Author Topic: ChristianU2Uber  (Read 13298 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Why can't we just all agree that he's a disgrace to the human race and leave it at that?

Yeah, that works

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Sharing beliefs != forcing beliefs. It's that simple.

In any case, it's impossible to "force" beliefs. Nobody can reach inside your head and flip a switch labeled "BELIEF 14A ON/OFF." The worst they can do is force you to listen, but even that doesn't take away your freedom to believe what you want.

Why can't we just all agree that he's a disgrace to the human race and leave it at that?

Is it a bigger disgrace to have unpopular (or even illogical) beliefs, or to pretend that you don't so people don't yell at you? Which speaks better of humanity: standing up for what you believe in regardless of the consequence, or meekly hiding in a corner and pretending that your beliefs are something other than what they really are? Is it worse to be a heretic or a coward?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Why must you force that view on me? Why can't I make up my own opinion about him? STOP OPPRESSING ME!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well my opinion on this matter is :-

He has every right to state his opinion on YouTube. Even in the way he does.

However, if you're going to state your opinions publicly, you have to be ready for the fact that other people might not agree with them and will point out the flaws in your arguments.

While that doesn't mean they are right to insult him, the fact that he is 12 shouldn't prevent him from getting the full force of scorn for his poorly thought out, ill-founded opinion. If he was arrogant enough to think he was ready to argue with grown ups on this of all subjects, he should be disabused of that notion quickly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FORCING
You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Scientists try to disprove Evolution every single day of the week, comes with the territory. Now, you may laugh at a kid who barely look old enough to know his penis has more than one use spouting his indoctrinated crap all over Internet, heck, it worked for evangelicals far older than he, but I really can't see any sign of compulsion or force being used in his comments.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
FORCING
You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sorry..... Being in front of the computer all day tends to leave me in an irritable state

* Trying to shape my beliefs, you all brought up a good point, by clicking on the video, I'm basically agreeing to have my beliefs shaped by a 12 year old child who sent me the following message this morning:

Quote from: Allegedly Homosexual Christian Youtuber
Stop It
Ive Seen Your Comment On The SlapChop. I Cant Beleive You Would Say That. Thats The Reason You Will Not Get Into Heaven.

Now THAT is what I'm starting to have some issues with. Although being in the city kept it off my mind. The reason I won't get into heaven........ Hmmm, I simply don't see how a TWELVE YEAR OLD CHILD has the ability to dictate who gets into Heaven (regardless of wether it exists or not)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Now THAT is what I'm starting to have some issues with. Although being in the city kept it off my mind. The reason I won't get into heaven........ Hmmm, I simply don't see how a TWELVE YEAR OLD CHILD has the ability to dictate who gets into Heaven (regardless of wether it exists or not)

He doesn't  :wtf:

And yet the fact you are so mad that he says he does, you fly into this mini rage.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

He doesn't  :wtf:

And yet the fact you are so mad that he says he does, you fly into this mini rage.

Actually I kind of like being angry, it's like being hypo with a purpose :P

He opens himself right up to attack. And plus it helps as my stress relief, which I now realise is kind of cruel... Using a twelve year old boy as my stress relief, but then again, his "belief moulding" did upset me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:25:00 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
blah blah...trying to debunk EVOLUTION! blah blah
Evolution vs. Creation is an extension of the No God vs. God debate.

It hasn't been conclusively to most Creationists(myself included) that we are an accident.  The argument, is less about how we got here, than it is about God's existence or lack thereof.

I can't speak as to why Evolutionist are so intent on disproving the existence of God.  For myself, simply from the point of view of the existence of Life, things are too perfectly set up for Life to exist on this world, perhaps the entire universe for it to be an accident.  Also, Creationism does not by extension imply a Young Earth.  What has been conclusively proven is that the edge of the observable universe is 15 billion light years away from us.  That means that the light we see has been in transit for 15 billion years, so the universe is at least that old.

Speaking as a Christian, I will say that perhaps the reason people seem so desperate to deny the existence of God is that it also means that one day, some time in the future, they will be called to account for they're actions and accept the consequences for them, or if you are a Christian, Christ will vouch for you and which means that your rewards will be proportional to your deeds.

