Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 117566 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)
It's gorgeous. Incredible achievement Aesaar, you should be proud :yes:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you like like his ships and dislike mine, you and I have nothing to discuss.  I'm never going to make a ship you like.
Well, to be fair it's not like you never made a ship that I liked. The corvettes were an awesome upgrade (bet you're contemplating remaking those now... :) ). TBH, I often wonder how your style would work on other Stratcomm's ships. You'd have probably liked the GTVA command station, at least (Phoenix and heavy AWACS are likely bizzare enough to end up in "remake from ground up" category).

Offline CT27

I like FS and Wing Commander ships.

In any case, this is a visually awesome upgrade Aesaar, I like your work.  Out of curiosity though, what do you think of the complaint some have that having the beams closer together like that would make them easier to destroy?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I like it. A lot :yes:
As cool as StratComms coherent fleet design is, I was never too fond of his insistence on the 5-fold starfish symmetry. So I really like the new look of the Hyperion/Erebus/Titan, where the weird/random shapes dial has been moved down a notch.
Also, besides from the design aspect, I really dig your texturing work :yes:

Bravo, Sir.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Seriously, the new Titan is awesome. The old model was good too, but it needed an update to fit in with BP's new GTVA aesthetic, and the new model certainly does that. They're different ships at this point. Aesaar's titan is a sleek and utilitarian warship, where the older design was obviously trying to evoke the fantastical floating city look ships like the Orion had going on. Aesaar's model fits in much better with BP's tone and direction.

I also think the Beam Array placement on the new model makes more sense, for what it's worth.

Offline Luis Dias

I liked the old "beam Array placement" better, (and I also agree with Battuta's shape criticism) but that's PEANUTS compared to the overall awesomeness of the thing. Let it fly, let it FLY! :D

Offline Aesaar

In any case, this is a visually awesome upgrade Aesaar, I like your work.  Out of curiosity though, what do you think of the complaint some have that having the beams closer together like that would make them easier to destroy?
They're better protected than the old beams were, both in terms of point-defenses and because only the dishes themselves are vulnerable.  The housings count as hull.  They're also still pretty widely spaced, in absolute terms.

If you like like his ships and dislike mine, you and I have nothing to discuss.  I'm never going to make a ship you like.
Well, to be fair it's not like you never made a ship that I liked. The corvettes were an awesome upgrade (bet you're contemplating remaking those now... :) ). TBH, I often wonder how your style would work on other Stratcomm's ships. You'd have probably liked the GTVA command station, at least (Phoenix and heavy AWACS are likely bizzare enough to end up in "remake from ground up" category).
I'm planning on remodeling the Diomedes, since it was the first model I fully completed and textured, and there's a thousand things I hate about it.  Chimera and Bellerophon are still ok though.

I don't want to remodel the other Stratcomm ships.  If it isn't used in BP, it doesn't really interest me, especially since BP still has models that need replacement and this community has loads of good Terran ships.  I also need to start practicing with Shivan and especially Vasudan ships, and I hate most of Stratcomm's zod ships.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:04:42 pm by Aesaar »

Offline crizza

Awesome work Aesaar, can't wait to see it in game  :D

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

They're better protected than the old beams were, both in terms of point-defenses and because only the dishes themselves are vulnerable.  The housings count as hull.  They're also still pretty widely spaced, in absolute terms.

I'm planning on remodeling the Diomedes, since it was the first model I fully completed and textured, and there's a thousand things I hate about it.  Chimera and Bellerophon are still ok though.

Really, the diomedes? that's actually my favorite ship design
Stuff

The Diomedes looks awesome, I'd hate to see it changed.

Yeah, the new Diomedes looks good, I'm kinda curious about what you dislike about it.

Offline Luis Dias

It's built with high quality, but it's the most boring ship design in BP.

Offline Darius

Think of it as another addition to the Aesaar ship pack for people to use!

The Dio's design reminds me of one of those small rectangular pies:

Coincidence?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Now I'm hungry for Diomedes ships.

Offline Aesaar

It's not terribly well detailed, it's uvmapped inefficiently, and it generally could be better all around.

The design won't change much, it'll just be modernized and made more interesting.  Should fit in better with the newer ships.  That's for later though.  Got other things I want to tackle first.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The only thing I'd change is the bridge (it's very different from the later ships), the beams (they're much smaller than TerSlashes on the other ships) and perhaps the drone mounts (they look kind of tacked on, which they were).

Offline Drogoth

Might be just more noise but I'm gonna add my voice to the 'Love the Diomedes' crowd.

Glad to hear the design won't change too much - I always thought it looked sleek but very functional.

The other ships always looked a little ungainly to me, though less so after their updates. I get the logic of shock jumping, but having all that firepower focused forward always gave me the impression that they were just big guns floating around in space. The new Diomedes and to a lesser extent the Deimos are the two ships in FS that just scream SPACESHIP at me, and that's what I love about them.

So vote of confidence to the new Diomedes. It's my favourite ship in FS, across both games and all mods.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Darius

Apologies for the

but

Holy ****, that Titan looks gorgeous. I had to get used to the Erebus, but this...This is brilliant.

If you could also update this photo whenever you have the time, that would be perfect.

This is my attempt, using draft PBR maps, new lighting and bloom

Edit: Lightened!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:01:14 am by Darius »

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
 :jaw:
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?