Author Topic: Terran Marines  (Read 8972 times)

Uh, did anyone look at the second pic on that site?

The body of the weapon is similar but not the same. The sides are different and the front has a different barrel and rear end.

Isn't that a different gun? I thought he was the heavy weapons support guy of the squad. Pretty sure one of the guys in the video had different gear.

Yeah I just checked the video, there's four marines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdov-W9VQyc. Three of them have a gun strapped to one arm, the fourth is as above and also has the gun on her arm but she needs both hands to operate it. She's the vasquez wanna be who says "DIEEEE" before she's thrown into a wall, or whatever happens to her.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:57:59 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
rotate that model for some ... say30 degrees and arrange the wider end to be parallel to the pic?

akalabeth, raise the brightness on your monitor. this gun also has a handle. and it behaves exactly the same as the vasquez wannabe
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

rotate that model for some ... say30 degrees and arrange the wider end to be parallel to the pic?

akalabeth, raise the brightness on your monitor. this gun also has a handle. and it behaves exactly the same as the vasquez wannabe

Oh well it's the same gun. Didn't look at the first pic. This is the heavy weapon gun, not the standard issue one. The regular marines all have something a lot smaller.

So it's an ML-16 with a shorter barrel and perhaps a battery mounted in the rear then...

And why do they still use bullets? Are they some kind of light slugs (mini-Maxim)?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

So it's an ML-16 with a shorter barrel and perhaps a battery mounted in the rear then...

To me it looks like [V] took the ML-16 and turned it around so that the back end serves as the barrel, and then they added some other details, namely a cover to make it look different.

And why do they still use bullets? Are they some kind of light slugs (mini-Maxim)?[/color]

The whining sound you hear when they open fire could be coming from it that big gun that the woman marine holds. I'd associate that with an autoloader or something for a minigun (that said, I know nothing much about real guns). After she kills the big Shivan, the whining sound stops, so maybe it is generated by that gun?

But I've just been watching the cutscene again. Does the ML-16 type weapon have a slow or high rate of fire? When you see the woman marine firing her gun before she shouts 'DIEEEE!', you can see the barrel firing at a slow rate.

IIRC I think someone on this forum in an earlier thread said the Shivan that exploded was possibly hit by an AP grenade. Maybe the weapon she has has a sort of underslung grenade launcher? That may make some sense... But the expoding Shivan could be explained by a natural self-destruct mechanism Shivans might have for use when they die.

Maybe it's a big shotgun? The short-barrelled weapons the other marines use seem to of the be of the rapid firing machine gun type. Using a shotgun would make sense if you assume that a ship's hull could be easily penetrated by solid slug type ammo (Shivan fighter hulls, at least, aren't that strong, not sure about freighters). But then, not all the marines are using the same weapon.

Just some random thoughts.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The weapon the woman had, to me, appeared to be some sort of squad support grenade launcher, because the Shivan took a hit and there was an explosion, hence my previous comment it apparently took an AP grenade to outright stop one. (Though, to be fair, the other weapons seem to have done a decent job given enough time.)

I've made the observation before that the marines probably went in with less-powerful-than-normal weapons because ships are not designed to have firefights inside their hulls, and you could riddle something of interest with bullets, making it much less interesting. I imagine this would no longer be the case.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline eliex

The ship design should have included posting like 15 robot-controlled turrets around the docking points of a ship, and then there goes the question of a successful boarding team - unless they chuck a very powerful grenade or something like that.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've always wondered exactly how Command handled that boarding situation after the initial squad got taken out.  Did they simply send a significantly larger number of troops, or was there some sort of robotic alternative they could have turned to?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I think 50 or so heavily armored marines with rocket launcher equivalents would have been considerably more effective.

Offline eliex

I've always wondered exactly how Command handled that boarding situation after the initial squad got taken out.  Did they simply send a significantly larger number of troops, or was there some sort of robotic alternative they could have turned to?

Command brief usually says that the ship-that-is-going-to-be-boarded only contains skeleton crew.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Isn't that from INFR1, elie?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well, it's also in the shipyard 'Relentless' mission.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
But then in Sol: A History the Terra can be captured by the Jovians, and I'm sure it had more than just a skeleton crew on it. Of course, it's non-canon.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
If you think about it, it's certainly possible to capture nearly anything, it's just a risk / benefit analysis, and it would take far more than 15 minutes in real life.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If you think about it, it's certainly possible to capture nearly anything, it's just a risk / benefit analysis, and it would take far more than 15 minutes in real life.

Depends. From the interior appearances of FS warships (we have a few :v: renders), they appear to be relatively open in their main corridors and have little available cover. If you take the thing at all, you had better do it fast, because the interior layout means given just a little time to prepare the defenders could easily make the approach to any critical area a killing zone.

Given the decentralized nature of the ship, though, you must seize at least four areas to control it, assuming they are like modern warships (if they are like, say, late WW2 ships, the number actually goes up). Bridge, for controlling the ship's propulsion and course. CIC, for control of weapons and sensors. Engineering spaces (this could be multiple areas, and probably is on larger ships) for ensuring the safety of the ship's propulsion. And lastly, main magazine (or magazines!) so that nobody detonates it and kills you all. You do not need to sweep the whole ship clean of opposition to control the key functions, so you could take the key areas and then jump it somewhere safer to finish removing the crew.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
IMO if the engine crew don't agree with the bridge crew they'd be able to manually turn off or otherwise lock the engines. Or else it'd be way too easy to seize control of the bridge of the GTVSXJ Super-Invincible-Ra-Atum and crash it into a sun or something.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Isn't the ML16 listed as a 'sidearm' in the weapons table iirc?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah, so is the Subach.
I've always taken it to mean "standard issue weapon everyone gets"
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Querry:

1. If it's Zero-G, shouldn't the shivans be PUSHED by the bullets/hits of the marines, given that they don't have mag boots and like gliding in the air?

2. If a shivan is advancing, wouldn't a smart move be to disenagage the mag boots? Your machinegun fire would be like thrust, pushing you away while still pummeling the fugly alien.

Well, if they ARE carrying ML-16, which are lasers, they would not be pushed back. Photons have IIRC no mass AT ALL. No mass, no kinetic impact. And AFAIK no recoil?
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Photons do have momentum and energy though.