Author Topic: FS2 Spiritual Successor  (Read 3300 times)

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
FS2 Spiritual Successor
At this point, baring an Interplay liquidation and asset sell-off FS3 will likely not be made. They are not interested in the game and its hard to say how commercially successful a space-sim would fare in the current market. They were big 17 years ago but very few are out there, and of the few most are niche games. I believe however there is still demand based on the positive response of Star Citizen. Some of that might be due to people who loved FS2 half a lifetime ago. But in light of that, I would like to talk spiritual successors in the same way Supreme Commander was to Total Annihilation. Most likely it would have a different storyline, but with modern technology and gaming techniques it may not have the linear mission play style. Perhaps semi-procedural missions? Career-path storyline where it can diverge based on your results instead of a pass-fail next mission/replay. What would you like to see in any spiritual successor and what wouldnt you like to see?

Lots of
-Missions
-Different playthroughs
-Co-op multiplayer campaign
-Modability (hey lets mod it to be just like FS2!)

Forgets
-MMO (dealbreaker)
-DLC microtransactions
-online only
-open world gameplay (as neat as this sounds it would break immersion unless done right)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: FS2 Spiritual Successor
I'd like to see the plot of Morrigan in the Sunglare by Seth Dickinson turned into a fully-fledged space combat sim with compelling characters and interesting plot twists. Similar to how  Fire in the Hole by Elmore Leonard was used a pilot to flesh out Justified the TV show.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'd like to see the plot of Morrigan in the Sunglare by Seth Dickinson turned into a fully-fledged space combat sim with compelling characters and interesting plot twists.

So you mean Blue Planet? Okay.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Luis Dias

Don't you hate when someone explains the joke you just told back to you? Especially when you had already given all the possible hints.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Don't you hate when someone explains the joke you just told back to you? Especially when you had already given all the possible hints.

No. It's great.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
BP has too much FS2 content to be a "Spiritual" successor. I'd welcome it as an actual successor, but Interplay wouldn't. The storyline could likely be worked into a standalone, but I think that for a true spiritual successor, we're better off with something new.

My propositions:
Take hints from other space sims, too. Wing Commander had more extensive, flight-sim inspired damage system and actual carrier landings. X-Wing: Alliance had better cockpit interaction and the ability to control turrets. Those could be worked into a modern space sim.

Use Oculus Rift and related tech to a full extent. In general, take hints from flight simulators with regards to cockpit interaction. It should be completely optional, but done right, it could add a lot of immersion. If budget permits, go for DCS-like cockpits with a lot of unnecessary buttons to press. Manual startup sequences appeal to certain sort of pilots, though again, this all should be optional.

Easy to learn, hard to master. FS2 got that perfectly. I'd say, go further in that direction. Don't overcomplicate weapons too much, but keep them challenging to use. One should be able to just pick up a ship, press a button and fly, but to master it, some training should be needed.

Out of cockpit interaction. This is another thing to learn from Wing Commander. Interactive cutscenes at the very least, maybe even a full FPS mode, allowing you to walk around the ship and talk to characters. This was one of the best things about Wing Commander, and an FPS mode would open yet another modding alley.

Capship command should be an option from the start. While I don't think it should be in focus, large bombers would use similar functions. Basic crew management system could be present, to give some presence to turret gunners, for example. It should have the groundwork for a capship simulation, even if actually implementing it would be up to modders.

Advanced AI, able to hold out on it's own without constant handholding or tight, rigid mission scripting. That's a big problem with FS2, IMO. Capships, even small ones, are hard to use and pretty much require a rigid script to go with. Fighters only do what they're told in most general terms. A modern space sim of the same complexity as FS should be able to address this problem, the only thing acting like FS2 capships should be carriers and battleships (and even those, when allowed to act on their AI, should act reasonably). Done right, it'd add to mission replayability.

Believable atmospheric physics. In atmo, it should play a bit like an arcade-ish flight sim. The flight model should be easy to use, but distinct from space-based one and realistic (think Starshatter).

Modding. FS2 doesn't need you to learn any programming languages in order to mod it. I'd rather have it stay that way. Scripting should stay, but the groundwork for all kinds of features should be in there already, ready to be used with just table editing.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
BP has too much FS2 content to be a "Spiritual" successor. I'd welcome it as an actual successor, but Interplay wouldn't. The storyline could likely be worked into a standalone, but I think that for a true spiritual successor, we're better off with something new.
Joke aside, if someone found Morrigan in the Sunglare lying around and made a game around it, it would look completely different from Blue Planet.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
It'd almost certainly be an FPS, would change Simms to be a man and Steele would wield two twin chainguns.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
It'd almost certainly be an FPS, would change Simms to be a man and Steele would wield two twin chainguns.

Whoa, I'd play that, too.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just speaking personally, but a Big No for me would be any gestures towards Newtonian-esque flight models.  I've tried out one or two games with an "inertial mode" feature, and the dogfights seemed to devolve into these really tiresome long-range jousting matches.  FS is at its best when you're right on an enemy's tailpipe, matching them turn for turn.  I like my luminiferous aether and WW1-in-space flight model, dammit!

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Just speaking personally, but a Big No for me would be any gestures towards Newtonian-esque flight models.  I've tried out one or two games with an "inertial mode" feature, and the dogfights seemed to devolve into these really tiresome long-range jousting matches.  FS is at its best when you're right on an enemy's tailpipe, matching them turn for turn.  I like my luminiferous aether and WW1-in-space flight model, dammit!

Have you tried X3:Terran Conflict or X3:Albion Prelude? It has the inertial physics to some degree, and dogfighting can be very FS2esque at times. It also does a decent job incorporating capships (no beams just lots of bombardment) and battles tend to be close in. Lots of careful orbiting needed to take down a corvette sized vessel. Its a decent game except when it comes to controlling other craft. Its pretty much impossible to conduct a battle without mods. It has alot going for it, but its not quite there.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Which is kinda hilarious when you remember that Simms was a man in the early drafts. Also, Steele would probably have monologues about how he's gonna "**** up those fedskinned hippy*****es."

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

Which is kinda hilarious when you remember that Simms was a man in the early drafts. Also, Steele would probably have monologues about how he's gonna "**** up those fedskinned hippy*****es."

Are all AAA dialogues so effing lame/crass? Where did all the good writers go?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

It's a joke, Thaeris.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I actually do realize it was a joke; at the same time... it's not as much of a joke as you think.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I agree. Diaspora-style flight model would be best. Strafing and sliding should be available, but still "airplanes in space" at its core. Of course, all with actual RCS effects, like in Diaspora. In general, I think that Diaspora nailed the flight model to use in a modern space sim. Newtonian flight model, while interesting on its own, is very hard to fight in, especially using guns (you've pretty much got to have either beams, or ultra-high ROF autocannons).

Offline qwadtep

Serkr Team as cheesy MGS-style bosses

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
The "Tri-Beamer" buds.