Author Topic: Possible new UI systems for FSO  (Read 14859 times)

Offline m!m

Re: Possible new UI systems for FSO
Command briefings are the same as generic animations since they both use the same code for loading and displaying them. I'm confident that I can find a solution for adding animation support but it may involve hacking around the libRocket interface a bit but that's not too bad. I wanted to get the initial implementation out of the door to let people test that version instead of delaying the changes for animation support.

Offline m!m

I added support for drawing animations but I will delay adding that until the main system is merged. There is enough code in that change set already. There is no reason for adding even more code.

hi, this new system allow possibility of 2-byte language translation? japanese still needed show 2-byte language system.
FS1/2 already translated, but not having method of that implement to game.

Offline m!m

This new system would be able to display Unicode characters but FSO is currently not able to read the translations in the tstrings table. That is a separate project which I am also working on but as far as the new UI system is concerned there is nothing stopping it from displaying Unicode strings.

Offline m!m

So, it finally happened. The libRocket website appears to be down and there are no reactions from the original developers on their GitHub repository so I guess that means that the project is abandoned by its original authors. The documentation has been mirrored (Link) so at least that is still available online. I also downloaded everything I could from the original website so at least nothing was lost there.

I still think that libRocket is a good solution for an extensible UI framework even though it is no longer actively maintained. I updated my test branch so that it has the latest changes from the master branch:
Test builds: http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/test/libRocket/
Test mod: http://www.mediafire.com/file/eo15507zh0nwdxa/libRocket.zip/file

Since libRocket only support Unicode text I added a check that enforces the usage of Unicode text mode when the new UI system is active. The test mod above already contains all the necessary changes for that to work. Please let me know if anyone wants to experiment with the build and I will write a more extensive post about how to use the new system.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:41:34 pm by m!m »

This is the only semi-active fork of librocket on github.  At least it's nice to see that someone is working on it.