Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305152 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Doom Patrol is good.
The only thing is that I still have to read Grant Morrison's run, so I can't tell how much of his stuff is in there and how much it's just normal Doom Patrol weirdness.

Star vs The Forces of Evil

Kind of impressive to see Star getting more and more focused as the series went on, quite a difference from the flighty teenager with no attention span of the start of the series, quite a contrast with Eclipsa's womanchild tendencies and general absent-mindedness.

She-Ra and The Princesses of Power

The second season part one obviously concludes in a cliffhanger. I like that Catra is so used to be under the petty Shadow Weaver that she completely misreads the more pragmatic Hordak at basically every turn. Also the throwback episode was incredibly funny.

Finally Ducktales is getting a regular schedule, what is it with cartoons and weird schedules?

I dug around for some Transformers (Yes, I'm in a bit of a nostalgia bender) stuff and went to Transfomers Animated and Cyberverse, I didn't have the courage to go and dig up Generation 1 and Beast Wars (which was known as "Biocombat Transformers" over here and had a completely different intro), the former because my experiences with 80s western cartoons I liked is that they very much don't hold up most of the time the latter because boy that early CGI animation is stupidly ugly.
I liked that in Animated the main cast was a bunch of underdogs, from Optimus Prime being someone that had been reassigned to antarctica to the others being either ordinary workers or failures of some kind that have to somehow deal with more militarized enemies, a pity the finale is a bit rushed. Cyberverse seems fine enough and I like all the backstory bits including Optimus Prime originally being a file clerk and Megatron originally being someone who wanted to make Cybertron Great Again. I'm not sure about starting Transformers Prime since: 1- I don't like the Bay-esque look; 2- It's apparently in continuity with two of the videogames that aren't available for purchase in steam anymore and that bugs me to no ened even if they aren't strictly necessary.
I also discovered several strange things, like that a weird transfomer I had when I was little wasn't a knockoff like I believed but a character from a series I never saw called "Brainstorm" and that apparently I was spared a childhood trauma by never having seen the movie (of which I was only vaguely aware of, I barely connected that the recurring catchy 80s nerd rock song also known as The Touch was from that one).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You've never seen it?

"Bah weep grana weep ninny bon!" Will make no sense then?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
You've never seen it?

"Bah weep grana weep ninny bon!" Will make no sense then?
The universal greeting thing, right?
I saw the Hbomberguy video so I know of it now but if you asked me a few weeks ago the answer would have been a resounding no. Do keep in mind that I saw original g1 half in reruns when I was in kindergarten/early elementary school and half with the G2 re-release, I live in a small island without a cinema and I'm not even sure if the movie made it to TV here before the late 90s when TFs were already old news.
I also saw one of the headmasters/godmasters anime (the one with the human kids with the bracelets), but only now thanks to youtube and TVtropes I'm starting to make sense of that and a lot of other things including completely different names for several Transformers (I had Ratchet but here he was called something like "Doc" IIRC). I also remember having a comic book in which "Commander" (here in Italy they started calling him Optimus Prime only with Michael Bay I think) was dead and Grimlock (here called "Tyran" or something like that) was the leader (I got surprised by his Transformers Animated  incarnation because I only remember that particular comic book incarnation who was much more articulated, if still an arrogant idiot, and never actually remembered any G1 episodes with him in it so I completely ignored most incarnations used caveman speak) but that was much later and it was basically a bunch of old returned unsold comics glue-bound in a big book in a surprise bag or something like that (there were even Justice League International stories since it was the same publisher, not Marvel, that had the TF publisher here apparently).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:59:35 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I saw Detective Pikachu a couple days ago, and loved it. It's a good video game movie, and if you are interested at all, it's worth it.

(Maybe not great from a story perspective, but it's a good movie anyway.)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I started Transformers Prime (only the first part of the 5 episode pilot).
The robots look fine, in the end they don’t look too busy like the Bay movie equivalents like I feared even if there is some vague resemblance. Human characters look a bit cheap though, the one human you see in Cyberverse fit much better.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
While everyone was worrying about GoT Star vs The Forces of Evil has ended too. I get the feeling that Daron Nefcy might have a very dark sense of humor considering the background gags going on with the catastrophic final consequences of the events (well, her original vision for Pony Head included bloody entrails according to TVtropes so it wouldn't be surprising in the least), yet at the same time it's a sort of happy ending.
Spoiler:
It's quite remarkable how in the end Toffee, the main villain of the first two seasons, ended up being sort of right, or at least the more mature Star of the last seasons ended up largely agreeing with him in that the prejudiced mewmans as long as they had magic could never really be trusted to cohexist with monsters peacefully. I wonder how much of this was planned and how much was the authors getting tired of cramming as many silly fish-out-of-water gags as they could in each episode and gradually retooling the show into a weird high fantasy show with some pretty heavy stakes if still with quite a bit of humor.

Just finished watching the last few subbed episodes of Space Battleship Yamato 2202

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the middle of the series was a little weak, right around when
Spoiler:
The Yamato had to transfer the survivors from the 11th planet to the Garmillas ships.

