Author Topic: The Ursa  (Read 17526 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
What is truly funny, is that if you had an Ursa with Helios second mission... well, say goodbye to the Iceni.

And on anything above medium, say goodbye to survival 0.o

You can disable the Iceni in that mission with just an SDG

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
The Romans Blunder + SDG

"I fear your valiant efforts to stop me have failed, pilots. You would be well advised to question the wisdom of your leaders. Helm, engage subspace drive."

"Uhh...helm?"

This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Wow, you were able to disable it? How? I've set my Myrmidon to full engine power and afterburners and I can't get closer than missile range.

BTW, in FS1 any kind of bomber is worthless. In FS2 there's a big gap between what damage a fighter does to a ship and what a bomber can do, but in FS1 even the Harbinger is relatively weak and you can actually get more damage in on a capship by flying your Apollo real close to the enemy destroyer and firing away with both barrels of Prometheus. Harbingers and Tsunamis are crap because 1) you need a lock to fire them, 2) they get shot down, and 3) they have a godawfully long reload time.

My capship killer of choice is the Athena, which can carry 20 Phoenix, which don't need a lock to be fired and can do a surprising ammount of damage (about 1% hull loss on any destroyer). Just get real close to the target and fire away at point blank, ordering in the support ship every few seconds.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:39:49 am by Mustang19 »

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
What is truly funny, is that if you had an Ursa with Helios second mission... well, say goodbye to the Iceni.

Doesn't matter, it warps anyway. And it's indestructible

:D Don't ask.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
its indestructible?

I shot it with a BFRed and killed it...

i dont think its ever indestructible, really....
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

I've tried that, but was never able to completely disable it.  I loaded my Myrmidon with Disruptors in the quad-bank and went for the engines and disabled it, only to find that the remaining engine subsystem seemed impervious.  There may be an event designed to ship-invulnerable the Iceni it it gets down to just one engine subsystem.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Even if you could disable the Iceni it would still jump out. It's using a departure cue not an ai-warpout order.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
oh...isnt that the engine subsystem that simply has no hitpoints?

thought that was on the Sathy, but i guess i could be wrong...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I doubt you could really disable it, though. Even on Very Easy spamming Tempests in addition to HL-7 fire I fell about 20% short on the last engine.

The SDG doesn't work for that job because it'll eat through your energy much too fast for you to disable the Iceni.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
I doubt you could really disable it, though. Even on Very Easy spamming Tempests in addition to HL-7 fire I fell about 20% short on the last engine.

The SDG doesn't work for that job because it'll eat through your energy much too fast for you to disable the Iceni.

You can't even pick your loadout in that mission...so im assuming we use ~+w here....

IMO the Iceni is simply built for you to see only its tail section as it warps away...sort of adds to Bosch's mystique.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
The Romans Blunder + SDG

"I fear your valiant efforts to stop me have failed, pilots. You would be well advised to question the wisdom of your leaders. Helm, engage subspace drive."

"Uhh...helm?"

Someone plays on very easy :p

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
lol ive never actually disabled the Iceni....i just thought it would be funny if it did happen

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
You disable it in the mission before.... Place of Chariots I think?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

You can't even pick your loadout in that mission...so im assuming we use ~+w here....

IMO the Iceni is simply built for you to see only its tail section as it warps away...sort of adds to Bosch's mystique.
We're talking Mission 2, you're talking Mission 3.  In mission 2 when you find the asteroid base, attack it, cause it to break-up, which releases the Iceni, there's a brief window of opportunity to attack its engines, but it jumps out before that can be done.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I am convinced it can be done... I just don't have the patience to try over and over again.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
It can, however it has an impropor departure que to trigger it to warp regardless, so you will fail the mission. you also need to cheat to do it.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
They should have just fixed the engines before it does jump out.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It can, however it has an impropor departure que to trigger it to warp regardless, so you will fail the mission. you also need to cheat to do it.

One of the missions where you canot proceed if you do what Command says.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope. The Iceni will still jump if you manage to disable it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

One of the missions where you canot proceed if you do what Command says.

Which one?