Author Topic: Freespace Port 3.0.3 Released!  (Read 56445 times)

Re: Freespace Port 3.0.3 Released!
OK Goober, I understood, thanks so far. It´s even no major prob to me, cause 2.3 runs fine with mods (and 3.0.3 without). My simple question was, if you are planning to make 3.0.3 compatible with mods in the future.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Making 3.0.3 compatible with other mods and retail would take up more space in the ships.tbl and it definately won't work anyway since most campaigns have modded ships in them, as I believe you may find out in the later missions of Derelict when the Saphah and Hydra show up. You might get a few unwanted Ulysses fighters floating around... You should move the FSPort out of your FreeSpace folder once the Saphah and Hydra come.

FSPort 2.3, if I may repeat, isn't compatible with mods, as you may find out if you play the campaigns with many new ships and weapons like Inferno.

Ignore me if you want, I thought I heard somewhere that .vp's are loaded alphabetically... ('D' opposed to 'F' in this case)

I thought when I put the mods in special folders these problems would not appear  :confused: Do I really have to remove some mod-folders when playing others??

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
My simple question was, if you are planning to make 3.0.3 compatible with mods in the future.

No!  That's such a ridiculous question that it proves you still need to learn how mods work.  Asking us to make the Port compatible with other mods is like asking Woomeister to make Inferno compatible with BWO.  It's ridiculously counterproductive to do that, since you'd basically be sticking two incompatible versions of ships.tbl back-to-back.  There's simply not enough room in ships.tbl to do that.  Even if there was, there are hundreds of mods for FS2 and it's mathematically impractical to make the Port compatible with all of them.

It was only possible to play FS2 and the Port simultaneously in 2.3 because we mushed the two ships.tbl together -- and we didn't do it very well.  There were numerous conflicts that caused errors in balance and prevented us from taking full advantage of the FS1 ship set.  This was a design flaw in the original version of the Port.  We've fixed it, and we have no intention of breaking it again.

The Port is only compatible with Port mods: mods that are played with the Port ships.  That's the way it should be; just as Inferno should only be compatible with Inferno mods.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
I've looked around but haven't found the simple, step by step on how to get the FS1 port working properly with FS2 Retail. I downloaded all the current 3.0.3 files and hmmm, no "Instructions for the person who's never used any mod in FS2 retail before." so I copied all the .vp files where the FS2 ones are.

Run FS2, create a new pilot, start the game and I get what must be the old FS1 main hall. Good so far!

Go to start the campaign and all it shows is Freespace 2. Hmmmm.... Select that and the mission breif and animation is the FS2 one, but the icons in the map don't show and all the actions in the training are the same as FS2, but the ships are different and my fighter has no weapons. Hey, shields?!? I thought FS1 had no shields?

So, where's the "FS1 Port for the compleat newbie" instructions?

P.S. I also get the maximum speed bug in the first training mission where it expects the player to go 66 for a couple seconds but the max speed is 70 so it doesn't work. Hitting page down reduces the maximum speed, but too much, so the script still won't go to the next step. Is there a key that adjusts the max speed in 1M/sec increments?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:51:42 am by bizzybody »
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I've looked around but haven't found the simple, step by step on how to get the FS1 port working properly with FS2 Retail. I

downloaded all the current 3.0.3 files and hmmm, no "Instructions for the person who's never used any mod in FS2 retail

before." so I copied all the .vp files where the FS2 ones are.

Run FS2, create a new pilot, start the game and I get what must be the old FS1 main hall. Good so far!

Go to start the campaign and all it shows is Freespace 2. Hmmmm.... Select that and the mission breif and animation is the

FS2 one, but the icons in the map don't show and all the actions in the training are the same as FS2, but the ships are

different and my fighter has no weapons. Hey, shields?!? I thought FS1 had no shields?

