General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Freespace-IP-Group

(1/4) > >>

Iain Baker:
Hi All!

This might be old news, but I have just stumbled upon a group that is looking to acquire the FreeSpace IP, with the view to *I think* making an official FS3. They have a group on Discord called the Freespace-IP-Group.

I have technically joined it, because 'why not' (and to see what's going on) but I have yet to engage with it.

Any thoughts? Anyone on here part of it? If they were to be successful, how would this affect us?

Advice pls and discuss...

General Battuta:
Are they a bunch of bitter HLP vets seeking the ultimate revenge against those who have wronged them

EatThePath:
Does this group have any internet presence besides a discord server/group? A cursory internet search doesn't turn up anything about it but this post.

New owners of the Freespace IP could conceivably be very good, or very bad, for this community. Non-comerciality is not actually a legal defense against copyright infringement(it can help, but it's a small piece) and most if not all mods besides the stand-alones could easily be C&Ded and DMCAed if sufficiently ****ty people took control. On the other hand, if sufficiently cool people took control they might be able to free the SCP from some of the more murky and shaky bits of the license FSO is ultimately built on, and maybe open more doors besides. If they got all the relevant rights anyway, I wouldn't be surprised it they were scattered between different entities right now.

Novachen:
Well so far i only know the reddit presence.

Grizzly:
If Derek Smart couldn't do it I don't expect a few randos on discord to do it :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version