Author Topic: MORTAL ENGINES: Peter Jackson and Bryan See: a match made in heaven?  (Read 18346 times)

MORTAL ENGINES: Peter Jackson and Bryan See: a match made in heaven?
So the first actual trailer for the film just dropped:

I've been pretty excited about this for a while! The books are seriously very good (and that's not just childhood nostalgia speaking, I got Aesaar to read them last year and he loved them) and having Peter Jackson and the rest of the LOTR crew adapt them was a pretty fantastic turn of events. It looks like they've captured a lot of the spectacle and character of the books, and added plenty of their own (I love the insectile kite-planes they've turned the books' blimps into), though whether they've stayed true to the excellent character writing is quite hard to tell from a bunch of exposition cut into a trailer.

They totally ****ed Hester's scar, though. She has 100% more face than she should!
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: MORTAL ENGINES: Peter Jackson and Bryan See: a match made in heaven?
Never heard of that... and it is nothing of my taste at it seems.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I wasn't sold on the story already (Seriously, read the books, they're really cool), this trailer would've done it. This looks like the sort of visually stunning epic-scale adventure that Jackson can deliver really well, and while I still have my quibbles about the toned-down makeup job for Hester, everything else looks properly brilliant.

I am also looking forward to see PANZERSTADT BAYREUTH in there when I saw that pop up in the text I couldn't stop giggling
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:55:17 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Panzerstadt Bareuth WTF? That seems like they don't plan to market this thing in Germany :lol:

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Hester is pretty what the hell.

You know what? No.

I'm sorry, but this grates. It is a personal peeve of mine and I'm not arguing that anyone else should feel the same way, but when an integral part of a character's physical and mental landscape is the fact that they're disfigured and ugly, then I expect them to be depicted as such. The fact that Hollywood seems unable to divorce the 'hero' concept from the 'looks pretty, maybe a bit rugged' concept is pissing me off, perhaps more than it should. When the character goes 'but I am ugly and people are horrified and that has made me bitter and angry', the audience's response should not be 'why is everyone horrified, she looks so badass', the audience's response should be the exact same horror that has led the character to be bitter and angry at others.

What makes it even worse is that Philip Reeve actually discusses this matter in the books, when Hester watches a play based on her life and the lead actor has this teeny cute scar and it pisses Hester off. It's like Reeve saw the future and snarked about it pre-emptively.

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Panzerstadt Bareuth WTF? That seems like they don't plan to market this thing in Germany :lol:
This name made me curious.

It is very strange, because it seems to be a DUTCH city in the universe  :lol:
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
dutch, deutsch, what's the difference
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Well I don't know of course, but if they really do that the movie will probably become known for being extreme popular among German (and maybe Dutch) neonazis, what is not a good thing; alone marketing-wise. :wakka:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:30:41 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
dutch, deutsch, what's the difference

Well, actually, you are right, because i can understand Dutch easier than Bavarian.  :D

Offline Enioch

Well I don't know of course, but if they really do that the movie will probably become known for being extreme popular among German (and maybe Dutch) neonazis, what is not a good thing; alone marketing-wise. :wakka:

PANZERSTADT BAREUTH is unlikely to be popular among German neonazis

Spoiler:
Because she gets nuked by London when she tries to attack them. She loses the battle, very conclusively.

Ah **** I have no idea what this is about anyway. But the White House-like thing reminds me of Spaceballs.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Oh wait. Hester is a fan favorite, if brought to life in a big screen, that gonna be the cult figure for the radicalisation of the young white women (female neo-Nazi/alt-right)? Or not? Perhaps for the better for us? I am a non-white male user by the way.

She kills a lot of people. What happens if she is pitted against the GTVA? Or Shivans? Or anything else in the likes of the UGSF?

I'm sorry for not knowing what I posted. I intended to get word about the movie. Anyway, thanks for the thread, Phantom Hoover.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

She kills a lot of people. What happens if she is pitted against the GTVA? Or Shivans? Or anything else in the likes of the UGSF?

i would very very much like to hear more of your thoughts on this matter
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter

i would very very much like to hear more of your thoughts on this matter
Yeah. I wanted to know what if Hester kills people in the GTVA and the UGSF, as well as Shivans (not all of them)...

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Enioch

I am completely and utterly confused. What the hell does Hester Shaw have to do with white female radicalization, Shivans, the GTVA and the UGSF? What intricate neural links beyond human ken have made you go for this association?

On second thought, maybe I don't want to know.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Bryan See is a very good facsimile of a confused poster with an annoying gimmick.

I intended to get word about the movie. Anyway, thanks for the thread, Phantom Hoover.

Then you should keep it focussed on the movie instead of mixing this here with FS or something like that. There seem to be people interested in this Mortal Engines movie, but if you keep making these Mortal engines+FS+Alt right mesh-ups, this thread will soon be as locked as the other one(s).

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I intended to get word about the movie. Anyway, thanks for the thread, Phantom Hoover.

Then you should keep it focussed on the movie instead of mixing this here with FS or something like that. There seem to be people interested in this Mortal Engines movie, but if you keep making these Mortal engines+FS+Alt right mesh-ups, this thread will soon be as locked as the other one(s).
I do not want this thread to be locked, but where can I do such things about Mortal Engines+FS+Alt right mesh ups (Enioch's question "What the hell does Hester Shaw have to do with white female radicalization, Shivans, the GTVA and the UGSF?" answer is something to do with Hester killing people)? I'm sure it's not on this.

Look, this thread is about the movie.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you want to do a crazy crossover fanfiction, feel free to make a thread in the Arts & Talents folder.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
If you want to do a crazy crossover fanfiction, feel free to make a thread in the Arts & Talents folder.
I found it. Thanks for that. I need it.

Now back to the Mortal Engines movie itself. It was a coincidence that the leads, Robert Sheehan and Hera Hilmar, playing Tom and Hester respectively, were born the same year as me.

We have no firm details but given the characters are being played by Hera Hilmar and Rob Sheehan born who each were born in 1988 (making them each 29 ish) it's unlikely they are playing 15 year olds. Stranger things have happened in television and movies though as quite famously Gabrielle Carteris was aged 29 when she played 16 year old Andrea Zuckerman in Beverly Hills 90210!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:55:50 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template