Author Topic: Guess who?  (Read 9028 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hello guys. Long time no see.

In case you have been wondering what was up with me and my FS work. Well, I planned to surprise everyone with the HD Archangel last Christmas - I had half the thing UV mapped and was starting to make the texture, then made a non-textured export setup (with turrets and everything) to test the weapons and turrets setup and the mesh. But it didn't convert. Crash after crash after crash. I could find any error on the mesh but it just kept crashing.
Frustrated, I decided to work on something else for a bit and did some fixing of the Orion Mk2 - some more detail on a few places, some texturing fixes - again, it didn't want to convert.
Of all the things I was working on, the only thing I did manage to convert was a variant of the Falcon fighter (note to self: release it)

Totally annoyed by this I haven't touched anything FS related for almost a year. Until a few days ago, when I decided to start working on the Armageddon bomber again. And the conversion kept crashing. Soon I realized is PCS2 that is ALWAYS crashing. It opens .pof files fine, but it never manages to convert anything lately. PCS1 does, however it too goes bonkers when I try the Archangel. So no archangel until some miracle happens.

HOWEVER... I did manage to make some things work...

Also working on this:

That said, I have a few question, given that I've been out of the loop:

- have the code wizzards made side-mounted turrets work?

- can "showmodel" be used only on a single missile bank if a fighter/bomber has more?

- IIRC, subobject animation only works with rotation, right? (wanna make a hatch for the for Judgment Day torpedo missile bay)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I see none said hello. So I'll break the ice. Hello and welcome back :) Nice to see you're  working on FS again.
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
What version of PCS2 are you using?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Side mounted multiparts (in fact,any orientation multiparts) can be done using uvec and fvec. One never actually made any, Su I can't advise on president how to do it, but search for "uvec" on the wiki and you'll get what you need.

Submodel animation is still restricted to rotation, but you can fake translation using various methods (scissor lifts, huge rotation radii, look-at etc.), but they all have their own specific downsides' (complexity, massive bounding box and very restrictive applications respectively). It really depends on exactly what you want to do. If you want your hatch to slide up on a forward facing missile tube on a big destroyer, a big rotation radius will work fine (assuming there's an appropriate trigger, or you're happy to do it manually with sexps). If you want it on a bomber, that method will give you an oversized bounding box, so you need to go with a scissor lift or just design your hatch to rotate instead of translate (which honestly seems like the simpler solution).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What version of PCS2 are you using?

I think it's the latest one I found. Wont' hurt to download again though...

Submodel animation is still restricted to rotation, but you can fake translation using various methods (scissor lifts, huge rotation radii, look-at etc.), but they all have their own specific downsides' (complexity, massive bounding box and very restrictive applications respectively). It really depends on exactly what you want to do. If you want your hatch to slide up on a forward facing missile tube on a big destroyer, a big rotation radius will work fine (assuming there's an appropriate trigger, or you're happy to do it manually with sexps). If you want it on a bomber, that method will give you an oversized bounding box, so you need to go with a scissor lift or just design your hatch to rotate instead of translate (which honestly seems like the simpler solution).

Yeah. I was thinking of keeping it simple - 2 part hatch, both rotate in a folding pattern

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I just remembered what I wanted to ask - capital ships and ammo?
It's a feature I have been asking for since forever and makes sense (both to restrict some powerful weapons and for endurance missions/campaigns)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I just remembered what I wanted to ask - capital ships and ammo?
It's a feature I have been asking for since forever and makes sense (both to restrict some powerful weapons and for endurance missions/campaigns)
Yes!

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes!

I'm as happy as a tentacle monster in a japanese female school.

Here, have some progress on the Retribution:

P.S. - my second question about weapon banks and show model? Can I only show one specific bank?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
In case of model with three primary and three secondary banks [UEF Izra'il]
Code: [Select]
$Show Primary Models: ( no yes no )
$Show Secondary Models: ( yes yes yes )Each yes-no entry reflects different bank.

