Author Topic: Freespace RTS Mod  (Read 58382 times)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
I can't wait for release ;7
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Guess I'll have to start watching this one. One question though- ship names. Does the player get to name them, or are they just random names from some list?

Maybe like EaW, you don't even see names unless you hover the mouse over them.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I meant, does the player get to name/call the ship ? For example, I have an Orion and want to call it Terra. Do I get to do it, or does it already come with some random name ?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Right now, the plan seems to be to have user-made ships have no name, and special 'hero' ships will show names. For example, a colossus or an Orion might have a name, but a freighter generally wouldn't.

This is all subject to change and confirmation of course.

Edit: actually, I can think now of an easy way to name ships in the script, it's just how to activate it properly. Too many buttons = user hell.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't think that a random name form a list is that bad.
After all, you can edit the list to get new names, right?

Obviously, ships important to the storyline would retain their name (as in, not have one fetched from the list, actually pre-assigned).
I wouldn't want to have to name every ship I made personally, since I'll end up using numbers... since creativity runs out, and you start losing too many ships to think of other names.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Right now, the plan seems to be to have user-made ships have no name, and special 'hero' ships will show names. For example, a colossus or an Orion might have a name, but a freighter generally wouldn't.

This is all subject to change and confirmation of course.

Edit: actually, I can think now of an easy way to name ships in the script, it's just how to activate it properly. Too many buttons = user hell.

just remember to change the name string in the meta system as well. otherwise youl loose the ability to get stats for that ship
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I really like this idea.  What youve done so far looks great.  Question: Will there be an on screen command menu or will all comands be given through keyboard shortcuts?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Actually, the on-screen menu is the next step we are beginning to work on.

It will probably consist of two rows of buttons along the bottom of the screen, to the right of the tactical radar (minimap).

Actually, the on-screen menu is the next step we are beginning to work on.

It will probably consist of two rows of buttons along the bottom of the screen, to the right of the tactical radar (minimap).

that sounds cool.  makes it more rts-ish.  and good for you guys making an rts out of the freespace engine.  i doubt there's too many projects like this with any fps engine.

Another question: are you using the models from the FS2 vps?  and if so, will one be able to run with HTL or will that be too slow?
What about gameplay?  Will you follow orders from command or will you be in total control of your objectives?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
As for gameplay, that is still not decided.

As for graphics... let's just say that trying to have two Molochs, an Orion, a non-HTL Ravana, three Hatshepsuts, a Deimos, an Aeolus, and a Lilith, as well as several fighters, and the cool nebulae backdrops... (mediavps 3.6.8 stuff, that is)... on my computer gets about 5 fps. We are considering changing the lods, or maybe just using certain aspects of the mediavps that we like (that is, making our own vp). I believe that for doing this, iot would effectively include most of the effects, but not the HTL models.

Also, if he feels up to it, I've asked Hellstryker to make a certain alien warship from another game universe, just for fun. Assuming Blizzard doesn't send a cease and desist (and I doubt they would, considering we'd only be using one fan-made model), we might throw it in just for fun.

Offline Ryan

This looks fun! Any release date?

suggestion:

A piloting mode. You take control of one of your fighters and join the field of combat! Wouldn't that be fun? You could help bomb enemy capships or attack fighters!

Offline Droid803

Errr...play normal FS2 for that?
(´・ω・`)

Errr...play normal FS2 for that?

So it shouldn't be too hard to include in this mod. :p
I don't know, it could be a good idea.  Add a new dynamic feature to RTS.

Offline Droid803

Uh...I wouldn't say that.
They're basically rewriting the UI for this...and you're telling them to add the old one back in, and have it work smoothly (and somehow make it playable on both, while maintaining difficulty/balance) through transition?
 :wtf:

I wouldn't know how much the baseline code has deviated, but from experience, you change one thing to do something else, it won't necessarily mean that it will be easy to make it do both. Actually, its probably harder than starting from scratch... Anyhow, it will push back the release...and add (unnecessary) work. I say, unless its so easy it's like "Ok, we'll add this in right now, and it'll work", no need.
(´・ω・`)

I can't wait for this, i love RTS. And why can't you just use the original 1999 ships, it's not like you're gonna be zoomed in super close  :doubt:

Also, why don't we try and set it like EaW does: Each class/type (cruiser, corvette, destroyer, etc.) has its own 'area' on the Y axis, to prevent extra collisions.

Finally, how about, like if you're zoomed out enough to not clearly see ships, why don't we make it so that the FS2 briefing icons appear over ships to aid in visibility?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
just finished coding in the button system. its pretty awesome and dynamic. you can add buttons to your heart's content.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

just finished coding in the button system. its pretty awesome and dynamic. you can add buttons to your heart's content.

are you saying the interface is customizable by the user while playing?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
No.

then what does nuke mean?