Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 117440 times)

Offline Veers

Re: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)
I regret not purchasing when I had the chance :'(
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Aesaar

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
What a... titanic accomplishment.
:cool:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Cool. It'll be a pleasure to die under Imperiouse's fire. :D

yay. It's finished :)

Now please finish this one :D

http://p3d.in/cStgj

Excellent source of inspiration in my opinion ;)

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Holy ****, that Titan looks gorgeous. I had to get used to the Erebus, but this...This is brilliant.

If you could also update this photo whenever you have the time, that would be perfect.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Bah, not fond of the beam cluster at all. I complained about this when it was first showcased, but of course nobody listened. The original arrangement was better, now they look like they could all be taken out with a single torpedo. I guess we can now count the Titan amongst ships that got all their distinctive features stripped over the course of remaking them. Not fond of circular intakes, either. The overall result is not really a bad model (except for the beam cluster, that thing's awful and would be better replaced with a single beam, if anything), but just looks generic, much like the Erebus.

Wasn't the beam setup the source of problems with firing? At least I noticed that when I was having fun with Titan in FRED. 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The only thing I miss from the old model is the more irregular, dynamic shape of the spine - with the swell along the front and the fin at the back. But I ain't complaining if we get a gorgeous new model.

Offline Lowane

Wow. The Titan looks stunning, absolutely stunning.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Bah, not fond of the beam cluster at all. I complained about this when it was first showcased, but of course nobody listened. The original arrangement was better, now they look like they could all be taken out with a single torpedo. I guess we can now count the Titan amongst ships that got all their distinctive features stripped over the course of remaking them. Not fond of circular intakes, either. The overall result is not really a bad model (except for the beam cluster, that thing's awful and would be better replaced with a single beam, if anything), but just looks generic, much like the Erebus.
same but i too am gay
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I don't really like the cluster either, I think the front looked more interesting with the beams spread out.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Aesaar

Yes, I too consider awkwardness and googly eyes a distinctive feature.  Unlike you, however, I don't think that "distinctive" means "good".  I'm glad they're gone and I wouldn't make a model that had them.  I kept the things that I thought looked good.

And you like Wing Commander.  You have no ground to stand on calling anything generic as a negative.  Or is generic just a catch-all term for **** you don't like?

Not intakes, btw.  Reverse thrusters.  Hence why they have the same model as the forward thrusters.

The only thing I miss from the old model is the more irregular, dynamic shape of the spine - with the swell along the front and the fin at the back. But I ain't complaining if we get a gorgeous new model.
I agree.   I'm quite dissatisfied with the spine.

I don't really like the cluster either, I think the front looked more interesting with the beams spread out.
Couldn't make it work without having a really obvious face on the front of the ship.  Faces annoy the **** out of me.  You get Shivan-y triangle instead.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:35:02 am by Aesaar »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
And you like Wing Commander.  You have no ground to stand on calling anything generic as a negative.  Or is generic just a catch-all term for **** you don't like?
TBH, the last sentence wasn't really negative, just kind of "meh". Yes, Wing Commander fleets all play the "generic Terran ship design" to the hilt. Scooby Doo took this aesthetic and ran with it, resulting in a large number of good, multipurpose models (they don't look out of place even in the animesque Dimensional Eclipse).

That said, the original Titan was a very unique and interesting ship, which was a good thing. It lost that in the remake. That said, now that I've looked at it in PCS2, it's not all bad. I'm not really fond of the reverse thruster idea (especially since it's the only ship that has them and FSO isn't all that good at making them work), but if you replaced them with Erebus-style intakes and changed that horrible beam cluster, I could warm up to it. It kind of reminds me of Argon warships from X2 and X3. I suppose the spine could be more "dynamic" like Battuta said, but you could also go further away from the original and make it completely flat, like on Erebus.
Couldn't make it work without having a really obvious face on the front of the ship.  Faces annoy the **** out of me.  You get Shivan-y triangle instead.
Eh, it'd have been better off with a face. Now that you mentioned it, the triangle does look Shivan and rather out of place on an otherwise very Terran ship. What you could do would be to kick two of those beams off to the outriggers and have the third centrally between them (maybe slightly above or below, but not too far above or you'll get a face again). Indeed, there are two flat surfaces on the outriggers which look like a perfect location for two of the beams.

Aesaar are you sure you aren't just unusually prone to pareidolia? Because this is not the first time you've redone the front of a ship because you couldn't stop seeing faces in it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Aesaar are you sure you aren't just unusually prone to pareidolia? Because this is not the first time you've redone the front of a ship because you couldn't stop seeing faces in it.
I honestly think the guy's a bit nutters, aside from the chronic pie kleptomania
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
This is why we can't have nice things. If you really prefer your own creative direction, make your own models.

Offline mr.WHO

+1 to Makhpella request to make a new screenshot of Erebus and Titan jumping to Saturn :)

Offline Aesaar

That said, the original Titan was a very unique and interesting ship, which was a good thing. It lost that in the remake. That said, now that I've looked at it in PCS2, it's not all bad. I'm not really fond of the reverse thruster idea (especially since it's the only ship that has them and FSO isn't all that good at making them work), but if you replaced them with Erebus-style intakes and changed that horrible beam cluster, I could warm up to it. It kind of reminds me of Argon warships from X2 and X3. I suppose the spine could be more "dynamic" like Battuta said, but you could also go further away from the original and make it completely flat, like on Erebus.
I disagree.  It was unique, but it was not interesting.  In Caiaphas' words, it looked like "a disturbingly dildo-shaped shiny space liner".  I just think it looked awkward, bulgy, and googly-eyed, much like the Hyperion.

And they're not intakes on the Erebus either.  Notice how they look very similar to the Hyperion's main engines.  They don't need to be functional, they just need to add visual interest to an otherwise flat and featureless area.  They're circular here because the Titan is curvier than the Erebus is, so these fit better.

Eh, it'd have been better off with a face. Now that you mentioned it, the triangle does look Shivan and rather out of place on an otherwise very Terran ship. What you could do would be to kick two of those beams off to the outriggers and have the third centrally between them (maybe slightly above or below, but not too far above or you'll get a face again). Indeed, there are two flat surfaces on the outriggers which look like a perfect location for two of the beams.
I had versions with a face on them.  I preferred to start from scratch than keep them.  No, it would not have been better off with a face.  The Shivan comparison was very deliberate, and was intended to fit with BP's own narrative comparisons between the Shivans and the GTVA.  I like to think it works.

In any case, the prow isn't changing.  I settled on this after completely clearing the front of the ship three or four times.   I'm certainly not changing it at your request, especially since I quite like it and it's already been UV mapped and textured.

TBH, the last sentence wasn't really negative, just kind of "meh". Yes, Wing Commander fleets all play the "generic Terran ship design" to the hilt. Scooby Doo took this aesthetic and ran with it, resulting in a large number of good, multipurpose models (they don't look out of place even in the animesque Dimensional Eclipse).
I really mean no disrespect to Scooby Doo when I say this, but this is exactly what I mean.  I don't like Scooby's ships at all.  Not even a little.  The models are technically good, but that exemplifies how terrible WC ship designs are (his HD Bearcat is a stronger indictment of WC ship designs than I could ever make).  They're incredibly boring to me.  Knowing that he and I are never going to agree, I try to stay away from his threads.  His art style and mine are incompatible.

If you like like his ships and dislike mine, you and I have nothing to discuss.  I'm never going to make a ship you like.

+1 to Makhpella request to make a new screenshot of Erebus and Titan jumping to Saturn :)
I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:00:53 pm by Aesaar »