General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Article: |3375P34K

(1/1)

Setekh:

--- Quote ---Taken from atomic magazine:
Subcultures abound in the wide world of the Web. One bizarre phenomenon is the appropriation of language to what is known as |3375P34K or LeetSpeak as us mere mortals would say.
|3375P34K involves the replacem3nt of lettesr with numbesr. There is of course varying degrees of |337ness, up to and including highly advanced variants which utilise brackets and symbols to create an illusion of lettering.
It is a good way to inspire fear in your online gaming foes. When sitting at the top of the frag count nothing inspires respect than a quickly typed "PH34R MY |337 5K| ||z" or "| 0WN j00 4| |".
As one becomes more proficient at being |337 it starts to permeate into the rest of one's life. Rather than saying good morning, your greetings will become "Heya J00". After finally managing to get a seat on a peak hour train, you scream at the other commuters "I RoX00r J00 4| |, PH34R MY +337 5K| ||z".
The cravings are much more insidious. Not content to settle with the basic degree of basic |337n355, there is a desire to delve much deeper. This usually involves long periods of holding the shift key and bushing numbers to see what works. Brackets become your friend and you start using multiple symbols to replace single letters and even words, for example humble letter P becomes |>, M becomes |\/|, 'for' becomes 4. Soon you are typing sentenes like "|>#34|2 |\/|3 4 | 4|\/| |3373|2 7|-|@|\| j00".
Like any addiction, it just keeps on getting more complex. You find your friends drifting away as they have less and less clue about what you are saying. Rather than return to a world of legible writing the inclination is to move further towards indecipherability.
In a final blast of |337N355, alternative modes of expression may be used, imagine how your friends and enemies will cower in |>|-|34|2 when you hit them with a string of binary. It is then that people will truly give you the respect you deserve and you can truly call yourself 01001100 01000101 01000101 01010100.
--- End quote ---

Darkage:
lol

------------------
 [email protected]

NeoHunter:
  I still have no idea what language that is and how to decipher it.  

------------------
GTD Excellence
NeoHunter<             [b][email protected][/b]                           >                  

Upcoming campaign: NTF Saga

Culloden:
!!LOL!!

------------------
Culloden - 16th April 1746

Martinus:
I have the same language skills as Corben Dallas, I only speak two languages, english and bad english.

All this elite speak is giving me a headache  

------------------
Sushido - The way of the tuna...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version