In the end, practically speaking, what does it matter where we came from, what matters is the here and now, what we do with what we have been given.  I mean if you came out tomorrow with incontravertable evidence that people evolved from chimps or something what would change?  People would still have to go to work and pay they're bills, they'd still go to the park with they're kids, go fishing, play video games, ect.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that zealotry, on any subject, is a bad thing.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline iamzack

Evolutionists aren't intent on disproving God. Burden of proof says that's not our problem.

If you don't believe in God, you will bother to go out and find the answers to your questions about nature. If you do believe in God, you most likely just read your holy book and then stick your fingers in your ears.

Whatever works for you, dude.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Evolution vs. Creation is an extension of the No God vs. God debate.

Not really. There are plenty of religious people who accept evolution as the only sensible explanation we have for how humanity came to be. What it's an extension of is the biblical literalism vs science debate or the biblical literalism vs biblical symbolism debate.

It hasn't been conclusively to most Creationists(myself included) that we are an accident.  The argument, is less about how we got here, than it is about God's existence or lack thereof.

Wrong. That's exactly what any argument trying to disprove evolution is about. That's why religious people who do accept evolution join in on the same side as the atheists for that argument. It's only if the discussion moves on into the separate argument about God's existence that they swap sides.

I can't speak as to why Evolutionist are so intent on disproving the existence of God.

Firstly, there is no such thing as an Evolutionist. Fundamentalist christians like to make up that word so that they can label everyone who disagrees with them. Usually they then start pulling in arguments about the big bang (which have nothing to do with evolution) soon after. It simply proves that they don't know the subject that they are arguing about.

Secondly, people who accept evolution aren't necessarily intent on disproving the existence of God. While many people who accept evolution are atheists, many are agnostics and many are religious. Even many atheists aren't interested in disproving the existence of God. As I've said in the past I've got no problem with someone claiming God exists at the philosophical level. My problem is when they try to attribute real world things that already have an explanation to God.

Attempted to claim that they are all trying to disprove the existence of God is naive at best and deliberately fallacious at worst.

For myself, simply from the point of view of the existence of Life, things are too perfectly set up for Life to exist on this world, perhaps the entire universe for it to be an accident.  Also, Creationism does not by extension imply a Young Earth.  What has been conclusively proven is that the edge of the observable universe is 15 billion light years away from us.  That means that the light we see has been in transit for 15 billion years, so the universe is at least that old.

You should read the Young Earth Creationists arguments against that then. It should give you a good chuckle at least. :p

Speaking as a Christian, I will say that perhaps the reason people seem so desperate to deny the existence of God is that it also means that one day, some time in the future, they will be called to account for they're actions and accept the consequences for them, or if you are a Christian, Christ will vouch for you and which means that your rewards will be proportional to your deeds.

Or perhaps they are sick of the bull**** that gets done in Christ's name. **** like blowing up abortion clinics, starting wars, hamstringing sex ed. programs both here and in the developing world.

As I said earlier I don't deny the existence of God. I deny that there is any proof. And without proof there is no sense in believing in God. And I'm certainly not any more worried about being judged by God than I'm worried about having Ma'at weigh my heart after death.

In the end, practically speaking, what does it matter where we came from

Practically speaking? A lot. Had Darwin's discovery been suppressed then we wouldn't have modern genetics. A great deal of medical knowledge is based upon an understanding of evolution (Virology is another good example). The techniques that are the result of an understanding of evolution have a lot of importance in the fight against diseases and in medicine. So yes, it does matter.

The people who want to suppress and devalue the understanding of evolution would hold back medical advances as a result of their stupidity. Which is why this kind of nonsense needs to be stopped.

what matters is the here and now, what we do with what we have been given.  I mean if you came out tomorrow with incontravertable evidence that people evolved from chimps or something what would change?  People would still have to go to work and pay they're bills, they'd still go to the park with they're kids, go fishing, play video games, ect.

Well it would mean that YECs had to finally shut the **** up. They'd be proved 100% incorrect about biblical literalism. With that gone society probably would undergo quite large changes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that zealotry, on any subject, is a bad thing.

