Author Topic: TBP at its best!  (Read 10346 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
They look more like missile trails to me....

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I suppose similar efect with slight difference willbe available for the Excavator - sorry, the Victory class cruiser?

Only, the charge effect should be a little thicker... and btw, how much does that charge effect "fluctuate"? (Can't think of any other word for it...)

What I mean is that how stationary is that effect in-game? Will it be able to make it really seem like some energy is seriously flowing into the center, where the main beam then fires?

Okay, what I really mean is something like this...

Understand my meaning? Thicker, starts from the edges and really goes to the center - and even when it reaches the main beam startpoint, it should still seem like pumping energy into main beam... Though I think that current effect is also awesome.

The pictures are screenshots from Star Wreck 6: In the Pirkinning... there the effect is really quite nice.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline starfox

Just watched "Call to Arms". Frankly, I like "The official charge effect" more than the one is Star Wreck, but both are very good in their own way.
By the way, I noticed your username. It's good to have more Finnish people onboard.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
There we go again...

I haven't actually seen any B5 related material on TV, that I must confess. So I haven't seen the original Victory main gun charge effect either...

What pictures I could find about it, don't make justice to it - I really should see it on moving picture to be able to judge it.

Some pictures I found on http://www.b5tech.com/science/weapons/excalibur_guns/exweapons.html... I'd say that the original effect would be somewhat less "dense" light of the charger beams?

Well, whatever. I must say that I'm fully confident that the final solution of Victory's main beam effect will be more than satisfactory, given the top-notch quality of the earlier accomplishments of TBP...

It's amazing how many of 5e6 Finns are here, when you compare to the participation of the rest of the world, eh? =)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
By the way, while we are on topic of getting B5 effects into FS2:

Has anyone figured out how to make a jumpgate have those blinking lights during the gate-opening-sound effect, before a ship emerges through it? It would certainly add to the feeling that it's the jumpgate opening the gate and not the ship itself.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It could be done with a glowpoint bank series, activated and deactivated via SEXP.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Quick point, In B5, the Jumpgate opens the Jumpoint right, and several ships can enter/exit it before it closes. You guys forayed into this area yet. (instead of having a point per ship?)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
you can use the "warp-effect"-sexp to open a jumppoint - for both departure and arrivial - without a ship
or you place a dummy (novas or warlocks are perfect for this) which jumps in and is erased by "ship-vanish"-sexp right when it arrives - only works with arrivals as far as I know

than you can make a group of ships appear with activated "no warp effect"-flag short range before it or as I prefer it short behin the jumppoint and make it pass on a waypoint path or anyway else

I don't know if there is the possibility to make the jumpgate to have this charge effect...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The only irritating part about using a single warp-effect sexp for multiple ship arrivals/departures, is you don't get the accelleration and decelleration that you do with ship-self-generated warp effects.  There are however, a few changes coming to the source code that will give the ability to simulate this, with a bit of creative event use.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well, is it possible to have the ship warp in/out with deceleration/acceleration, but only remove the vortex of that single ship, for example if many ships are coming through a jumpgate simultaneously? Like the situation on "Severed Dreams" -mission, for example. It looks kinda goofy when all those ships generate their own vortex but still come through the gate...

So, is it possible to just disable the vortex part of warp effect and keep te acceleration/deceleration thingy there?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Not that I've heard of, though I have suggested it in the past.