However, the second half and especially the conclusion were excellent. No major complaints.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Watching Sarazanmai week-to-week, which is pretty much peak Ikuhara. In other words, it's fantastic.

Well, I've soaked on quite a few series since I last posted here.

Star Trek: Discovery : I've gotten halfway through the second season, and I think it's alright, Pike works as the new captain, and I'm mildly curious as to what the story behind the
Spoiler:
religious-overtoned Red Angels. Although I still don't really care about the Spock-family dynamics & stuff.

The Good Place : One of the best surprises I've had this year, I like pretty everything in this series, be it their unique take on the Afterlife, the characters, the humour or the plot, I've plowed through all of it within a month.
Would strongly recommend.

Brooklin 99 : Another good find, I'm about halfway through the series & while it can get repetitive at times, it tends to be funny enough to keep it going. And Terry Crews is having way too much fun on this series.
Nowhere near as good as The Good Place, but I'd say still worth checking out.

3 Below - Tales of Arcadia + Trollhunters - Tales of Arcadia: 3 Below especially was a lot of fun, though Trollhunters had some really nice moments. Both series take place in the same town, execpt Trollhunters is a fantasy epic adventure while 3 Below is a science-fiction fish-out-of-water adventure. They're funny, they're pretty, they've got some nice characters, nice fight scenes, although it felt pretty weak plot-wise.
Worth checking out.

Nightflyers : A science fiction story about people traveling to the edge of the Solar System to make first contact with an alien species. It's apparently based on something written by G.R.R.Martin, and the I thought that the first season was overall pretty good, so SyFy decided to cancel it... (apparently it received rather mixed ratings from the general public).
If not for the cancellation, I would have recommended it. It's not Blindsight for sure, but it had some intriguing mysteries.

Anime-wise, I don't recall watching anything that really stood out. Well I haven't really watched much of anything to be honest, aside from one absurd comedy series Saikik, which was OK but didn't have much staying power with me.
I had planned on catching up on Attack on Titan once they cleared the rebellion arc and gotten to the *glorious* second expedition to Eren-district, but since I wasn't sure whether they had gotten to that point, I've been post-poning it.
EDIT - According to Wikipedia, they've gotten there this month, with the final episode airing in a few days, so I guess I've got some catching up to do :)

Offline Luis Dias

watching fullmetal alchemist because they told me so.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The lesson therein is don't bring loved ones back.

OPM season 2 is sloooooooow.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
It's out?! Excuse me while I choke on my excitement.

Also, the original Gundam is ****ing awesome!

Offline Luis Dias

don't.... don't get excited about opm 2. just ... don't.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
don't.... don't get excited about opm 2. just ... don't.

Lots of "pacing" but some good fights.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Also, the original Gundam is ****ing awesome!

First watch?  Highly recommend going straight into Zeta Gundam right after.

I used to go chronological, but Zeta really is the sequel to Gundam.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
First watch yes, I'm loving Char already, the guy is just one cool cat. I'm amazed I haven't given it a watch before now.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Yep, they keep cloning the guy for a reason.  None of the clones are quite as good, though.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just finished watching the last few subbed episodes of Space Battleship Yamato 2202

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the middle of the series was a little weak, right around when
Spoiler:
The Yamato had to transfer the survivors from the 11th planet to the Garmillas ships.

However, the second half and especially the conclusion were excellent. No major complaints.

Where you watch that?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished Transformers Prime.
Boy, you can tell that the third (and last) season was derailed by Hasbro to sell a new toyline.
I'm a bit mixed about this one, I liked Animated better.
If anything its attempts to ape the movies make it a little less charming and having three tagalong kids instead of one is not necessarily a good move especially since at least one of them seems to completely lack any sense of self-preservation. I get it: kids are stupid but goddamn they usually are not THAT stupid.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, my OCD tendencies have kept me watching Transformers Robots in Disguise and after one season it doesn't get better then I look at the credits and I see the name of Adam Beechen, the same guy that killed off Nyssa Al Ghul in the most unceremoniously way possible and made Cassandra Cain evil while writing the One Year Later Robin story arc.
Cannot say I'm surprised.
Dear god this series is really mediocre, it's not even a matter of target audience because Animated and Cyberverse are also aimed at a younger target audience than Prime and are leaps and bounds better than this. I also discovered that the Cyberverse crew has a lot of people from the 2003 TMNT reboot which is not surprising either though in a positive way.

In theory it's supposed to be a sequel to Prime, but the series does almost nothing with the premise of a renewd cybertron which is only glimpsed on the pilot episode, instead it's monster of the week all the way. Also characters way too often do stupid stuff just because they need to have a plot of some kind, for example in the first episodes of the second season they have frigging Optimus Prime being too proud to admit he needs to rest so the away team he's with can get into trouble saving his bacon, which is incredibly jarring considering that in the prequel series Optimus was humble to a fault.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:52:12 pm by Det. Bullock »