Author Topic: TBP on Linux/MacOSX  (Read 254120 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
TBP on Linux/MacOSX
For our non-Windows users who don't want to copy TBP over from a Windows installation:

• Download this non-exe version of TBP 3.4 Final and extract it to the location of your choice
    • Note: if you get a page full of gibberish when clicking the download link at FreeSpaceMods, it means that your browser is opening the .7z file. That is weird and shouldn't happen but if it does happen, go back, right-click the download link, select "Save as" or something and save the file to your hard drive.  If you don't have the Save as option in Safari, you have to disable "open safe files automatically" in the Safari preferences (on the bottom). This is good for security reasons.
  • extract the contents of the .7z file to the location of your choice. You'll need an archive program capable of opening .7z files. WinRAR should work.
    • Whenever someone mentions "the root TBP folder" or "\tbp\ folder" or something like that, they mean the folder that contains at least a subfolder called "data" and some .vp files.
  • Go to the SCP board and download the latest FSO build that is stickied there. The thread name should be "Release: 3.6....". Make sure you get the Inferno (INF) variant. Regular builds cannot handle the amount of ship types in TBP.
    There are also Launchers available in the release threads, should you want to use one.
  • Download Zathras 2 and unpack the .zip to your TBP folder. There should now be a subfolder called "Zathras" there.
[li]If you're going to use a Launcher (YAL, Soulstorm's Launcher etc...), good luck. I don't know much about them. But in any case, you'll need to set some commandline flags for the FSO build you've downloaded. The most important one is the -mod flag, which allows you to use Zathras as a mod. Simply enter
[/li][/list]
Code: [Select]
-mod Zathrasas a flag. More flags can be found in this article, along with explanations. It is recommended to enable at least:
Code: [Select]
-spec -env -glow -tbp -ship_choice_3d
    You can also experiment with the flags listed in the "Lighting" section. These allow you to change various lighting values and personally I concider a darker atmosphere to be much moodier than the atmosphere with the default values. Also, you can use the -res flag to set a resolution for the game. Using your monitor's native resolution is highly recommended.

I think that's it. The game starts when you run the FSO build you downloaded. Just make sure to run a release build (for example, fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2_RC2) instead of a debug build (for example, fs2_open_3_6_12d_INF_SSE2_RC2.exe). Debug builds are meant for bug hunting and for gathering information when encountering problems. They will throw warning and stuff on the screen and will not provide an enjoyable playing experience.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:04:38 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Re: TBP on Linux/MacOSX
What registry setting do u mean? U dont need to have FS2 installed to play TBP right?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
On Windows, TBP needs to use Windows registry to work correctly, like FS2 does. Using the pack Fishguts linked to, does not create these registry entries. Windows users will need to use the SCP Launcher to create the necessary registry entries.

That said, the package is primarily for linux/osx users. Windows users should use the existing packs where default registry settings are made for you.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
No, but you need some Windows registry entries to get your Joystick working and some other stuff, IIRC.

You could set them up manually, or install TBP using the exe installers

BTW, all R3 base releases are now available through direct HTML links on HLP: http://downloads.hard-light.net/babylon/
(thanks HLP staff :))

EDIT: Listen to Fury, he know's more about the registry settings. The launcher is creating the necessary entries too ? Neat.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Are the dummy files really necesary in order to play the game, cuz I just removed them from the TBP folder and I just played TBP without any problems.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I think recent builds don't need them anymore, but they don't hurt either.

Offline Biscuit

Just tried the *nix version on my FC5 box, compiled and runs ok, following the instructions on the wiki. The only issue it seems to have is sound sometimes breaks up and goes into a stuttering loop. I havent had a chance to investigate the problem further.

Oh has the -allslev command line switch been removed? It dosent seem to work. I get an urecognised option and the program aborts. It works when i use cedega  with the windows binary(Allows you to play any mission from a campaign in the mission simulator)

Unrecognized command line parameter "-allslev".  Exiting...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:07:16 pm by Biscuit »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's gone. Press CTRL + SHIFT + S in the techroom or flight sim to unlock content from now on.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Biscuit

It's gone. Press CTRL + SHIFT + S in the techroom or flight sim to unlock content from now on.
Thanks

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yay, someone's actually using this package :)

Offline Biscuit

When using the *nix package , ships that have suffered damage and are on fire. The graphics for the fire have square black artifacts, same applies when a ship explodes. I have played around with settings and various switchs but to no effect. Am i missing something simple?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Basically that's cause the build is relatively new but the textures are relatively old. As a result they suffer from a change in how FS2_Open handles textures.

Should be fixed when TBP updates to be compatible with 3.6.9. (whenever that is).

Offline Biscuit

Thanks again. Guess I can live with that

Offline Biscuit

I have just checked out from CVS the latest version, using the script from the wikipage, complete fresh checkout as i deleted the fs2_open directory beforehand. Followed the instructions on the wiki page for configuration and compiling. I have also tried it with a fresh manual checkout.The Compile process bombs out with:

mission/missionparse.cpp: In function ‘int parse_object(mission*, int, p_object*)’:
mission/missionparse.cpp:3405: warning: operation on ‘num_alts’ may be undefined
mission/missionparse.cpp:3764: error: expected `)' before ‘{’ token
mission/missionparse.cpp: In function ‘void parse_asteroid_fields(mission*)’:
mission/missionparse.cpp:5778: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
mission/missionparse.cpp:5783: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
make[1]: *** [missionparse.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/******/fs2_open/code'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I have tried this with no CFLAGS set and using the CFLAGS set as an example inthe Wiki.
Configure/autogen output as follows:
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
Using Unix defines (for linux-gnu)
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for socklen_t... yes
checking for std::ios_base... yes
checking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config
checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.6... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating libjpeg/Makefile
config.status: creating lua/Makefile
config.status: creating code/Makefile
config.status: executing depfiles commands

Configure options:

Sound enabled .......... : yes
Text-to-speech enabled . : no

Debug build ............ : no
DEMO build ............. : no
Inferno build .......... : no
GProf support .......... : no

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. That was it. The second I saw that thread I realised your problem was the same one.

That said you should be using the 3.6.9 Branch not the HEAD branch in CVS. HEAD is going to be a lot more unstable than 3.6.9 and it's going to get worse if you update once 3.6.9 is released.

Downloading the package now, I just wish my connection wasn't as utterly borked as it is currently...

Still, we'll see if I can blunder my way through the instructions (I am that better idiot) and get this sucker to compile under Suse 10.0.... In about 5 hours.

Oh and hi again folks, it's been a while!

Offline CaptJosh

Getting it to compile under 10.0 should go fine. It's getting it to run where you might have problems, or you might not. It all depends on how much the code has been updated vs having a newer version of glibc than pretty much any other distro, at least at the time it was released.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline MacMage

Please host his file again! I really need it.

Regards

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It should be working now actually. The issue that broke the link has been fixed earlier today.