Author Topic: Got a question for the team.  (Read 4283 times)

Got a question for the team.
How hard is this game to mod... compared to say starshatter.... and would I be able to create fairly   indepth missions.. with multiple triggers and the like?

Dont worry, I"M not thinking of comming over and booting over your b5 racket... the thing is, I -really- want to kick off a major dilgar war mod.. but Starshatter needs a lot of more options in the mission area, not to mention a lot of the stuff about interfaces, dynamic camps and such has to be released yet by milo, and it is totaly understandable that right now his priority is making sure his game is patched and working 100% before doing that.

I got the b5 mod out for the game to draw as much support to it as I can... but I really want to do this dilgar thing:)

I can(of course) create all my own models/graphics/sounds/interface blah blah, what I lack is a key understanding of just -how- things work, are imported ect.

just wondering if its gonna be a freaking 2 month learning curve, cause you can go from 0 knowledge to an imported and working ship in starshatter in about...... 30 min to 1 hour depending on your luck and what site you read.

Here is one of my dilgar ships, a dartfighter

I should probably point out i"m one of those stubborn does not ever quit even when god would give up types lol

« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 05:50:42 am by 2209 »
Matris Games
Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Got a question for the team.
Originally posted by DamoclesX just wondering if its gonna be a freaking 2 month learning curve, cause you can go from 0 knowledge to an imported and working ship in starshatter in about...... 30 min to 1 hour depending on your luck and what site you read.

I wouldn't say FS2 is as easy as that to mod but it's certainly not enormously difficult to learn.

Now that we have HT&L a lot of the big no-no's have vanished.

I've got  list of modding tutorials in my FAQ. Take a look at them and you should be able to get an idea of how hard things are.

BTW Nice ship :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Awsome, will do, hopefully I can get started monday, have to study for a 3rd semester phsysics test today.. and some freaking whip and shell calculas... groan

hopefully i"ll be able to put a few people together for this... doing the -whole- starshatter mod by myself was interesting, but.... horribly hard, and the lack of missions prove it lol.
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
FREDding (Mission designing with the included tool FRED (Which was the mission designer used by the game developers)) is remarkably easy and reasonably intuitive in Freespace 2. A walkthrough comes included with the game that'll teach you more than enough to make a basic mission, and everything it doesn't teach you is well commented in the tools themselves some of the more obscure sexps for example)

FRED is also convenient because it's so well unified - pretty much everything is controlled through sexps, so there's no complex languages to learn, or multiple ways of doing things.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Now that sounds good

so I could like force fleet movment? have ships drop back cause of tactics or fake engine problems.. forced rammings? control EXACTLY when and where ships would jump in and so on?
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You can force your ships to move anywhere you want them to with waypoints, rammings are theoretically possible with either kamikaze or just regular sexping ala Koth and the Collossus, and yes, you can have your ship warp in wherever you want it to, based on spatial coordinates.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline -Norbert-

Just take something in care for incoming ships:
You specify the point where they exit subspace. They get out there with a lot of speed and need time to slow down.

Well

i looked into a few things, sounds interesting, i"M still trying to find my cd1, cant belive I lost cd1 LOL, but other then that, taking it slow, busy week.

fred sounds really powerfull tho
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
You can download all the necessary components to FS2 online I believe. (who set up that server?)

hmmm

I think I can find it that way... probably the only way I will get it anyways.

sigh, this is gonna be a big download lol
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

If it doesn't work I'll drop you a copy in the post.

I found it

should have it in 7 hours, oh well could be worst

in the mean time, some of the dilgar fighters
mkI and mkV

the oldest and newest lol

Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Hi guys ...
I'm one of Damo's slackers for the Hold the Line: Mod. I guess I have been drafted to help out where I can as well. :nod:

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Mucho coolnesio.

This stuff could be real junk real soon

I"m working on a method using normal mapping and rendering to textures to basically take a 300,000 poly model I made and make a 1000 poly model look just like it

so far its working but with some errors

This is ment as a lession for normal maps, it seems like milo is at least considering them, and normal maps.. well. lets just say a ship with normal maps blows away any game b5 model made by myself or anybody else with 0 effort lol
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
You may have heard of it or know what it is, but I suggest checking out the SCP - or Source Code Project.

It implemented a number of things that can make your life easier and the game prettier.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

I have but I feel like I"m drowning lol

so much info to absorbe I dont even know where to start

I dont even know WHERE to start on changing the jump points... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I"ll do this one step at a time

step 1, get the dilgar fighter ship done, along with debrees.. since it needs that...
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
can i make a suggestions with reguard to the second ship - the fins serve no apparent purpose so dont look right try making a more substantial change to the mesh - unless there is a dilgar models considered cannon your cpoying from of cource in which case ignour me
ARGHHH

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
For jump points you just need to make a mesh textured with the jump texture and create a pof called warp.pof (someone check me on this) and whenever a ship jumps in, the game will use that model to display the jump point rather the FS2 default subspace effect. BTW it may not hurt just to go through the FS tables and look at the comments embedded in them. They are extremely helpful when you want to add a table entry.

god this game is huge

I uncompressed it...

sigh....... I should licence this damn game for my project 7 idea I had, should look into this.... we are probably getting financing for a small project(got to love corps helping with gov funds) wonder how much it costs....

the other engine we are looking at is the starshatter one...
Matris Games
Jason Blaz