The whole table section looks like:
$Allowed PBanks: ( "Vulcan" "Rapier" "Scalpel"  "Maul" "Gattler" "UX Accelerator" ) ( "Vulcan" "Rapier" "Scalpel"  "Maul" "Gattler" ) ( "Ammo Pack" "ERA Kit" "Repair System" )
$Allowed Dogfight PBanks: ( "Vulcan" "Rapier" "Scalpel"  "Maul" "Gattler" "UX Accelerator" ) ( "Vulcan" "Rapier" "Scalpel"  "Maul" "Gattler" ) ( "Ammo Pack" "ERA Kit" "Repair System" )
$Default PBanks: ( "Gattler" "Rapier" "Ammo Pack" )
$Pbank Capacity: ( 100, 150, 100 )
$Allowed SBanks: ( "Paveway" "Dirk" "Slammer" "Jackhammer" "Shrike" "Hellfire" "Warhammer" "Grimler" "Javelin" "Dart" ) ( "Paveway" "Dirk" "Slammer" "Hellfire" "Warhammer" "Grimler" "Javelin" "Dart" ) ( "Paveway" "Dirk" "Slammer" "Hellfire" "Warhammer" "Grimler" "Javelin" "Dart" )
$Allowed Dogfight SBanks: ( "Paveway" "Dirk" "Slammer" "Jackhammer" "Hellfire" "Warhammer" "Grimler" "Javelin" "Dart" )
$Default SBanks: ( "Warhammer" "Dart" "Warhammer" )
$SBank Capacity: ( 80, 40, 80 )
$Show Secondary Models: ( yes yes yes )
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

HD Archangel, New Retribition AND Orion Mk2? You really know how to make me happy. :D I really hope you'll be able to get past your crashes and finish those models, TrashMan!

And of course, welcome back, always glad to see people making models and stuff in general.

EDIT: Oh, how about this one: Load up PCS2, untick 'Use OpenGL VBO's (if able)', then try to load the Archangel? For some reason this helped me load a few models that otherwise could crash PCS2, which happens to me once in a while.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:06:41 pm by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
In case of model with three primary and three secondary banks [UEF Izra'il]
$Show Secondary Models: ( yes yes yes )Each yes-no entry reflects different bank.

Thanks you muchly.

HD Archangel, New Retribition AND Orion Mk2? You really know how to make me happy. :D I really hope you'll be able to get past your crashes and finish those models, TrashMan!

The Orion mk2 is just minor fixes..though I guess I could polish it a bit more

EDIT:  FFS!!! What's the key combo for full screen tech room????

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
EDIT:  FFS!!! What's the key combo for full screen tech room????

As in the full screen of the models?   F3. :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Doesn't work.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Doesn't work.

Odd. It should do in the main hall; does this end. What build are you running?
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
3.7.2 on my laptop, 3.7.4 back on my rig
Could be because it's the laptop.

I converted the Retribution with some basic texturing (a proper UV map will come later) just for testing purposes and it works fine :)
Want to post a screenshot from the tech room, because in-game, all models (but not in target view) are invisible for some reason (again, laptop)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
3.7.2 on my laptop, 3.7.4 back on my rig
Could be because it's the laptop.
The F3 lab far predates 3.7.2. Also, why are you using such an outdated version on your laptop?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

On my laptop, after I downloaded World of Warships, I noticed my Ctrl+Alt+Z key was somehow used to activate screenshots. So when I use that in modeling or just selecting that , it activates it. You might have that kind of trouble? Thought my experience, of lack of for that matter! might help some :)
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
YARRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jey93bskei2x7y6/RetributionT.rar

This is just a simple test
Missing:
- Lod's
- glows
- nameplate
- a proper UV/ texture job (I slapped this together in 15 minutes for testing)

Any suggestion/recomendations welcome

EDIT: I might have put in a wrong map. If something is missingh, re-name "shiphull_dark3" to "shiphull_dark3G"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Did you think about expanding your details palette? Looking for more inspiration? I know you are very experianced ship designer, but I see no big progress in detailing your ships compared to your older models. It's still very good model and I guess it will look even better when you are done with UV and true painted texture, but it won't help with repeating details of extended hull plating and basicly nothing more.

Try to look for more inspiration. Many cool models were made since your disapperance. The most notable example worth mentioning in my opinion is HTL Hades by Vasudan Admiral - a true masterpiece and
quintessence of making awesome warship. Also almost every model shown by Raven2001. My Lindos is other good example. Try to differentate types of details of your ships. Place details of different scale etc.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I design my front-line warships like tanks. The kind of greeble you talk about seems more at home on civilian designs (and I am putting them currently on the new science cruiser and civilian station)

P.S. - Just a note - F3 doesn't work on my PC either.
I CANNOT enter the full screen tech room. What gives?

P.P.S. - did the "frontal assualt for capital ships" AI thing ever get addressed?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:48:02 pm by TrashMan »