Did you download the mission pack or just the tables and art? Please list all the FSPort VP's you have and we'll probably be

able to help you more, saying that you've donwloaded everything doesn't help, as you might think you have but actually

haven't. And I'm guessing the ship you're talking about happens to be a Ulysses (bat like fighter). That obviously means

that you are playing the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign and not the Great War Campaign. I think you've done everything correctly

except for downloading the FreeSpace Port missions .vp file.

P.S. I also get the maximum speed bug in the first training mission where it expects the player to go 66 for a couple

seconds but the max speed is 70 so it doesn't work. Hitting page down reduces the maximum speed, but too much, so the script

still won't go to the next step. Is there a key that adjusts the max speed in 1M/sec increments?

If you download the mission file, then the training missions will be the FS1 missions, so this won't happen. But pressing - 

brings your speed down 2 m/s, I think, and pressing = will bring it up by 2 m/s.

I thought when I put the mods in special folders these problems would not appear  :confused: Do I really have to remove some mod-folders when playing others??

If you're using the -mod commandline correctly, then no. But if you are using the mod folders, then why is Derelict clashing with the FSPort? Something's not right here....

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
It has all the FS1 non-persona and non-traning voice messages.  The original stu_fs1 was missing a few files, particularly for multiplayer.

Thanks Goober. You've earned another question  :D (Next time think twice before answering ...)

Do you remember if the updated stu_fs1 and sparky_hi_fs1 contain only additions or if they have something changed within their original contents?

I ask this because I would like to know if I can save some HD space. I explain it better. Actually I've got 3 subdirs for port: one with 3.0, another with 2.3 and the last one with the common stuff, (FS1 movies, *_fs1.vps and so on). This "common" one is pointed through both MOD.INIs in the other two. If the updated stu_fs1 and sparky_hi_fs1 haven't got ANY changes in their original files, but just additions, I could move them from "3.0" to "common" and erase the old versions in "2.3" and both FSPort versions should keep working fine.

(I know I can extract all files from both vps and use WinDiff to see if their common content is exactly the same, but I'm a bit lazy ...    Forget me  :P)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

When starting the mission "Enter the Dragon", I'm sent to the desktop to look at the following popop:

Error: Invalid ship class name.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( true )
   ( allow-ship "SF Dragon#Terrans" )
)
(Error appears to be: SF Dragon#Terrans)
File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.t\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 5754
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Using latest fs1 port (3.0.3), and mediavps.  No other mods are used/installed. 

Note: I can alt-tab back into the game and play normally.  So... I guess it's not a big deal :D 

Besides this one thing, everything has been absolutely flawless so far!  Great job!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Do you remember if the updated stu_fs1 and sparky_hi_fs1 contain only additions or if they have something changed within their original contents?

I ask this because I would like to know if I can save some HD space. I explain it better. Actually I've got 3 subdirs for port: one with 3.0, another with 2.3 and the last one with the common stuff, (FS1 movies, *_fs1.vps and so on). This "common" one is pointed through both MOD.INIs in the other two. If the updated stu_fs1 and sparky_hi_fs1 haven't got ANY changes in their original files, but just additions, I could move them from "3.0" to "common" and erase the old versions in "2.3" and both FSPort versions should keep working fine.

There are additions, and there may be changes, but the 3.0 data should work with the 2.3 data just fine.  So you can put all the common stuff into the common folder.

When starting the mission "Enter the Dragon", I'm sent to the desktop to look at the following popop:

Yeah, sorry about that.  That's due to an unsynchronized upload of the mission pack; my fault entirely.  Using the very latest 3.6.9 build (RC7 or RC7dot8) should fix it for the time being.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Did you download the mission pack or just the tables and art? Please list all the FSPort VP's you have and we'll probably be able to help you more, saying that you've donwloaded everything doesn't help, as you might think you have but actually haven't.

