Author Topic: Mech games  (Read 16765 times)

Offline Davros

asyikarea51 when you installed haevy gear 2 was it under xp could you run it without installing the ias audio engine ???

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
mw2 is one of the best i think. not the best graphics or most well designed, but it has mech gameplay second to none.

There is an excellent quote about the MechWarrior games and their relative "feel"...let me find it. As put so well by Dropshipcommand's Jaegerurbie:

Since the poesy spell doth strike you, sir, I say it comes down to feel and aesthetics. The common complaint about MW4 is that it feels cartoony plastic and lacks a sense of scale and mass. I agree. MW4 gives up a lot and only gets rid of lag shooting, which isn't necessarily a horrible thing in some people's books. MW4 smells like pixie stix.

I dislike MW3's blandness of colors and terrain (which is really due to its campaign -- you don't expect much on a barren CSJ outpost planet), but the mechs were incredible -- they look dirty and menacing, they feel big and powerful. If you disliked MW3 because of lag shooting, you clearly didn't play MW2. MW3 smells like grease and coolant, burning lubricant, molten metal.

MW2 is almost perfect. Less is more when it's done so evocatively, as MW2 is. MW2 smells like brushed metal and ozone, or helium boiling up from the depths of some forsaken rock under the dawn of a distant star in the cold vastness of space.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I loved MW2, I really did. The computer voice, the realism, it was awesome. But Mechwarrior 3 was more immersive, you felt huge, from the way your gigantic feet thundered across the terrain (and even changed pitch based on material), to all the little intricacies that the game had (like cooling down faster in water), to even the different cockpits for each mech, and fuggin awesome damage effects, especially the limping animations - the whole game just exuded "Mechwarrior". MW2 felt more like you were in the cockpit of a mech, while MW3 felt more like you were in a mech that was big and huge, if that makes sense.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
My uncle played MW.. I think it was 2 or 3, I forget... I loved watching him; cool game.  What's the consensus on MW4?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's a MechWarrior game, but not the best of them. Still, it's enjoyable as such. If not for the fact MW3 has issues with Windows XP I would wholeheartedly recommend MW3 over MW4.

And if you get MW4, do yourself a favor and get the Mercs standalone rather than Vengence.

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got all the mw4 games and theyre pretty good, but they seem to be missing something. i only played the first couple levels of mw3, after that the game just started acting wierd, mechs and tanks bouncuing around for no reason at all, random crashes and lockups, missions dont end when you complete the goals, ect. i havent played enough of it to form an opinion.

i just found a patch to get mw2 to run under xp (and it works in vista too aparently), its nice to be able to fight for the clans again. that is also something i missed in mw4. you could use clan mechs, but you never had any runins with them.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Weren't the clans pretty much dead by then?

And MW4 was very arcadey - there was no sense of scale. All you had were little people bitmaps running around (which A, looked awful, and B, made me really miss the little people in MW3 you could step on :D). You felt very small, mostly due to tiny sound effects with almost no base, and lots of buildings and trees that were much taller than you. On top of that, there was almost -no- cockpit, so it was basically an arcade game.

Offline Roanoke

I doubt if the corporate M$ suits would approve of giant robots stepping on people  :doubt:

I don't think the clans, other than Jade Falcon and Wolf, were dead. More a kind of Clan/IS stalemate (IIRC, haven't played Mercs or MW4 for ages).

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I doubt if the corporate M$ suits would approve of giant robots stepping on people  :doubt:

Which is too bad, cuz it was wicked fun :D

Offline Roanoke

Which is too bad, cuz it was wicked fun :D

:D

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
asyikarea51 when you installed heavy gear 2 was it under xp could you run it without installing the ias audio engine ???

Don't remember. It's been a VERY long time since I touched it, I last played it on my older computer which is junk now (XP Home).

As for MW... I prefer MW4's PPC over the MW2 one (near-instant flight time), but MW2 Mercs' autocannons rock!!! *BOWM BOWM BOWM BOWM BOWM!!!!*

Installing MC2 as ATTOT, I seem to have misplaced my MCG original discs :(, now scouring the 'net for any MC2 "expansion packs". Any suggestions? :sigh: :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
MCG?  Bittorrent?  Use uTorrent as a client.  If you need more help, let me know... you should have no problems using this method.  And I have no problems telling you, since you have the original discs somewhere.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Check around the Dropshipcommand.com forums for Magic's Unofficial Expansion for MC2.

A Feddie Story

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
MCG, check. :D :yes:

Dropshipcommand.com... I got a whole bunch of files, from the unofficial expansion to something from a guy going by the term wolfman-x. The phrase 'extreme difficulty' scared me away LOL... and do you need the unofficial patch, or is the expansion by itself enough? And I think they could really use a "beginner's guide" easily accessible from a central source, like what the SCP guys have done... in a way... *points at karajorma's FAQ in :doubt:*

:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Magic's Unofficial Expansion. It ought to be stickied. It's simple to install with instructions in it IIRC. It can be tough, but it's doable on lowest difficulty, and if all else fails go into the mission with the mission editor and use the "break" tool on whatever it is you find most offensive.

Wolfman-x I don't fully trust, and he certainly didn't do nearly as much. Magic added something like 100 new 'Mechs and vehicles, and he certainly kept closer to the spirit of the BattleTech universe.

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I wasn't a fan of MC2 because the combat kinda sucked...I mean, the mechs just stood and place and pounded each other, no circling or anything :(

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Not to break up the PC games...

Dismissing the story, Zone of the Enders was good.
The second more so than the first, repetitive at times but still
has beaten out any Gundam game that's come to the states in 3D.
Oddly the GBA prequel game had a decent story... the PS2's did not..

The Dynasty Warriors: Gundam game I've heard is very repetitive, but also
fun in short bouts. (360 demo)

Wartech: Sekai no Ronde (360) is a current title with similarities to Virtual On.

Might be worth a look if you've not tried them before.

Personally, I want a Z.O.E 3 Online...
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

I liked the story to zone of the enders! :P

Part two was decent as well, another Mech game that I havent seen mentioned was the Gundam (Cant remember the exact title) game for the dreamcast, gameplay was made it feel as if you were controlling a 500(?) ton behemoth, along with the abilty to command your sqaud gave it a tactical vibe.

Its wasn't a popular game, but definalty a gem imo, another mech game on the PS2 I enjoyed was the armored core series. 

uh, you don't mean the stupidly easy GBA zone of the enders, do you?

At any rate, I have yet to find a mech game as satifying as MW2:Mercs.  And to be honest, when I think space trading games, I'm actually thinking MW2:Mercs in fighters, not elite.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Arrrrr! Grrrrr! But why can't MW2 be open source? It's old! It would be easy to add new content since the graphics are so primitive, and how cool would it be to have custom campaigns or even dynamic campaigns? But no, Microsoft has the rights to Mechwarrior now (AFAIK) so we'll never see anything like that ever.

And yes I know they released the Mechcommander source but that's not the same. :hopping:

[/rant]
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."