Author Topic: Release - Hyperion Cruiser Upgrade  (Read 1541 times)

Release - Hyperion Cruiser Upgrade
This Hyperion/Midwinter model was provided by emi_100.  I've adjusted a few things in the POF and created glow maps and a pile of name plates for it.  47 unique ships including all known ones that I could find reference to and many that are in the various missions including the Mimbari War missions.

The Midwinter variant has the side cannons modified to make them X-Ray lasers including a limited firing arc.  Both versions use the same texture set.  There is a blank template included in DDS format as well as the PSD.  The default texture doesn't have a name on it but it does have the #21 on the hull.  Most of CGI shots I could find had 21 on them, likely because they were all just recycled versions of the Hyperion CGI model.

It didn't make sense to me that every ship in the fleet would have the same hull number or even squadron if that's what it was supposed to be, so I decided to make each on unique.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae34awnwtqn8e7y/EAM_Hyperion.zip?dl=0

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: Release - Hyperion Cruiser Upgrade
Sir, your attention to detail is awesome. This sort of individual ship detail is the sort of thing I'm hoping that those of us in the Exile mod project can someday complete. (Nyct and the rest of the Exile team have already implemented this sort of detail, I'm just trying to eventually get it consistent.)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Thanks I agree.  I find it really immersive when you fly up on a ship or are fighting around one and you see it's registry.  Someone went to all of the trouble of creating name plates for the Nova's and Omega's already.  They were in the maps folder.  I felt the Hyperion deserved the same.  I already went through all of my mission files and swapped out name plates for every ship I could for Nova's, Omega's and Hyperion's.

Offline wesp5

I already went through all of my mission files and swapped out name plates for every ship I could for Nova's, Omega's and Hyperion's.

How did you do that? Should I do the same with the Starfury Pilot Missions, which I fixed for my patch and inclusion into Knossos?

I think it looks better to have the name plates in use wherever possible.

In fred2_open, go to ship editor.  Select the ship you want.  Right at the bottom of the first column is a button labeled "Texture Replacement".

It bring up a "Ship Texture Replace" box with drop downs.  This is the list of textures used by default for that ship.

In the Severed Dreams mission for example, go to the Omega class Alexander.  The "Old texture" is eam_omega_01, the default blank one.  Replace it with eam_omega_alexander.  Do the same for the glow map.  Paste eam_omega_alexander-glow on it's line.

The Nova's also have shine maps so that would need to be replaced for them as well.  The list of name plates are all located in the maps folder.  There's a bunch.  When you save the mission it will update in Fred and you'll see the new name plate.

Offline wesp5

In fred2_open, go to ship editor.  Select the ship you want.  Right at the bottom of the first column is a button labeled "Texture Replacement".

I don't use fred2_open, but edit the missions with a text editor. The process should be the same though as long as I have a list of the new textures.
Still this would break all missions with nameplate ships for players without the mod, so we should consider adding this to core or it makes no sense!

*Update 9/2*

Subsystem names, paths and targeting corrected and tested.  Turret rotation tested.  Everything should be working correctly now except for the lack of debris models.  I'll look into that again.

I had to adjust the port and starboard turret arms position and axis for them to work properly but rotation and elevation is good to go now.

Archive updated, the only changes are to the models.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:57:16 pm by Nightstorm »