Author Topic: RELEASE - Into the Halls of Valhalla  (Read 30012 times)

Re: RELEASE - Into the Halls of Valhalla
Very much enjoying the campaign so far.  I like the Valhalla's approach to combat.  It's like death by a thousand paper cuts instead of being skewered by a knife.

I am having a problem in the missions towards the end when I get to fly a modified Apollo.  Whenever the Apollo is a flyable ship, I get a CTD if I try to go to the "select ship" screen.  I can still choose my weapons, just not my ship.

I didn't start the campaign with a "brand new" pilot file, so that could be causing it, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had other ideas.  I'm using the latest setup from Turey's installer.

Also curious, were any of Lightspeed's nebulae used, or any other improved backgrounds?  'Cause all the backgrounds appear to be retail (which is fine if that was intended, I'm just a little surprised.)

Again, thanks!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
No idea about the Apollo thing, it probably doesn't have an icon and that causes the crash. Try the graphic setting which displays the 3-D model instead of its 2-D icon in the ship and weapon selection.

As for the nebulae: ITHOV uses no special, non-retail background. Nebulae are named like retail: neb01, dneb01 etc., so both retail and Lightspeed's nebulae should work.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

*Tips hat*

That did the trick.  Finished the campaign too.  Very nicely done.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
By the way, don't be frightened to bump this thread when needed. You have my permission. :p

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CKid

Here is a problem. Whenever I start the mission after Nowhere to hide, on the loading screen I get the following error:
          Error: Invalid subsystem name.
          In sexpression: ( when
              (true)
              (turret-lock
                  "PRCv Skeleton"
                  "turret25"
                  "turret26"
            )
          )
          (Error appears to be: turret25)
         File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.t\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
         Line: 5754
Any help would be great, Thanks.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
Finished first mission so far (I hadn't got time before to play it). Looks promising. :) Expect me to give full review in at most one week. ;)
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Someone care to explain what in gods name happened, like who killed Adliss, in the last mission :confused:
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
His character is unspecified. I guess it's not the character that is important, but the fact that he did what he did.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I just finished the campaign and I have to say its a good one but it could've been better. The ending was good and like you say if it lead to Blackwater Ops it would be better (I really want my explanation :P and sequels are always good to have).
Two things that I noticed that hurted the campaign are how the text is written, several things more so on the beginning are written, IMO, rather poorly and be could be better. The second is that the story should've been told better (some corrections in the dialogue could easily correct this), I didnt found out what Mcarthy was doing with the Shivans until Yssim talked to the Vasudan 6th Battlegroup, also the pirates werent presented in a good manner, I found myself asking ''Who is that guy?'' when the name of the pirate leader was mentioned but didnt even knew he was a pirate.

WOW @ the ending.

All I am going to say about that.

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
Haven't had time for playing this, so I've completed it just now. Campaign is above average, but not exellent. Idea of bad-guy-who-wants-to-control-Shivans was used before and gets boring. IMHO ITHoV was very good in beginning where you didn't know WTF is going on, but the closer it got to the end, it became more predictable and boring. Some plot stuff is unreallistic. Still I can give you overall grade 7/10.
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I wonder why I had massive slowdowns on the last mission every 30 seconds or so when I faced the Lucifer and the Hatshupset. It was a similar situation of what happened in the mission "Breaking Sirius 2" in the Flames of War campaign. It is hard to believe that with my system, I sometimes have slowdowns with FSO.

My system is:

Windows XP Professional OS
AMD Athlon 3200+ 64 bit processor
1 GB of DDR RAM 2700PC
SATA 7200 RPM hard drive
Radeon Viper X1600 512MB AGP 8X video card
2ms 1280x1024 monitor with DVI connection to the video card

Edit: Now it is slowing down in a mission it never did before. I'm now assuming that it is because I'm using a November CVS build. It was really hanging badly in even the first Flames of War mission and it didn't take much.

Strangness... my machine is similar to yours (only the graphics card is GForce 6800 GS, 256MB) and I had no slowdons whatsoever in neither campaign.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Haven't had time for playing this, so I've completed it just now. Campaign is above average, but not exellent. Idea of bad-guy-who-wants-to-control-Shivans was used before and gets boring. IMHO ITHoV was very good in beginning where you didn't know WTF is going on, but the closer it got to the end, it became more predictable and boring. Some plot stuff is unreallistic. Still I can give you overall grade 7/10.

It's a pity you didn't like it. To be honest, I don't know where it was used before, and it wasn't me who added this genetic-thingy to the plot.

Offline Dysko

To be honest, I don't know where it was used before
IIRC, it was used in Warzone.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
To the creator of this campaign:

Where did you take names like Cinquencento,Ambedue,Nessuno?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Those are existant Italian words. Why?

Offline Dysko

Probably he found a bit strange having ships named Five Hundred, Both Of Them and Nobody.

Actually, I didn't even notice them :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well I noticed them and almost suspected that the creator of the campaign was KARMA.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline neoterran

Karma ? who's that ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
KARMA is an Italian HLPer; he used to be the leader of the Star Wars Conversion project. He made the hi-poly Fenris in co-operation with Vasudan Admiral.

He's the most senior Italian HLPer.