Author Topic: Modview Source Code  (Read 20118 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Modview Source Code
I'm just curious but is the source code for modview available somewhere? Or does anyone have it on hand on their hard drive, etc?

If this is posted in the wrong place then please move it, I wasn't sure where to post it.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Modview Source Code
Yes, it's available somewhere.

Offline Hades

Any idea where? I'm curious because someone asked me if I knew where it was in a discussion about the program. I guess he wants to try and update it to today's standards (glow-points, etc) because he and I both have negative thoughts about PCS 2.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Excellent idea.

And I found the code by looking on the Descent Network site.

Also, read this thread.  Search is A-1 SUPAR.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you would probably also have to support shield collision as well for full compatibility with current pof specs. pmf format support would be good too :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, to revive this piece of software a bit, I have put in some work to get it to compile on VS2010.

It compiles, but beware of any lingering bugs. The author made a few very, very wrong assumptions about VC's scoping behaviour, and how it wouldn't be changed from VC6's buggy implementation. I may have introduced some errors where none were before.

Get it here: http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/E/ModelViewSource.7z

EDIT: ModelView project on Google Code, started by yours truly: http://code.google.com/p/modelview/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:22:21 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

Thank you very much.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
OMG is this really happening!?

:nervous:

Don't wake me!

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's only happening if other people can come forward to start helping (and yes, bug reports and feature requests etc ARE helping, so go to the Google Code page I linked to and start entering them!).

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I hate to be mister negative here but doesn't this project divide up already thin resources?  Having the source is great but why try to revive a long dead util?  Would it not be better to implement the best features into PCS2? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
ModView has the advantages of stability and user-friendliness, both of which are very important.  You could just as easily make the case that people should implement the best features of PCS2 into Modelview.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Either way having 2 different projects is a waste of programming assets.  Maybe the real goal should be a new conversion program that is the best of both worlds.  PCS2 already has the advantages of dds support, high poly support, glow points, etc. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A brand new program would be precisely the wrong thing to do; why start from scratch when you can build upon something that already exists?

The consensus seems to be that the PCS2 codebase is very hard to work with, and this is complicated by the facts that 1) the PCS2 code repository isn't available for new members; 2) the most recent PCS2 code isn't even in the repository.  In contrast, the Modelview source code is freely available, well organized, and well documented.

In view of these facts, focusing on Modelview would seem to be the better choice.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I didn't mean start from scratch.  Start with either PCS2 or modelview (probably PCS2 as it's more up to date with features and compatibility) and start a new project that pulls the best into one program. 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
With all due respect, FUBAR, but you might have a point if anyone was actually working on PCS2. There is no indication of that beyond a few posts around here saying "I'll get around to it".

And after sticking my head into the modelview code, I'd have to concur with Goober's assessment that it is easier to work with. For one, it can be made to compile on modern systems rather easily. Second, it does (at this point) not require any external framework.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:11:03 am by The E »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
And after sticking my head into the modelview code, I'd have to concur with Goober's assessment that it is easier to work with. For one, it can be made to compile on modern systems rather easily. Second, it does (at this point) not require any external framework.
I assume that means it only runs on windows?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, since it is a MFC application. Changing that is on the To-Do list, but I'd rather have a non-memory-leaking, updated version running on Win before tackling that.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's probably one of the stronger arguments for working on PCS2 instead, we've already got support for most of the formats we need, it's already a wx application, etc.  Moving from MFC obviously takes some time, as we've seen with trying to get FRED away from it.  I'd rather see efforts towards a cross platform app.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure, PCS2 being a wx app already has its benefits. Ideally, a merged application combining PCS2's functionality with ModelView's UI would be preferred.

But how long are we going to wait for development on PCS2 to pick up again?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I like PCS2's UI...
I just don't like its error messages.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================