Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 280915 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4,
Did you check about the .dds textures extension?
What? Max reads DDs on its own... and the game doesn't differentiate between extensions in the pof file.

Not all versions of Max do.  4.2 doesn't, for example.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
No, but you can get seperate plugins that do that.  "Max DDS Plugin" in google works well, but the plugin itself is available directly from NVidia.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
That reminds me, I need to install the dds plugin for photoshop again. :)
I'm gonna reinstall or update max soon and try the old plugin again too.

Offline BES

Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
I have 3 questions,

how do all you people get MAX? thought it was like 3000- 6000$, thats like insanely priced, and ive tried the trial versions and they arent fully functional, I have Truespace6.6,Milkshape, and Blender.

and the same question goes for photoshop,I have Paintshop pro 10 and it kind of sux.

Milkshape has a nice plug-in for max files, does this plug-in convert models from modelview to max files?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I have 3 questions,

how do all you people get MAX? thought it was like 3000- 6000$, thats like insanely priced, and ive tried the trial versions and they arent fully functional, I have Truespace6.6,Milkshape, and Blender.

and the same question goes for photoshop,I have Paintshop pro 10 and it kind of sux.

*coughs*

*whistles innocently*

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I actually had a legit copy of one of the very early releases of Max once. No idea where it is now though.

No copy of Max installed atm unfortunately. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Is there any way to set this up so max doesn't close every time it fails?  It's driving me absolutely mental at the minute, particularly as I don't have a sodding clue what's going wrong and am trying every possible permutation of hierarchies and model changes.

Agreed, that error must close max is one of the reasons I'm sticking with PCS.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
This is quite odd, really; the model won't convert normally, but if I collapse big chunks of vertices so it's about 6 polys, then undo back to the original, it does.  It seems to me that it is more likely to be something to do with the scene than the plugin, perhaps some form of corruption that's removed when it rolls back changes, but it's truly baffling.

Have you tried created a new object from it with a boolean intersection?  I know that it helps stop PCS stack overflow errors.
Basically create a big box completely surrounding the object in question, then boolean intersection with it.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Have you tried created a new object from it with a boolean intersection?  I know that it helps stop PCS stack overflow errors.
Basically create a big box completely surrounding the object in question, then boolean intersection with it.

Nope, but it seems to convert ok if I convert another (known to be ok) model first, then it.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Is there any way to set this up so max doesn't close every time it fails?  It's driving me absolutely mental at the minute, particularly as I don't have a sodding clue what's going wrong and am trying every possible permutation of hierarchies and model changes.

You act as if I hadn't already tried desperately to fix that particular problem. :p
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I'd love it if this would work correctly (NO MORE TRUESPACE!!!) but it doesn't seem to generate a .pof file. just the three log files. It's a very simple model, basically a glorified sphere (no, i didn't smooth it, it's using 16 sections.)

i'm running a legit copy of 3ds max 8.

any ideas on what to do?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
If you're having this problem, its more than likely your model isnt named correctly, or the hierarchy is wrong. I use it in 3ds 8 and get pofs every time without crashes.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
i MIGHT have found the problem.

does the converter use the material, or just the bitmap?

cause i'm using a material, no bitmap.

is there anyway to convert an applied material into a bitmap?

EDIT: nvm, i think i found it...
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline dr22

Hey there Turey; I have just downloaded and installed the Demo 3dsMax8. Is there any tutorials like that play and talk and show how to get started with 3dsMax8? I have the pdf tutorial stuff. But I guess I have a problem understanding it. Any help would be appreciated. The demo is only good for 30 days though. :-)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
i MIGHT have found the problem.

does the converter use the material, or just the bitmap?

cause i'm using a material, no bitmap.

is there anyway to convert an applied material into a bitmap?

EDIT: nvm, i think i found it...

Hmm, I know this is ooooold, but you have to use bitmap materials. Procedurals will NOT work. However, if you have achieved an effect that you like and want to use that, then I'd suggest you render to texture, and create a map out of that, once you've finished everything, of course.

Offline Roanoke

anybody tried this with Max v7 ?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The max 6 one works with 6, 7 and 8.

It works, though I could stand it if there were less crashes but hey, I'm 3ds and Maya all the way.

Ehh... I haven't visited this thread in a long time, when was the last version of the exporter released?
I have created a masterpiece.