Author Topic: TBP on Linux/MacOSX  (Read 254115 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Take the "!" off of the filename and see if it makes a difference.

It doesnt work
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Well, the obvious question is: Have you placed the mission file in the correct place ? /data/missions
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

I'm an idiot
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
*snickers*

Well it seems you solved the problem.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Hello everyone,

just tried running this on Ubuntu 6.10. The game starts fine, I can create a pilot, select a campaign, but as soon as I click on the "Continue"-button on the main-screen, the game crashes with the following error message:

ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/fireballs.cpp:693

I followed the install-instructions, and copied the .vp-files into the same folder as the executable (hope this was right!?)

Any ideas why it would not work?

Thanks

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
It seems to miss a ani file. What have you installed, TBP 3.3a or the 3.4 beta ?

I downloaded 3.3a from the top of this thread.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
And you're runnning the binary included in the package or have you compiled your own ? If the latter, which version ?

At the moment I'm not sure if you installed something in the wrong place or if it's due to an incompatible build.

I'm running the binary included in the package, but I'm willing to try building my own, if you believe that could help.

Also, I extracted the archive to /opt/TBP3/, is there a specific place it was supposed to go into?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Nope, it should work from pretty much anywhere.

Building your own binary might be a good idea, since according to the coders binaries from one machine don't necesserily work on another machine.

Did you try it with both campaigns ? And did you try starting a single mission from the "Tech Room"?  Just to make sure it crashes on any mission, and not just one particular mission.

Also, if you could post a screenshot of your TBP folder in your file browser of choice, we might be able to pick out any errors you made in the installation.

Alright, so here's what I've done:
- built release 3.6.9, same problem though
- built debug 3.6.9, which gives me the following output in the log-file:
Under the OpenGL-section:
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_compression".
  Unable to find extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc".
  Can use compressed textures: NO
  Texture compression available: YES

And from there on, it gives me a bunch of messages whenever trying to load a texture:
DDS ERROR: Couldn't open '60mm_main.dds' -- DDS is compressed but compression support is not enabled

until it finally quits with the same message.

I modified the source-code slightly to see what would happen, if the texture compression was enabled by setting the "Can use compressed textures"-flag to always be true. After compiling this build, I could start a campaign without any problems, but the textures were just plain white.

So, I think my Linux graphics driver just doesn't support all required features (unless there's some way to disable the use of DDS compression in the config-file!?).

Still, the good news is, I just downloaded the executable and ran it under windows, where it works just fine. Oh well, would have been nice to play it under Linux, but whatever...

In any way, thanks for your help!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
So, I think my Linux graphics driver just doesn't support all required features (unless there's some way to disable the use of DDS compression in the config-file!?).
DDS compression is optional, but DDS decompression is what you are having problems with.  It is either available through your video drivers, or it isn't, the game doesn't control that.  You won't be able to use any compressed textures if your video drivers can't decompress them, and everyone makes pretty heavy use of compressed textures at this point.

Since the decompression tech is highly patented, you will pretty much only get the ability to use compressed textures if you use the closed-source drivers from either NVIDIA or ATI.

Thanks for the clarification taylor, that makes a lot of sense. Obviously, in this case the closed-source graphics driver from Intel for Windows is superior in functionality to the OSS one that comes with Ubuntu, which explains the reported behavior.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Thanks for the clarification taylor, that makes a lot of sense. Obviously, in this case the closed-source graphics driver from Intel for Windows is superior in functionality to the OSS one that comes with Ubuntu, which explains the reported behavior.
Just did a quick google search, since I know that there was supposedly a software implementation floating around, and came across this.  So, assuming that a current version of Mesa is installed, and that I'm reading the instructions properly, you may only have to do the little driconf trick to enable S3TC and then you'll get support for the precompressed textures under Linux.  You still wouldn't really be able to take advantage of something like the -img2dds cmdline option, but simply using compressed textures is all that you really need, and that would appear to be possible simply by enabling it through a DRI option.  I don't know how good that will be speed wise, but it's worth a shot at least.

That did it!

Used driconf to enable it, and also installed the library.

As far as I can tell from playing a brief mission, there is hardly any difference to playing with hardware-enabled S3TC-extensions (under windows). The only setting I had to change was the to turn down "Particles" to the lowest level, since they were being displayed with a nasty black frame around them.

Thanks again for the help!

cheers

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Good news :yes:

If you want to get rid of the black frames on the particles, you can try out the 3.4 beta. (or use a 3.6.7 build)

Or if you just want to play the campaigns with 3.3a, I could probably put up a small zip with an updated version of the problematic particle effect. I'd have to look up the exact filename first though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:08:13 am by Col. Fishguts »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
That did it!

Used driconf to enable it, and also installed the library.
Cool. :D

Did you try it first without installing the library?  From what I read it didn't seem to be required for the basic functionality, all you had to do was enabled it with driconf, but I wasn't sure.  I just want to know for the next time this issue comes up. :)

Looks like the library is needed. When I move libtxc_dxtn.so out of /usr/lib, I get the following:
> glxinfo | grep texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
    GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1,

But with the lib in its folder I get:
> glxinfo | grep texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
    GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc,
    GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_APPLE_client_storage,

And the game only runs when the lib is there...

Guys I figured i might ask here in regards to a hardware question.  Has anyone tried yet running the Linux build of TBP on a PS3 with yellow dog Linux?  It appears they upgraded keyboard and mouse support yesterday and I am thinking maybe getting a copy of YDL and seeing if I can fly a starfury in my livingroom at 1080i.  Has anyone heard of any problems running the Linux build on Yellow Dog for PS3?  Will I be the first one to take the dive?