Archived Boards > Stellar Assault

Feather 2 Development Log

(1/6) > >>

Thaeris:
After a multitude of rough sketches, incomplete formal ones (which are now obsolete), and many, many attempts at getting a drawing of the rear fuselage just right, I finally figured that the best way to get it right was to make a model... And thus we begin.

I am not certain if this model will be selected for use in our project upon its completion, but until otherwise directed I will continue to progress upon it with the utmost of my skill. That said, I'll keep this place open to our team to log the progress being made on a scratch-build Feather 2, which will ideally be the last one we'll need or want. Given our track record, that's not a guarantee, but if nothing else it is good practice.

This was the primitive form of the model first demonstrated to Quanto - there's not much there, as you can see. The current plan is to rely on the approved revision of the lateral profile of the Feather 2 with appropriate deviations to the dorsal profile as seen in the 32X version of the game. Of course, that was just after a few minutes of work...

This was the intermediate phase of the model up until now. After being bothered by areas I couldn't get smoothed just right, the detail was increased so I could get the aft fuselage at least closer to what was intended. During class today, I came to the realization that this is just too much to work with at this stage in the model...

The sloution? DESTROY IT! Or, some of the edge loops at least. Remarkably, the model actually looks better when it lost some of the detail. However, I should note that the current form would not be possible if not for the earlier iteration of the model, which assisted me in getting some of the shape detail where it needed to be. It just goes to show that even when you omit several loops, the detail can still stick around.

That said, I'll wait a few days before posting another update unless otherwise prompted. I can also upload some of my rough drawings if you really need me to as well.

General Battuta:
I like that general outline. Classy and minimalist.

Thaeris:
By the time it's done, it won't be so minimalist... but it will, God willing, be ever so classy.

:pimp:

General Battuta:
Well don't go too far into greebleland. The SAFSO art style as a whole seems classy and minimalist.

Thaeris:

I've done a few models for our project already. I'll note those were more detailed than was desired for in-game usage, but the style was more than appropriate. I assure you that between Quanto and I, this model will be be appropriately detailed for use within Stellar Assault.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version