Author Topic: You want? (Concept Colossus)  (Read 23273 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: You want? (Concept Colossus)
If Terran hulls are stronger, how come the Typhon and Hatshepsut BOTH have more HP than the Orion and Hecate?

There's no doubt Terran weapons are stronger of course (*cough*Vasudan Light Laser*cough*) ;)

Like I said, it was mere speculation that this maybe a reason that the Collosus looked so terran in design. *SHRUGS* Never said it was canon.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
actually I think it is generally accepted that terran == slow tough, vasudan == fast light.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes, the middle needs some greebling to break up the flat surfaces.

I'm still thinking what to add, since in the concept, it is flat...

*Playing Drakensang, so...yeah...modeling is going slowly
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
One question, how many turrets/fighterbays you intend to let the Concept have?

The "intended" 80+ turrets and 1 fighterbay, or...???

One fighterbay just doesn't cut it for a ship that can store over 100 fighters in my opinion... even if it is more to the "weapons carrier" side of things... maybe fill a blank space somewhere with another bay or two? :doubt:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's odd how only Terran ships have one fighterbay with the exception of the Shivan's Moloch and oddly enough the Sathanas.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Odd indeed. :nod:
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's odd how only Terran ships have one fighterbay with the exception of the Shivan's Moloch and oddly enough the Sathanas.
Terran fighterbays are bigger I guess...

The Moloch isn't much of a carrier and the Sath. Well, you can fit a Fenris in its fighterbay.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
 :D Well said Snail.
What's up?

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
and the Sath. Well, you can fit a Fenris in its fighterbay.
It's probably true.  :nod:

Isn't the Sath's fighterbay just a big "pit" in the ship? It's not like the Orion's fighterbay is it?
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looking at the Demon it looks like the two hangers follow up to a pit as well.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Reminds me of "Playing Judas"...ech
What's up?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
And then there's those ships with entryways so small the launched fighters/bombers actually collide with each other as they exit the launch bay...

It gets worse if the fighter/bomber is a new model that's big and doesn't follow the "FS standard" dimensions...

/random_rant_don't_mind_me  :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

And then there's those ships with entryways so small the launched fighters/bombers actually collide with each other as they exit the launch bay...

It gets worse if the fighter/bomber is a new model that's big and doesn't follow the "FS standard" dimensions...

Actually,I think it should be the ships that should have been designed with a proper Launch bay that should support ALL it's bombers and fighters. Most designs I have seen do not do that too well and the bays are merely an afterthought in the design. Also, to be fair, the engine for FreeSpace2 has a very basic way to handle multi fighter and bomber ships for launching. They also do not have anything for recovery of bombers and fighters either that I'm aware of.

The Il2 flight sim has just what is needed for such a thing by the fact you can launch and recover planes off carriers. I'm not sure, but the same principal could be coded into FreeSpace2 so the ships take off in sequence and land in sequence as well. Once they have landed, they would de-spawn or exit the game. And this flight sim has been around for as long as FreeSpace2 has.  :D
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Actually,I think it should be the ships that should have been designed with a proper Launch bay that should support ALL it's bombers and fighters. Most designs I have seen do not do that too well and the bays are merely an afterthought in the design. Also, to be fair, the engine for FreeSpace2 has a very basic way to handle multi fighter and bomber ships for launching. They also do not have anything for recovery of bombers and fighters either that I'm aware of.

The Il2 flight sim has just what is needed for such a thing by the fact you can launch and recover planes off carriers. I'm not sure, but the same principal could be coded into FreeSpace2 so the ships take off in sequence and land in sequence as well. Once they have landed, they would de-spawn or exit the game. And this flight sim has been around for as long as FreeSpace2 has.  :D

Really? I thought IL-2 was from 2002-2003?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
*reads Jadehawk's post despite not really being in any 'proper' state to think*
*Ends up imagining fighter planes launching off a navy carrier's catapult*
click-BOOOM-LAUNCH~ and onward they go into the skies of blue...

:lol:

--------------

A Colossus catapult-launching 150 fully-armed spacecraft in one shot would make for real shock value, wouldn't it now... the enemy going "OMGWTF" and whatnot...

But a bit of what you said, very "basic"... they simply fly out of the hangar, and with the various SEXP methods of departure they just fly in...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I thought IL-2 was from 2002-2003?

IL-2 Sturmovik's first version was published in 2001 so it's been around since the FS2 source code was opened and work on FS2_Open started, which IMHO is the relevant comparision regarding the engine. However, to be honest the original IL-2 compared to Forgotten Battles was more like comparing FS1 to FS2, although the differences weren't quite so drastic, but FB is definitely a sequel to the first Sturmovik game. Forgotten Battles came out in 2003, Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters in 2004, and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 in 2006.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I thought IL-2 was from 2002-2003?

IL-2 Sturmovik's first version was published in 2001 so it's been around since the FS2 source code was opened and work on FS2_Open started, which IMHO is the relevant comparision regarding the engine. However, to be honest the original IL-2 compared to Forgotten Battles was more like comparing FS1 to FS2, although the differences weren't quite so drastic, but FB is definitely a sequel to the first Sturmovik game. Forgotten Battles came out in 2003, Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters in 2004, and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 in 2006.

I see, I own Pacific Fighters and played FB as a budding 9/10 yr old.

Anyway

Is there really anything we can do code/animation wise regarding the take-off/landing procedures or is it going to stay as is. I have a feeling it's going to be the latter.

What Herra Tohtori said!!!
Sorry I was not clear about that! and YES it's been around since FS2 was open is what I meant.

I have done a mission once where I made all the leftover fighters and bombers to return to the station and fly into the fighterbay then warp out without the warp once. It was a pain-in-the-you-know-what to make as I'm not too savvy with all them fancy expressions and codes in FRED2. Sometimes the shipos didn't warp out like they should and some hug around after they should have warped out until I told them to warp. I made that mission about 8 years ago before SCP and many computers back. 
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The concept colli will have 2 fighterbays (at least). One on each side of the central fin (you can see it allready), maybe I'll add more. I'll have to see.

The Colli mk2 is currently on hold tough. My graphics card is kicking the bucket - graphical artifacts and chrashes in every game I try and play...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
What Herra Tohtori said!!!
Sorry I was not clear about that! and YES it's been around since FS2 was open is what I meant.

I have done a mission once where I made all the leftover fighters and bombers to return to the station and fly into the fighterbay then warp out without the warp once. It was a pain-in-the-you-know-what to make as I'm not too savvy with all them fancy expressions and codes in FRED2. Sometimes the shipos didn't warp out like they should and some hug around after they should have warped out until I told them to warp. I made that mission about 8 years ago before SCP and many computers back. 

You don't need to make them warp out. If you set their departure target to a ship's docking bay they will fly in there and disappear.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta