Author Topic: Game attempts to attract controversy; attracts controversy  (Read 31544 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Game attempts to attract controversy; attracts controversy
One more video. Does Hatred go further than Sweettooth's story cutscenes in the newest Twisted Metal I wonder?

I wouldn't watch this one if you're at all squeamish.

Whether it makes any difference that the player is controlling the action vs. a cinematic I don't know. But I would have thought it simply matters what is happening on the screen. And in fact such cutscenes are usually more detailed than gameplay footage.

It's interesting to look up actually. Here's Twisted Metal. They go into some detail, so you don't actually need to watch that video if you want to understand why the rating was given. Very informative. Twisted Metal received an M:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=31949

There does not seem to be a page for Hatred, at least, I cannot find one. I think if they do produce one later, it will be interesting to compare it to the Twisted Metal summary.

I wonder if Twisted Metal managed to make it over here to Europe with the cutscenes in the game. The previous game, Twisted Metal Black, they had to take the cutscenes out for the European release, but they remained in America.

Awww, no such detail. In fact, it makes it seem pretty unremarkable.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=6484&Title=Twisted%20Metal%3A%20Black&searchkeyword=twisted%20metal%20black

Maybe we won't get the detail we got for Twisted Metal with Hatred. I've never looked up one of these before now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:24:57 pm by Lorric »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I obviously can't be truly privy to the ESRB's formulation for what constitutes AO, but there's a significant difference between a cutscene and something a player is expected to do, and further between the presentation of the material in the game.  From the sounds of it, Hatred is glorifying attempted genocide and doing so deliberately.  That puts it on a different level than merely gorey.

Hatred seems to be rather abusing the term 'genocide' to mean 'killing everyone', at least from what I can see.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't recall the exact denomination. I heard this story in a recent google talk (weeks ago) from a star wars buff. It was a very entertaining talk about the making of the first movie.

It was originally rated G, and Lucas added the shot of the bloody arm in the bar in Mos Eisley to bring it up to PG.

As I recall, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was the reason for the creation of the PG-13 category.

Offline Luis Dias

This is where I got that anecdote, and yes, he mentions PG rating, not PG 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naeRobXFO74  @40:20 onward (aint the transcript feature (+ ctrl F) of youtube a charm)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is where I got that anecdote, and yes, he mentions PG rating, not PG 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naeRobXFO74  @40:20 onward (aint the transcript feature (+ ctrl F) of youtube a charm)

Interesting.  Upon further research, this article seems to confirm the YouTube video.