All these were on the current version page, and since I have a shiny new GeForce 6500 and Athlon 64 3500+... :)

fsport-glow.vp
fsport-hi_res.vp
fsport-shine.vp
fsport-fs1_training.vp
sparky_hi_fs1.vp
fsport3_0_3.vp
warble_fs1.vp
stu_fs1.vp
tango_fs1.vp

Anything missing?

And I'm guessing the ship you're talking about happens to be a Ulysses (bat like fighter). That obviously means that you are playing the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign and not the Great War Campaign. I think you've done everything correctly except for downloading the FreeSpace Port missions .vp file.

Two other items, I did the extra high res texture hack to the Registry and I'm using the profiler for my Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D stick to launch the game.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Anything missing?

Yup.

FreeSpace Port 3.0 Mission Pack (904 kb) - All the missions from FreeSpace 1 and Silent Threat, including the standalone and multiplayer missions.

Hi Goober! Now I finally got everything work and I really enjoj this 3.0.3. Great work  :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great!  Sorry you had a corrupt root_fs2.vp; that was about the only possible thing that could have caused all your problems without being anybody's fault.  Glad to hear everything works.

Offline Hipsu

Been experiencing an odd bug.  I reinstalled FS and added in all the MV bells and whistles, and I've been running on RC7.  I've also got the Port 3.03 running as a mod, with some customizations regarding maps and I swapped in the better Lucifer.  Unfortunately, when I warp out at the end of "Pandora's Box", the game freezes for a split second, then generates a Windows error with a "do you want MS to send a bug report" thing.  Acknowledging this is followed by a drop to the desktop and full crash of Freespace.  I tried it with a debug build and got no real special insights.  The last line in fs.log is a line that my ship reached warpout velcity.  I get the same thing with RC6 too.  Furthermore, I had no warpout problems on my previously played missions, and I'm flying Awakenings on another pilot and have no such problems.

Well, I overcame this roadblock.  It seems that it has something to do with the Hi-poly Apollo.  If the ship was destroyed or attempted to warp out, the game would crash in this manner.  Oddly enough, it ONLY seemed to occur in missions where I'd swapped out the default Valkyrie for the Apollo, if I was assigned the Apollo, there was no problem... such as in a training mission.  However, I'd swapped out the Valkyrie for the Apollo at least once before "Pandora's Box" prior to this.  It still puzzles me, but using the default Apollo model seemed to overcome the problem and allow me to pass.

I experienced this apollo-bug today. It seems that if you have a Valkyrie as a default ship for you and your wingmen, but you change it for Apollo, then the mission will crash after a some time flying. I tested this with missions "The Hammer and the Anvil, sm1-08a.fs2" and "The Darkness and the light, sm1-09a.fs2"

I have ShivanSpS pack updated to 1.9c.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This bug is fixed in the latest SCP build.  Visit the SCP forum under Recent Builds.

Offline Riotta

• Viper Mark II pilot
Is there any howto describing how to install fsport into working fs2_open istallation and how to run it without launcher (I'm using non-windows system) ? I didn't found such description, the notes in the wiki or faq aren't so helpful for me, I still have problem with running fsport any tips where I must unpack those files and if I need some other files like scp stuff even if don't need any aditional eye-candy stuff?

Regards

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
-mod FSPort

The same command line option that is used on Windows system... ;)

Just create a mod folder in your main Freespace2 folder, put all the FSPort VP files in there, and use the -mod command line to enable it as a mod folder.

:)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline starfox

Greetings !
Little bump 'ere, but the download links in the first page seem to be down, and even the FSport website links do not work.

http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/

Apologies, if this has been already discussed somewhere, umm...so any other place here where I can download the FSport ?
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

I can't get the new files either. If you go to:

www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/fsport/

The old version is still hosted there, but you'll need a fileplanet account to get it. Before I download it, does anyone know if it'll create a conflict with the new one? (When/If it reappears)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Tolwyn has been gracious enough to host the downloads on the Wing Commander Saga website. :) The first page has been updated with the new links.