That's a great ideal, try actually living by it. I've seen you make several statements over the last couple of weeks, on subjects you quite obviously have no understanding of. And the only explanation I can think of is that you are motivated purely by zealotry when making them.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:11:32 am by karajorma »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Kara, if you think I'm a zealot, you are way off base, my mother and my sister are way closer to that than I am.  Anyone who would use God as an excuse for mass murder is sick and twisted.  Anyone who brings up legitimate wars or events that aren't well documented historically to try and make a historical point is simply trying to perpetuate old arguments and not let go of the past.  I don't bring up Napolean anytime I feel like bashing France do I.

My point about zealotry is this, to pursue a goal with a sense of zeal is admirable, but go too far and you become Ahab chasing his white whale.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Fine, but what does any of that have to do with this topic?

The closest I've seen to zealotry on this thread is you trying to lump every single person who accepts evolution together into a single group who you can then claim are trying to deny the existence of God.

Of course if we never hear that particular nonsense again I'll withdraw that claim since a zealot never learns from his mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:56:52 am by karajorma »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

This statement tells me you have no idea what evolutionary theory actually means, because it says that nothing on Earth is an accident.  In that sense, evolutionary theory fits quite well with an average Christian belief set (which is precisely why the Roman Catholic Church has recognized and accepted it).

Evolutionary theory is based most heavily on a single premise, which was Darwin's meaningful contribution to a theory that actually existed long before him:  survival of the fittest (natural selection).  The organism best adapted to its environment survives and reproduces, while its competitors die.  This doesn't mean the morphology of life is random - anything but.  It means that each organism on Earth, from bacteria to human beings, exists because it is the most capable of surviving in its environment.  Doesn't that sound awfully similar to the idea of God creating all the plants and animals of the Earth to do a specific job, and fill a particular ecological niche?

Evolutionary theory doesn't care where life came from, how it arrived on Earth, etc.  It's only premise is that life changes over time and is shaped by the environment it occupies.  Which we see evidence for in daily life, for that matter.  Bacterial evolution is well-documented, and a study conducted in the early 2000s conclusively showed how the introduction of a new selective pressure (a predator) into the environment of a species of land-dwelling lizard resulted in a significant change that the lizard populations evolved shorter legs and the ability to climb trees (which they did not previously possess).  That took a whopping three years.

The other big criticism I hear all the time is "I can't believe people came from monkeys."  BZZZZT.  Wrong.  Evolution says humans and apes came from a common ancestor millions of years back - it doesn't say that apes evolved, and then turned into humans.  Apes are the best evolved organism for their niche at present, while humans occupy an entirely different niche.

So, while fundamentally uninformed Christians may try to say that evolution versus creation is an argument about the existence of God, it isn't.  Evolutionary theory doesn't give a rat's ass where life came from, just how it changes over time.  We presume, because all life on Earth shares a single genetic code, that we came from a single type of ancestor but the fact of the matter is that a giant purple alien named Bob could have barfed up his lunch one day while passing through our solar system and that's the origin of life on Earth.  It doesn't matter in the slightest to evolutionary theory.

Abiogenesis and Big Bang theory both talk about the origin of life itself, which Christians often drag into evolutionary debates to conclusively prove they have no idea what they're actually debating.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah

Evolution--->Creationism

Existence of God

Two different things

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Y'know, I *was* gonna jump into a rapidly-expanding storm of debate, but then I remembered I don't really have time for any distractions in the next few weeks. But, since I bothered to speak up- Freedom of Speech, people. You have the freedom to state your opinions, and in response, others have the freedom to offer... *ahem* feedback on it. Further, watching that guy's videos is wholly a matter of choice; it's not like he's breaking into your house, tying you down, and putting his vid up on your screen with a gun to your head. Uh... one other thing. How many 12-year-olds can actually maintain a decent debate? It's not a rhetorical question (not entirely, anyway).
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's not a very good debate though. His arguments are pretty crap to be honest.

Offline iamzack

Arguments against evolution rarely are...
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not just those though.

Raise your arms
You can do that cause you have free will
You have free will cause God gave it to you.

Pretty **** really.