Author Topic: How should Torpedos work?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
How should Torpedos work?
What would you like more, should the Torpedos work like in Wing Commander 3+4 or more like in WC Prophecy?

Just to remind you:

WC P----> destroy every subsystem with your Torps to kill
WC3+4-->  just fire at the Enemy
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
WC3. Seems kinda.. more natural.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
that is also my oppinion. It is kinda unnatural if you have to eliminate each part of the ship in order to destroy it

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
That's kinda neat. Maybe you could incorporate a system that allows subsystems to get damaged, but sitting there shooting at one turret for an hour wouldn't kill the ship, although if the ship had 2% hull integrity left and you blew up a fresh turret and it brought it down to 0%, then it should die.

In otherwords, Major subsystems like the Engine or Reactor or whatever you can do an overall 75% damage to the ship through and lesser subsystems like the weapons or sensors you can do an overall of 25% damage to (each) and turrets and such you can only do 5% or so.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Torpedo bombers DIDN'T have to shoot each and every ship's turret, before.

Why should it be any different here?

And, of course WELCOME!
( I do hope you don't leave the other site though). There is a lot of bush-burning around here. Also, this forum tends to have some connections to  SIR CRASHALOT :)

I so much want the WC2 pack released. What is the progress on that?  (From what I see in Standoff, Eder has only 13 ships left of ALL of those that were in WC2-(if I understand correctly what he wrote in his forum.))
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, as far as I know we have the Rapier MK2, Ferret,  Sabre, Broadsword, Crossbow, Morningstar, TCS Gilgamesh,  TCS Concordia, Dralthi MK3, Drakhri, Sartha, Gothri, Grikath, Fralthi... perhaps  I forgot something :D

Anyway, we seek someone who is good in 2D art. We have to make new textures for several WC2 ships. Anyone? :D

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Maybe it would help in the decision about how torps should work that all Cap ships are shielded and normal fighter weapons are to weak to penetrate the shield of a cap....or lets say that is how we planed it.
We have to make shields for all the caps, but our first test looks ok so that all cap ships will be shielded....as they where in WC.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Gevatter it sounds like you're talking about the Phased Shields in WC2, where only torpedoes could penetrate them.

Personally for WC1/3+ period campaigns I'd like to see the WC3/4 system of torpedoes and cap-ship damage. (Where dumbfires can serve as "Poor man's torps")

For WC2 campaigns I'd like to see Phase Shields on capships and only torpedoes and other cap-ship weapons can penetrate them.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Yes I mean the phase shield from WC2, but we want to use them for every cap ship like its mentioned in the Wing Commander Novels. As you can read there every ship has phase shields, even the WC1 Ships and befor the development of the Torpedo the only thing that could damage cap ship shields where quite hugh weapons like the Antimater guns and other cap ship weapons.

But back to the Torpedo question...its more about the targeting system. Do you need to take out every subsystem to destroy a ship or do you just fire them in the right direction.

Beside that I have encountert a problem with smaller Rocketes. Sometimes they get throught the shield. Strange but true...well maybe it has something to do with the shield mesh. We will take a look at that when we have some time for that problem.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"