Author Topic: Shivan Countermeasure  (Read 12653 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ok, I made this in about an hour in Wings3D tonight. It might benefit from being unwrapped again by someone competent, because basically I just tried to find 'interesting' bits on the generic shivan missiles texture, and there may be too much going on in the texture the way I have it.

Bottom-left image is side-view; the right edge of that is the back (i.e. the side that faces the pursuing fighter). The image in the bottom right corner is the rear view (facing the pursuer), top-right is the front view, and the other two are top/bottom views. It's got 3-way symmetry, because I reckon it looks ok this way.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
It looks like it could double well as a missile head.

How large on average is it?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Some perspective views might by nice...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It looks like it could double well as a missile head.

How large on average is it?

I scaled it to about 2.4 meters long, 1.5 meter radius, based on the existing countermeasure, which according to PCS2 is 2.6 meters across.

I'll get an iso/perspective shot in a second.

Edit: here's a perspective shot:

It's a rear view, so this is sort of what you would see if you were pursuing a fighter and it used this on you... if you were a missile.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:44:14 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hmm. Looks cool. :)

Offline watsisname

I agree, looks cool and quite Shivan.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm going to do a little bit of polygon trimming on the model... it's 378, whereas the current shared-GTVA one is 348.

It's not a huge increase, but since I'm going to be making a lower-detail version anyway, I might as well look for unneeded stuff while I'm at it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Nah leave it at 378. 30 polies is nothing.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If something lags because of 30 polies, whatever it is needs an upgrade.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

I'm attaching the wings/3ds/obj again. Obviously it will need somebody to do a proper unwrapping/texturing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
LODs on a countermeasure is a bad idea.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Maybe, but they do make LODs for missiles...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:wtf:

Why?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Can't say, though it almost makes sense. Why draw a detailed Treb model at full detail all the way out to its target? That would just be sloppy. On the flip side, I suppose you have to deal with more model data for a little object being stored in memory.

In general, however, it happens. Just go crack open the Harpoon .pof as an example. You'll find it has what amounts to a LOD 0, 1, and 2. Doing the same for a countermeasure doesn't sound like a bad idea.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Always a good idea to have at least one LOD, so the models being used thousands of klicks away and are the size of a single pixel aren't at full detail.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline -Norbert-

I think it would make a very good light shivan bomb (the shivan equivalent of the tsunami/cyclops).

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Or Shivan hornet type missile - Small but deadly.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
LODs on a countermeasure is a bad idea.

The existing countermeasure already has 2 LODs: the high-poly one (338) and the low-poly one (24).

And I like the existing Shivan bomb (the one with the two forward prongs) the way it is... In fact, I oppose any motion to replace it with this thing :p

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Ah, but since you already put the .obj file, nothing's stopping us from using it to make light Shivan bombs with your countermeasure!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ah, but I would make a frowny face at you if you did that.