Author Topic: Soo the ending ? (warning: ending spoilers!)  (Read 15167 times)

Offline Doldrum

Re: Soo the ending ? (warning: ending spoilers!)
I want to say first: AWESOME!!!!  I did a little dork squee when I found out about this game and I am thoroughly entertained by it.  I was genuinely saddened by the ending especially after I learned that I took the cowards way out and jumped with the Prometheus...Good bit of storytelling you have, I salute you sirs!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
We all know Lizard was a Cylon, having two would be too much. :P

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The original ending without jumping with Prometheus was very blunt and unambiguous about you dying in a horrible manner.

Then Mass Effect 3 came out, and ironically we decided LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE worked better for our game than theirs.

I'm *really* surprised no one has called us out on what the ending is an homage of...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
The only difference being that all our possible ending choices are actually satisfying one way or another. :P

Offline KaraBulut

• Friendly old school gamer
The original ending without jumping with Prometheus was very blunt and unambiguous about you dying in a horrible manner.

Then Mass Effect 3 came out, and ironically we decided LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE worked better for our game than theirs.

I'm *really* surprised no one has called us out on what the ending is an homage of...

Well the endings are satisfying

-You help all the civillians escape and try to flee the cylons with a few vipers left, ultimatley doomed but also relieved knowing you saved lives (And let us face it stranger things have happened in BSG show than pilots in the void surviving)

-Or escape and meet with Galactica

Unkile Mass Effect 3 where the endings are actually just a single ending with diffrent colours that does no sense whatsoever.
I haven't watched the updated endings, but the game had been long deleted from my hard drive by now.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

Actually I did !

Since we have at least two more we've shown you pictures of, you can start fighting amongst yourselves about which one we're using for R2. :D
LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Madcat

Well, I did get a somewhat warm and fuzzy feeling from it (warm from nostalgia, not warm like an approaching supernova... :D )

But why should we call you out on something if it's well done?
FWIW, I also noticed that the basestars did not launch hundreds of raiders at once, but since the battles look awesome and busy and, most importantly, the game is fun to play, that's a plus in my book. Even more since I'm getting into single digit framerates territory in M6 already...

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
FWIW, I also noticed that the basestars did not launch hundreds of raiders at once, but since the battles look awesome and busy and, most importantly, the game is fun to play, that's a plus in my book. Even more since I'm getting into single digit framerates territory in M6 already...

Even ignoring software and hardware limits and balancing issues, a battle involving hundreds of ships would make targeting an absolute mess.  You'd almost have to limit targeting to ships that are directly relevant to the player's objective, turning the rest of the ships into background elements.

I'm just not sure how one could pull off that kind of battle in this type of game.  Such is more the realm of strategy games and TV shows.

Offline KaraBulut

• Friendly old school gamer
Just like that part in the Btrl demo where you could save the Captain and that other dude but it's freaking impossble due to missle spam.

I'm glad to hear someone tried that. :D I spent ages on that alternate route through the mission. :)

So was it possible to save them ?

Assuming voice acting and other stuff you'd end up with 2 versions of the game with 2 diffrent flight captains, nightmare for voice acting and Btrl was not going to be an RPG I assume :D

But you guys definetly should work on that minor things make a difference thing. It gives you a greater sense of achievement, for example the pilot you save in the bonus mission may have impacted the story in a minor way in the next mission rather than just another paragraph of text in the debriefing screen (which is still awesome imo)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically I FREDded an alternate route through that mission but I never really play tested it to see if it was actually do-able. Which is a pity cause if you did manage to save the day, rescue Gauntlet and Slingshot but still manage to prevent the Cylons destroying the Monarch, you got this debrief,

Pilot... what the frak was that?  Well, to me, it looked like... insubordination! What was the cause, stupidity? You grew three tylinium pairs--what?! Your orders were to stay with the Monarch, but you followed me for whatever gods damn reason. For frak sake, were you bored?

At the moment, the only reason your ass isn't parked in the brig is because the situation somehow suited your 'choice'. Strangely enough, you risked the lives of everyone, and it was a miracle that the gods protected us all from your frakked up WHIM!

You know, I think it's best to take your confused ass off the active flight rota for... let's see, the next week. Yeah. Maybe some alone time, and thorough meditation on the realities of war, will help you remember to FOLLOW YOUR FRAKKING ORDERS.

