Author Topic: SOON TO BE RELEASED: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17  (Read 50799 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: WIP: The Aftermath:Reboot by Herkie423 and Cyborg17
Darius have already given me the new Vexor and I have re-textured it. But it has a null moment of inertia and I tried to edit its POF but my PCS2 crashed. Its the same with the new models.
Which version of PCS2 are you running?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
It's the PCS 2.0.3 Stable ( May 15, 2008).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
ouch; go grab the latest version from this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77292.0
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks. Downloading now. I also need GIMP because I'm using Photoshop CS4 for textures unfortunately its not good for making normal and shine maps.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
CS4? Well... I can say that CS6 and CC handles it very well. GIMP has the best normalmap plugin when you are done with heightmap. I also recommend Paint.NET, as it's cool for making heightmaps.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

If I may ask are you going to use the same version of Archangel as before or is that getting an update like the Royal Sathanas did?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Well, I couldn't update the Archangel. It is an outdated model and there is no new version of it. I can not enhance the look either because it is tile-mapped, no freedom there. I do have a candidate for replacement. I downloaded the GTD Titan, not the BP ship. It is made after the Terran dreadnought us the game Sword of the Stars. It is moderately detailed and not heavy for the PC. I'm thinking about it. The Avenger, however, is replaced. A model that I myself have constructed or should I say edited to add more revolving turrets (using the PCS2). It was kind of small so I have to enlarge it. Anyway, I will post some screenshots.

Offline CT27

Those screenshots sound cool; I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
This is the replacement for the Avenger and the Boreas (the Boreas is just the smaller version). The Romulans will be pissed that I snatched one of their ships! :lol:

This is the potential replacement for the Archangel. A model inspired from the game, Sword of the Stars. Model by Vengence

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:13:39 pm by herkie423 »

Offline Darius

The Titan is by Vengence.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks for the correction. Updating post. I made table entries for this ship and added a turret in the model and enlarged it for the main gun.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:17:13 pm by herkie423 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
How did you manage to place such a big freakin' cannon here :P? This model is a single big skeleton. I have no idea how to add a oversized beam here and make it look good at once without custom modelling.

I found it as a good candidate for UEF jugg xD
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, I couldn't update the Archangel. It is an outdated model and there is no new version of it.

Might be a bit late, but if I recall correctly there was a work-in-progress updated version of the GTDn Archangel in Stratcomm's model dump.
Mind you, "updated" is merely meaning brought up to the old tilemapped high-poly Raynor/Titan level and not even close to say Aesaar's new versions and it's incomplete, but it does "exist".
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline CT27

I have a question about the new Avenger/Boreas (based on the Romulan ship) you're using.

The original Avenger/Boreas used a very long range blue ion cannon, but it looks like these new versions use purple beam cannons (beam cannons don't usually have the range that the ion cannons did).  Has there been a change in the weapons of these ships?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I have a question about the new Avenger/Boreas (based on the Romulan ship) you're using.

The original Avenger/Boreas used a very long range blue ion cannon, but it looks like these new versions use purple beam cannons (beam cannons don't usually have the range that the ion cannons did).  Has there been a change in the weapons of these ships?

Nope...Still the same. Except they have their own beams now with new sounds. Neutron beams with 7000 meter range.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
How did you manage to place such a big freakin' cannon here :P? This model is a single big skeleton. I have no idea how to add a oversized beam here and make it look good at once without custom modelling.

Well, through the POF editor PCS2. I copied one beam cannon submodel (flat), resized it, rotated it (use the transform option), and moved the duplicated model far back to the "fighter bay" wall (fighter bay special subsystem deleted) then adjusted the firing points far to the front. Table entry updated.

Offline CT27

Nope...Still the same. Except they have their own beams now with new sounds. Neutron beams with 7000 meter range.

Just to be sure I understand, this new Boreas/Avenger still has the super long-range ion cannon...it just also has the purple beams for shorter-range engagements?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Well, through the POF editor PCS2. I copied one beam cannon submodel (flat), resized it, rotated it (use the transform option), and moved the duplicated model far back to the "fighter bay" wall (fighter bay special subsystem deleted) then adjusted the firing points far to the front. Table entry updated.
Yup, Sherlock. This part I already figured out myself :P. I'm curious how it looks on current model.

Offline CT27

The picture of the new 7th BG has made it into the May 2016 HLP Newsletter.  Congratulations.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks CT. Oh yes, I correct myself. The weapons on the Avenger are 4 gun banks of Ion Cannons, 2 front long range (7000m) Neutron Beams (which you can actually control), very damaging, and 6 short range Neutron Beams. For the Boreas, 2 gun banks of Ion Cannons, 2 long range (6,500m) Neutron Beams but with less damaging. I added three types of Neutron Beams. Do you remember the mission "Dragon Slayer" where you battle 60 Ravanas and Demons? Now, half of them are Lucifer's and Sathanas.  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:36:42 am by herkie423 »