Author Topic: Small gameplay video  (Read 13792 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Enjoy the first video, feedback much appreciated. Read description of the video on youtube.

Also, download this for a youtube unmutilated, 188 megabytes in size, 1280x1024, 30fps version of the video. Probably a lot better quality to boot.

Second video, demonstrating the revised flak effect. Full resolution version availible here, 38 or so megabytes to download.

There be a THIRD video here. Thank Scourge Of Ages for that one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:19:54 am by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Feedback?
Anyone ?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I don't know what that background was supposed to be, but it looks frickin epic! And the sounds... it definitely felt and sounded really different to FS, and I liked it a lot. I'd never heard of Homeworld before I joined HLP, but yeah, this looks awesome.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Looks a lot like HW2, sounds like it too.  The sounds are a tad muffled to me, but it's ok.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Certainly does Homeworld justice. Worthy of being based on it in my opinion.

Okay, really, really nice. Heh, I always liked the idea of flying a Hiigaran fighter. But for that matter. I didn't like the weird small explosions in the first video. Dunno, looked very weird. 0:42 as an example.
Also, the ships looked really really slow compared to how I remember HW2...
The capship battle looked  :eek:, but I saw one turret go down pretty easily.... 3:09-3:10 to see what I mean
Also, the trails on the missiles could do with a bit more work.
The backgrounds were very, very nice, the ships looked pretty amazing too:D You are definitely on the right trail!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Looks a lot like HW2, sounds like it too.  The sounds are a tad muffled to me, but it's ok.
The sounds are crap to be honest, 11kHz stuff upsampled to 48kHz, go figure why it sounds like crap.

Okay, really, really nice. Heh, I always liked the idea of flying a Hiigaran fighter. But for that matter. I didn't like the weird small explosions in the first video. Dunno, looked very weird. 0:42 as an example.
Ahh, the flak explosion effect. It still uses one of FSO effects for something. Forgot to change it i guess, my deepest apologies...
Also, the ships looked really really slow compared to how I remember HW2...
The capship battle looked  :eek:, but I saw one turret go down pretty easily.... 3:09-3:10 to see what I mean
Also, the trails on the missiles could do with a bit more work.
The backgrounds were very, very nice, the ships looked pretty amazing too:D You are definitely on the right trail!
egads the turrets. i always want to do something about that and i always promptly forget -.-

Offline -Sara-

:yes: : Feels a lot like HW2. Even down to the engine sounds! Really makes me want to play it.

:no: : The Freespace HUD is a splash of cold water to the face. I think for such a mod it'd really help to create a minimalist's HUD with a thin crosshair, ridding the side brackets etc and making the target window and all other details a whole lot more slim. That way it can give this already great looking mod SUCH a fresh look that it'd no longer feel like a FS2 mod (but more like a total conversion on it's own). Alternately maybe the player can be forced to play in third-person view.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Its all placeholder. Even though i'm off the team now, I can tell ya that this is allin the works.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:yes: : Feels a lot like HW2. Even down to the engine sounds! Really makes me want to play it.

:no: : The Freespace HUD is a splash of cold water to the face. I think for such a mod it'd really help to create a minimalist's HUD with a thin crosshair, ridding the side brackets etc and making the target window and all other details a whole lot more slim. That way it can give this already great looking mod SUCH a fresh look that it'd no longer feel like a FS2 mod (but more like a total conversion on it's own). Alternately maybe the player can be forced to play in third-person view.
i didnt get around to remaking the HUD yet :D Thanks for the feedback tho :)

Also, first post updated with the second video.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I think you got the feel and look of it right. An updated HUD would be needed, I'm sure, seems like the HUD is kind of 'trademark' now - we associate FS very closely with it.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Gameplay wise in HW2 a single fighter is nearly worthless, It makes for a difficult transition into a first person fight sim. I noticed that the autocannon is fairly weak, just as it was in the original. Will the player be able to respawn as other fighters or do something else to affect the game? Or will you rebalance things to make single fighters more powerful like in Freespace?

The shotgun flak from the HW2 flak frigate looks more like the Karuna shotgun flak in BP:WIH. With the smokey residue. Not a huge thing, but it would add to that homeworld feel.

Looks nice overall, this mod has a lot of potential.   
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I was not too impressed by the video, to be honest. One of the things I found particularly strange was the huge size of the torpedoes, which was just... impractical looking. Personally, I think scaling down those ship-to-ship torpedoes would be a good idea.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Only watched about the first 2 mins of the video, I'll try to get the rest later.

Thus far, you're looking good. Fighter actions look the be occurring at high speeds, and dogfighting cannons aren't very powerful- good translation of Homeworld mechanics. To the player, this should mean intense, high-skill dogfights, aka- fun.

This will be a mod to watch- I'm certainly interested to see what you guys can accomplish.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Models are very well designed, backgrounds are amazing (except that weird purple swirly thing). Sounds need to be a little better/higher quality. I personally think that the new 3.6.12 flak looks more HW2 than what you have in place now. You also definitely need muzzle flashes, especially for the destroyer turrets to get the HW2 feel of those ballistic cannons. Maybe some smoke and stuff for when missles launch from destroyers as well? Don't know if thats possible though. And as was previously stated, you need to make sure that the fighters/bombers have a decent role to play in the bigger battles.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

With ALL turrets being destructible permanently, bombers will play a large role. When bombers play a large role, fighters also do.

BTW- What about setting everything that was indestructible (subsystems, turrets on some ships) in HW to untargetable and invulnarable in TAP?

As for the second vid, I noticed that the turrets have a near 0 rotation time. It was quite the opposite in HW. You could give realistic rotation times, and there should be a flag somewhere in the .tbl's that makes sure a gun doesn't fire until it's pointing at the target.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken