Author Topic: PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace  (Read 11736 times)

PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace
ok, so I'm a complete noob to the freespace Open source code project, and I apologize if this is a question with an obvious answer, but when installing it, how do I know where the GOG setup package is? each time i've tried I couldn't find it, and I thought that it meant wherever the install file from GOG.com is. again, if this is a stupid question I'm sorry, but i'm really stumped here. also, when I choose to put the instillation directory into the freespace 2 folder, the one that has the data files for the game, (C:\Program files(x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2) it tells me that it can't make a temporary file there, yet anywhere else, I can, yet I get the feeling it needs to be where freespace 2 is. I am so lost in this that I'm afraid if I try to get creative, I'll just bork my PC
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:28:46 pm by PhoenixE01 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace
ok, so I'm a complete noob to the freespace Open source code project, and I apologize if this is a question with an obvious answer, but when installing it, how do I know where the GOG setup package is? each time i've tried I couldn't find it, and I thought that it meant wherever the install file from GOG.com is. again, if this is a stupid question I'm sorry, but i'm really stumped here. also, when I choose to put the instillation directory into the freespace 2 folder, the one that has the data files for the game, (C:\Program files(x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2) it tells me that it can't make a temporary file there, yet anywhere else, I can, yet I get the feeling it needs to be where freespace 2 is. I am so lost in this that I'm afraid if I try to get creative, I'll just bork my PC
If you're on Windows, you don't need to let the installer install the GOG version for you, because you can just... run the GOG installer.

The specific problem you're having is that you're trying to install FSO into "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)" in this case), which is running afoul of UAC. It is highly recommended that you install FS2 to someplace like C:\Games\Freespace2 and then run the FSO Installer on that directory (not only does this avoid UAC, but it also reduces the length of the path FSO is installed to, which can avoid other problems).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

thanks a bunch, I'll try this and see what happens, if I have any other problems, I'll be back. let's just hope that the only reason i'll be back is to say that it works

ok, so it's installing but I have a question about the launcher. will it automatically find the freespace exe or do I have to find that through the launcher myself?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You'll need to select it in the launcher. Shouldn't be too scary.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If you're on Windows 8, you may need to install wxLauncher as the 5.5g Launcher apparently has problems with Windows 8.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

yeah, i'm on windows 8, I have no idea where to get that launcher or if there's anything I need to do with it other than download it and install it

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
yeah, i'm on windows 8, I have no idea where to get that launcher or if there's anything I need to do with it other than download it and put it into the freespace folder with all the SCP stuff.
wxLauncher can be found here. It has its own installer; it doesn't go in your FSO folder, it gets installed as a separate program.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

I really appreciate the help. thanks for putting up with me through this XD

ok, so using the wx launcher, it tells me that I need to select the rot folder. does that mean to select the main freespace 2 folder in Local disk C:/games?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You want to select the folder containing the copy of Freespace2; this I presume for you: C:\Games\Freespace2
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

ok, so I have it all installed and I can play from it, but the moment I try to play anything that uses the MediaVPs, I get this

Weapon explosion 'Shivan_impact01' does not have an LOD0 amin!
ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject +  12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! Warning + 416 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! weapon_explosions::Load + 296 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_weapon + 9060 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_weaponstbl + 172 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! parse_modular_table +267 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! weapon_init + 101 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! game_init + 1738 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_2_7_RC2_NO-SSE-DEBUG.exe! _tmainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadlnitThunk + 14 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtllnitializeExceptionChain + 132 Bytes
ntdll.dll! RtllnitializeExceptionChain + 90 bytes

then it says yes to break into debugger, no to continue, or cancel to quit. I hit yes to use the debugger and then it says "freespace 2 open has stopped working" and crashes. I'm at a loss and have no idea what to do with this or how to fix it

Offline m!m

You are using a Debug build which does additional error checking which is not important if you just want to play the game. In the wxLauncher there should be an executable selection (I think it's in the third tab). Select a build that doesn't have "Debug" at the end.

ok, that went a bit better, except I'm still getting an error message.

Could not load in 2_commandBrief-mb!
ntdll.dll! NtWaitforsingleObject + 12 bytes
KERLANBASE.DLL! WaitForSingleObject + 18 Bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RD2NO-SSE.exe! <no symbol>

I'm getting this now and I have no idea what it means, on top of that, I can't get the really good graphics in the mods that should have them. like trancend for example. it's really bothering me that I can't figure out what to do to gat these working properly
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:29:04 am by PhoenixE01 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Have you installed both the mediavps_3612 and mediavps_2014 using the installer? (I'm guessing Transcend wants the mediavps_3612 and you haven't installed them, you've only installed mediavps_2014)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
on top of that, I can't get the really good graphics in the mods that should have them. like trancend for example
As niffiwan noted, not all mods have been updated to use the 2014 MediaVPs. If you don't have both them and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs installed, you won't get improved visuals in every mod the installer installs.

As an aside, there's no reason for you to be using a non-SSE build. I can't imagine any CPU running Windows 8 being old enough that it doesn't support SSE2.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

All I've done so far is download the installer for FS2 Open, got the launcher and tried running it without the debug. I have the strangest feeling that I'll have a long list of things ahead of me, and at present, I have no idea what I need to do. I feel like the installer should have had the VPs for everything already, including the older stuff, but then again, I just don;t get half the stuff i'm seeing. what I really need is a detailed step by step guide on what I need, where to get it, and what to do with it all from beginning to end.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK.  Try this :)

1) Install Freespace2 from the GoG installer to c:\games\freespace2 (done)
2) Install Java (done)
3) Run the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar; select "Complete" or select individual mods as you wish, just ensure you get 3.7.2RC2 (done) and both mediavps_3612 & mediavps_2014
4) Install wxLauncher, set the root dir to c:\games\freespace2 (done), select a "release" executable (done) and select a mod you want to play (done)
5) Run Freespace Open

The mod dependencies can get a little confusing, but as long as you've got both sets a mediavps (aka upgraded models, effects, etc) installed, you shouldn't have any issues.
----
----

there's still something wrong, now it just crashes when going to the campaign ready room. I'm still getting the last error message

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, this must be getting frustrating, but I'm sure we can fix it.  Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. (yes, that will mean running the DEBUG exec again, just this once)
----
----