Author Topic: How they might destroy the Gargant  (Read 41623 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: How they might destroy the Gargant
To take over a shivan cap ship... easy as pie!
Send in the Pyros!
Prepare for Descent...
 :lol:
But anyways, if anybody noticed, does the Gargant have the same stabilizer subsystems that the Gigas has?  You might want to try nuking those with a few hundred bombers and see what happens.  Also, I believe there are probably several reactor subsystems, if it is similar to the Gigas...a few Pyros later, all the Shivans scream as they hear:
Self-Destruct Sequence Activated!
 :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, I've made the point that GTVA weaponry has gotten considerably better since Hallfight, if the fighting aboard the Iceni is to be taken as an indication. Yes, the NTF crewers died in the thousands according to that Vasudan marine, but he also noted a significant number of Shivan bodies. Figuring even 1 in 10 was a dead Shivan, and most of the Iceni crew would have had sidearms (if they had anything at all!) GTVA handheld weapons have gotten considerably more deadly since the Great War, and that's only by FS2.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

The only major Shivan capture that is known about is the Taranis (I consider the dragon and maras not major)
Capturing a cain class cruiser is completely different than capturing a Sathanas.

yeah I'll give you that.... and then they never even had time to go inside the Taranis, the Lucifer arrived too quickly. The only known boarded ship was the "hallfight transport" (unless you count the Nyarlathotep), and that didn't go so well....

But again we've got better weapons now... and a little more experience fighting the Shivans. It might just work.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

But anyways, if anybody noticed, does the Gargant have the same stabilizer subsystems that the Gigas has?  You might want to try nuking those with a few hundred bombers and see what happens.  Also, I believe there are probably several reactor subsystems, if it is similar to the Gigas...a few Pyros later, all the Shivans scream as they hear:
The Gargant doesn't have anything like that, it doesn't even have an engine subsystem for you to disable it.
The strongest bombers do just above 0 damage to a turret, and that was before the new armour code was added. With the strongest Shivan armour they would be doing even less damage to it.

I designed this ship to be invulnerable remember :D

Offline CaptJosh

Sure, from the outside. The Pyro GX would go inside and kill the ship from the inside out.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I designed this ship to be invulnerable remember :D

www.freespace2.com!

~+k! (Probably with lead weights...)

A Feddie Story

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I could put a self destruct trigger or a nova trigger in for cheaters. If the Gargant is destroyed then it takes you with it :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, I remember you were going to do that...

A Feddie Story

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
It won't take you if you'll be invicible. :D
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Ok I know its stupid to ask, but I want to ask anyway: if the Gargant's invincible.... how do we get rid of it?
Maybe you are planning an inside-mission? Fly through the Gargant's inside? :eek2:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
Guys...Gargant will be in Chapter 3, i think GTVA will have something for him. ;7
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Maybe you are planning an inside-mission? Fly through the Gargant's inside? :eek2:
I tried an interior model once, the AI bounces off the walls too much and ends up killing itself :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Woomeister
I could put a self destruct trigger or a nova trigger in for cheaters. If the Gargant is destroyed then it takes you with it  :p

ngtm1r
www.freespace2.com!

~+k! (Probably with lead weights...)

Make it a make-ship-vulnerable and delay 0 nova trigger  :drevil:  ;7

Woomeister
I tried an interior model once, the AI bounces off the walls too much and ends up killing itself  :D

Fix the AI and give me a Pyro (preferrably a Magnum or one from the Pyromania MOD  ;7 ).  We'll see how the Shivans take an Earthshaker for breakfast..."lots of energy, guys!  Help yourselves!  Heh, heh."  "Ooo!  Feisty, eh?  Let's try some Omega BBQ for lunch!"  "Want more?  What a voracious appetite!  Have an irresistable Blackshark for Dinner!  Nice meeting you, BTW!  Ta-ta!"   :drevil:  :lol:  :drevil:  Ooo, and don't forget the Mass Driver straight to the Shivan body beam-cannon.  " 'S'matter?  Subystem malfunction, mate?  Sucks to be you!  Here, juggle these Impact Mortars for me."
Of course, eventually, they'd probably gang up on you and you'd have three of them latched onto your ship...that'd make a good cutscene.  They rip the canopy off, and probably impale you on the wall because they're so ticked they don't want to kill you quickly.  This'd make a good Descent-Freespace crossover...wouldn't be realistic, but boy, it'd be fun!!
On the more serious side, if you could fix the AI you could take the Pyro setup, make lots of radical changes, and say it was a new prototype GTVA deep-insertion craft...

