Author Topic: [WIP] Solaris (a FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)  (Read 10274 times)

Re: [WIP] Solaris (a FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)

I've just had another look at the two videos about this thing.
It looks like ships here are at another level. Who made them? (can we have some more screenshots/videos/whatever? We are hungry you know:D :D)
Anyway, this mod is veeeery promising, can't wait to play it!

Offline Darius

Pretty much all of the ships are from CGPitbull (the same guy who did the ships for Rebel Galaxy). Most of the assets are from the Kurogane and Terra Nova mods for Stellaris. The rest were purchased directly from the modeler.

The ships are used under a royalty-free license so people are free to use them in their own FSO mods as well. Solaris is very much a community project and uses assets from all over HLP, so I hope to give something back to the community as well!

In terms of progress:
FREDing for Solaris has finished and I'm going through and testing for bugs/tightening gameplay. I'm on third-world internet at the moment but plan to have it upgraded next Friday. When that happens I'll upload the files for testing before a proper release shortly after. Likely aiming for first or second week of June.

My internet is the limiting factor for getting this out there so with luck the upgrade goes through smoothly!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
* Colonol Dekker  is looking forward to faction 3 blurb/logo.   

On that note, are all your emblems vector tomfoolery or do you have plans in mind when you create them?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Darius

"For Crown and Country"

The Alban Commonwealth is one of the Great Powers.

Fortune and foresight secured Commonwealth power. The capital system of Alba is the nexus of a densely populated hyperspace network, with extensive trading lanes established rapidly after the system was colonised. The Commonwealth's economy almost exclusively relies on trade, with Alban corporations maintaining some of the largest merchant navies in the galaxy.

During the final stages of the Great War, the Commonwealth took advantage of a unique opportunity to offer its services at mediation. In a diplomatic triumph, the Commonwealth arbitrated terms that satisfied both the Federation's territorial demands and the Combine's need to save face to its citizens. In 2236, the Alban Commonwealth chaired a conference attended by representatives from every independent star nation to draft the Miranda Accord. The prestige secured the recognition of the Commonwealth as a Great Power. Though not the military or industrial equal of the Federation or Combine, the Commonwealth still commands substantial economic and cultural power.

The Commonwealth is a constitutional monarchy ruled by the youthful Edward Wynson, a perspicacious and well-loved sovereign. Rumours circulate regarding House Wynson's ability to read and influence people, a trait shared by each generation of Wynson monarchs. This ability has taken on an almost mystical status from various embellishments over time.

Commonwealth military strengths lie in research and development, personnel training and naval intelligence. His Majesty's Navy is the smallest of the three Great Powers but emphasis on these strengths goes some way to offset the disadvantage in tonnage. Commonwealth operations often take place far from friendly bases and infrastructure, and warships of the Crown are engineered to be durable and reliable. The Navy's historical role of securing the Commonwealth's extensive tradelanes continues to this day.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:38:15 am by Darius »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
... so "alban" is reference to scottish-gaelic name for Scotland, not the latin adjective for "white"?

Following "Space Stalinist/Maoists" I seriously was expecting some kind of "space facism", just because that would have been such a well-worn triangle.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Following "Space Stalinist/Maoists" I seriously was expecting some kind of "space facism", just because that would have been such a well-worn triangle.

Why not something more original?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Dammit.....

My heart is now a commonwealth one.   It's that bloody imperial lion and rule Britannia vibe.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
May I suggest changing color of either Commonwealth or Federation? Both use yellow. Different colors would greatly help with visual identification.
Otherwise I love everything you guys prepared so far. Factions looks very detailed and distinctive.

BTW.

Awesome logo, but why so low-res and pixelated :]?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:14:12 am by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Darius

I was on the fence about changing the colours but if it makes for better identification it's easy enough to do. Probably keep the golden lion so I'll change the Fed star.

The original logo was resized so that it doesn't crowd out the layout of the post, but it seems like it lost a few pixels in the process  :p

Offline 0rph3u5

Why not something more original?

... because familarity it is a powerful tool for guiding the audience, e.g. it highlights all the deviations from expectation down to the smallest details.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Ah, OK. Probably I'm just not mainstream target audience, familarity (like space nazis vs commies) usually triggers me into "I've seen this so often, who still cares" mode. That's one of the many reasons why I'm looking forward to this campaign. :nod:

Offline Darius

It definitely would have been a fun trope and reinforce the familiar "Second World War in space" setting, but I would have struggled to portray a space fascist power as anything other than a one-dimensional caricature. What I ended up doing was having some minor fascist elements in the Combine with regard to authoritarianism and social/economic interventionism.

It's a multipolar universe though, so fascism may yet find some representation in one of the other nations.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Blue and white for the first factions logo?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 0rph3u5

What I ended up doing was having some minor fascist elements in the Combine with regard to authoritarianism and social/economic interventionism.

Are you sure that's not just Totalitarianism?

I would have struggled to portray a space fascist power as anything other than a one-dimensional caricature.

I know that problem ... have the same isssue with the NTF; there is just something alien about nationalism my tiny mind can't wrap itself around.
If you like I could give you a few pointers how I hope to conquer that problem via PM.

Ah, OK. Probably I'm just not mainstream target audience, familarity (like space nazis vs commies) usually triggers me into "I've seen this so often, who still cares" mode.

That's because most media just uses characters like that as short-cuts, in games in particular to as "permitted targets". That's why you hardly see any other form of facism in (english-language) popular media than german Nazis or visual language calling straight back to it - here the associations are so well-kown and non-ambigious that no additional leg-work is required.
Which is kinda sad because there are much more interesting-from-a-purely-intellectual-standpoint examples of facism , e.g. the Franco-Dictatorship in Spain.

==================