Author Topic: What is TBP?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Is it a TC for Freespace 2, or a game that utilizes the FS2Open engine?

I've been wondering about this a lot since the BSG mod was referred to as such (i.e. as a game) by a guy on the scifi.com boards a few days ago. At what oint does the crossover occur? Has it happened for TBP?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline redmenace

It is either. They package it as a Standalone.
But many like me just use it as a TC
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

A total conversion from old code to the new refined code... With all new toys to boot! :)

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
A total conversion usually needs the original game to run, so I'd say TBP is either a standalone mod or a game using FSOpen engine.

Offline RavenTS

• www.KULTLOESUNGEN.de
Originally posted by Lt.Cannonfodder
A total conversion usually needs the original game to run...

Sure? I always thought this would be a important fact of TCs (that they just use the engine, not more) and here they use the FS2-Engine, not really more...and as the FS2-Engine is Opensource, everybody could download it...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I would not consider TBP to be a unique game.  It is still FS2 in mechanics, and last I checked there was not a TBP-specific branch of the engine either, so regardless of how it is distributed it is still a TC of another game.  Whether people actually need the original game or not is somewhat pointless.  However, in advertising this, it is not a TC because you distribute the engine along with the content.  It's a TC for an open-source engine, which is a bit of a different animal.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
It was originally a TC of the old engine but since the evolution of scp,it has become a whole new ball game.;)
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Wouldn't "Stand-alone TC" work best as it implies that it combines both concepts?
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Sounds good to me.:D
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001