OK, here's a thought:  The GTVA in FS2 was worried that the Sathanas' subspace-distortion weapon could be used against ship reactors because the reactors are sort of similar to the sun...the Meson was used to collapse the Capella subspace node...22=4...Let's see if we can modify the Meson, have an automated transport jump it in beside the Gargant, and let it rip.  :eek:  Of course, you'd probably want to test the effects of the bombs as you were developing them on some old Great War relics...maybe use smaller bombs that wouldn't blow up the reactors, just cause a surge, so you could rig a ton of sensors and see what the effects are, and then finally test the real one on an old Orion or something.  And who knows, maybe you'd need more than one bomb, and of course you'd want a backup.

On another tangent, try to resurrect ETAK, see how the Shivans communicate, and slip some counterfit orders in...on second thought, not such a great idea...probably would get a strange message back translated: "hahahahahaha nice try boogers"  :no:  Bad idea.  :shaking:

PS If anyone reading this has never played Descent (1, 2, or 3), go download the demos (if you look there's ones for D1 and D2 as well as 2 demos for D3, but D1&2 are DOS and take alot of work to set up.)  If you like them enough, you can usually find them on Ebay or something (yardsales, etc.)
Also, there are a ton of MODs... I know there's a .zip version that has a ton of levels (hundreds)...There's one for D1 as well as D2, and there are also scores of levels & MODs (such as Pyromania  :cool: ) for D3.

PPS
Qwer
Guys...Gargant will be in Chapter 3, i think GTVA will have something for him.  ;7
Sure... make it a Colossus Mark 2 Sport FX Turbo ... Hmm, what happened last time we tried this?  Hopefully the GTVA will be smart enough not to underestimate the Shivans... if you want to beat them, don't think overkill, don't think mega overkill, think giga overkill.   :nervous:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:36:25 am by jr2 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I tried an interior model once, the AI bounces off the walls too much and ends up killing itself :D
Did you use attack paths to make sure the AI travelled the proper path to... whatever they were gonna destroy in the Gargant's interior?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Mine was a series of rooms the AI had to traverse using waypoints, there was combat in the larger sections and that's were they would ram the outer areas. These sections were quite large but the AI was too stupid to fight in the confined space.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mine was a series of rooms the AI had to traverse using waypoints, there was combat in the larger sections and that's were they would ram the outer areas. These sections were quite large but the AI was too stupid to fight in the confined space.

You know, I wonder if you can hack that with the new SCP stuff.  If you make a bunch of invisible hostile ships and tell the AI to ignore-new them, they won't attack but they should also stay away from them.  Just put a few on the boundaries of the area. :)

Of course, a better solution would be to update the AI, but I don't have the faintest idea of how to start on that. :D

Mine was a series of rooms the AI had to travers using waypoints, there was comabat in the larger sections and that's were they would ram the outer areas. These sections were quite large but the AI was too stupid to fight in the confined space.

Maybe you could just copy and paste the Descent AI and use that. :p

Offline starfox

What about just ditching the fighters, and filling the ceilings with defensive emplacements (turrets, missile launchers, beam cannons and all sort of Shivan-sponsored fun.....
 :lol:

Quite a tricky mission, that would be...
Kinda like mission in Star Trek: Invasion (Playstation), where you are supposed to enter the B0rg Cube and recover a transwarp coil (or something like that). After that, it was controller-shattering trip back to the surface, when the cube explodes behind you...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

who here thiks it could work? :shaking:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

It just would take too many people to board. Think. An Orion class-destroyer has.... what 3,000 crew?
The Colossus had about 30,000. It was six klicks long. Im just gonna guess on the Gigas's length... at around 10 klicks. That probably means about 50 or  60,000 crew...all Shivans. When you consider how much more adept a Shivan is in zero-G, that means you'd want to outnumber them. So we're figuring 80,000 people to just attack the Gigas. And it might fail at that. Then we'd need to learn how to operate Shivan Tech, which we have almost zilch experience at. So....it just doesn't seem pratical.