Author Topic: Simulating Whitestar's Extra Firepower  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Simulating Whitestar's Extra Firepower
Fire beam at current target would be cool. That way you can have a pesky little shivan fighter (In the B5 universe?! Blasphemy)  in your sights and just bazzap him away.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Edwin

it will kara.  I made it once so i flew a fenris, and had a repeating event tired into a key so when i pressed that key the main beam fired.  It worked only when i hit the key, i fired a big green shotgun cause it tried to do all the repeats at once. would up vaporizing the sathanas, and all of its debri, in one shot.

anyway, the point of that storie is beams can be sexp fired on a player ship.

You've missed my point. Know the fire beam SEXP will work on a ship with turrets on it but the whitestar will probably have it's beams implemented as fighterbeams fired from a gun point. Now that I think about it harder there is no way that you can simulate that with Fire-beam. The SEXP asks for a turret and you don't have one to give it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Raa
Fire beam at current target would be cool. That way you can have a pesky little shivan fighter (In the B5 universe?! Blasphemy)  in your sights and just bazzap him away.

The B5 pendant would be a Shadow Spitfire....B-ZZZZAPP
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

The question's not if it works for fighter-beams, but as a force-fire solution for player weapons fire.

If player ship weapons can be fired by SEXP command, then it'l work.  Really, we need a coder to answer that one, or one of the FREDers needs to whip up a mission real quick and check.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No need to check. You can't fire a playership's weapon unless it's on a turret.

What you'd need is for the SCP to make a new SEXP to fire a players guns.

Offline Edwin

or you could out a turret where the beam is (in addition to the player controlled gun) that has this "more pwerful" beam on it. make it default to locked to it con only be used if the FREDer scripts it in.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The problem with that approach is that the turret would be visible (especially in the subsystem list) and a ship would look rather stupid firing if the turret was destroyed.

A much smarter way to go about this is to request a change-weapons SEXP from the SCP. They you can simply change to the more powerful beam when you need to.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by karajorma
A much smarter way to go about this is to request a change-weapons SEXP from the SCP. They you can simply change to the more powerful beam when you need to.

Which is pretty much what I suggested in the first place.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!