The BtRL team loved the irony that you actually get punished for saving Gauntlet's life because there is no way she could know that she was scripted to die. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Even ignoring software and hardware limits and balancing issues, a battle involving hundreds of ships would make targeting an absolute mess.  You'd almost have to limit targeting to ships that are directly relevant to the player's objective, turning the rest of the ships into background elements.

I'm just not sure how one could pull off that kind of battle in this type of game.  Such is more the realm of strategy games and TV shows.

The key to targeting in that kind of battle:

1. Target under reticule. Always be able to target the ship you're looking at.
2. Good hotkeys for mission-critical targets (mission designer's job to do this, but definitely doable).

Honestly, the biggest bottlenecks to big battles are:
1. The engine's rendering not scaling well to lots of stuff on screen, especially if you include translucent missile trails.
2. Reaching the limits for the number of ships and weapon projectiles on screen.
3. Calculating collisions for everything in #2. This has come a long way, but it's still a quadratically scaling problem at heart, made worse by high-fidelity model geometry.

And the truth is, beyond a certain point, all of those extra ships present increasingly diminishing returns. I've made a few missions with 50 or a 100 fighters to a side, but they don't really feel THAT much bigger than ones with 25 to a side, especially after the initial clash.

Really, what makes a battle feel big isn't the number of ships involved as much as the density of the fight.

Urgh, sorry for the rambling. Can you tell this is something I've put a lot of thought and experimentation into over the years? :p

Offline Tooner

Since no one else is saying it... I adored the Butch and Sundance homage.  Well done.

Can somebody let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's a bug?

Spoiler:
At the end of M6, when time comes to land on the Prometheus deck, I can't touch down. I can make contact with the deck just fine, and I'm sure I'm in the right area, but the skids aren't locking and eventually it jumps around me. It's happened twice now, and I was very careful the second time to be right in the center of the landing strip, not moving too fast, etc.

I've had the same problem a couple of times, are you sure you're actually touching the deck?  Use down jets to push you to the deck.  Also, it's got a very small landing surface, make sure you're aiming for the right deck.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541812752906410632/DDF3EDCC004CA973C33BC91F3F500D7303AB0DAA/

There's the clear landing strip dead center, which is where I usually try to land, but if there's a sweet spot there I haven't hit it. Then there's the smaller platform on the left where I've attempted to land twice with no joy.
Then there's the underside of all this, but it's pretty dark and doubtful to be correct.

If it matters, at the point where it comes time to land, the Prometheus is still moving forward.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The landing strip should work (that's the right place to touch down). The Prometheus moving forward shouldn't be a problem.

You should be able to land once the countdown starts.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Both endings were sad! Very fitting with the tone of the miniseries.

When I jumped with the Prometheus, a Raider I was trying to ignore followed me into the hangar and bounced around a bit. I hope it didn't make the jump too!
<><

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Both endings were sad! Very fitting with the tone of the miniseries.

When I jumped with the Prometheus, a Raider I was trying to ignore followed me into the hangar and bounced around a bit. I hope it didn't make the jump too!
I did a glide in so I could turn and toast any chasers myself.

but I landed within 1 second of jumping, so it said I landed as it jumped, leaving me in the void for a moment before the ending for getting out of dodge played. little bug with the scripts I guess.

And I rationalized it as someone's got to protect the promethesus when it jumps, we don't KNOW if we're jumping into a mess or safety of the fleet.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I stayed behind. I actually did not want to, I defended the ship as long to the last minute and simply miscalculated the time I needed to land, when I had a good angle, the ship jumped.

It felt wonderful :-) 
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline lavish

I stayed behind. I actually did not want to, I defended the ship as long to the last minute and simply miscalculated the time I needed to land, when I had a good angle, the ship jumped.

It felt wonderful :-)
Hehe, I had extra company just when the prometheus informed that they are charging their FTL. I managed to get rid of the raider and charged towards prometheus. During the last few seconds I entered the hangar by flying fast along arch-like track and tried to slow down. My speed was too fast, I hit the deck and bounce a bit upwards. Prometheus jumps in that second. I'm left, practically without ammunition, in the dark empty space filled with cylons.

Excellent, sad, dramatic, simple. Welcome to the "real world". Not every ending can be happy. And doing it right just in time is only easy in the movies. I liked it. :)