Author Topic: Thank you, for Blue Planet. (Spoilers)  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Venox

Thank you, for Blue Planet. (Spoilers)
Hello, long time lurker here.

I've always been a fan of the FreeSpace SCP since I first discovered everyone a few years ago. I've owned FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2 (original retail cd's from 1999 no less!) and the series has always held a special place in that gamer-heart of mine. One day, oddly enough, while browsing a Wikipedia article on FreeSpace 2 did I come across the existence of the SCP itself. Thus, I was blown away ever since by the amount of work everyone here on these forums puts forth everyday, making amazing models, and newer builds. However, I've never really tried any sort of user-made campaign in all the years I've lurked here. I've been strictly playing the original campaigns with mediavps. I honestly never put much thought into them... but, one day, I decided to try out Blue Planet, with the quote: "From our odyssey into Hell, we return with a gift: the Ancient technology to build a portal between Delta Serpentis and Sol. To restore the link to our blue planet. To return home after all these years." alluring me...

And boy, was I ever blown away. So, to you, Darius. I thank you! For the extremely beautiful experience that was Blue Planet, from the very introduction cutscene to the very depressing (in a good, storytelling way) ending. I had always loved the story of the FreeSpace saga, but always felt it was cut short. But this, I honestly feel that this is a worthy continuation of the highest degree. The amount of polish, attention to detail, and work that must have gone into this campaign is beyond anything I could've ever imagined could've been possible with FreeSpace Open, let alone FRED in general! I know it has been released for a long time now, but that appeared to be a blessing since my campaign was relatively bug-free. (Thank god I didn't get the ending bug where none of the 14th Battlegroup arrives at Sol and thus you're stuck alone with the UEFg Renjian...)

The story and the missions involved, truly captivated me in a way only the original FreeSpace campaign did. I've seen many custom missions involving the Lucifer, but only here, when I once again destroyed it over Delta Serpentis (beautiful skybox, by the way!) did I feel the same accomplishment as when I first destroyed it back in subspace in 1998. =)

While yes, Forced Entry and Preserving the Balance were amazing missions, providing spectacular eye-candy and audio... I found ...With Vast Seas and Ceremony to be my favorites. This isn't a criticism of the combat missions, mind you, but rather more praise for your kick-ass storytelling. I've never felt so proud to be a GTVA pilot before than in Ceremony! Granted, that position changed later...but, you get the point!

Anyhow, TL;DR, cool story bro, blah blah...I've never felt compelled to post, but now, I had to offer my support and thanks. To Darius, and his team now working on War in Heaven, I hope that another hand of support and praise will continue to make the upcoming campaign an even better experience than before. No demands asking when it'll be done here. Just another person eagerly awaiting to see where this story will lead us next.

P.S. General Battuta, I believe, is the author of the prose on the Blue Planet site, yes? If so, your writing skills are fantastic. Looking forward to anything else you could possibly write!

Offline Darius

Re: Thank you, for Blue Planet. (Spoilers)
Thanks for the praise. It's been a pleasure working on the campaign and its subsequent release, and if I had a bit more spare time, I'd sink most of my time into getting the sequel up and running in a timely manner. The voice-acted version should be finished soon, which enhances the quality of the campaign tenfold, in my opinion :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You have no idea how much of a difference the praise makes. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. (And if there are any other lurkers out there, please, feel free!)

Offline Venox

I was going to suggest that the only thing that could ever make BP even better was if it was voice-acted but, I didn't wanna seem pushy. Good to hear it's in the works, can't wait now! =)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's almost done. We are so tantalizingly close. (That's in terms of percent complete, mind; it could be another long while before that percent gets polished off.)

Offline -Norbert-

You certainly made a good choice for your first fan-made campaign ever. :lol:

Offline Vanion

Anyhow, TL;DR, cool story bro, blah blah...I've never felt compelled to post, but now, I had to offer my support and thanks. To Darius, and his team now working on War in Heaven, I hope that another hand of support and praise will continue to make the upcoming campaign an even better experience than before. No demands asking when it'll be done here. Just another person eagerly awaiting to see where this story will lead us next.

Yes, I felt exactly the same a few days earlier. So apparently, Darius and the WiH team bring out the best in us :-)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I was going to suggest that the only thing that could ever make BP even better was if it was voice-acted but, I didn't wanna seem pushy. Good to hear it's in the works, can't wait now! =)
If you want to see our progress in BP voice-acting, check this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=63738.0
You can also try to help with it by recording some of the lines and sending the samples to General Battuta.

Just got back into Freespace and Freespace 2 with the wonderful OPEN project. It's certainly a treat to re-experience these old classics with such a massive overhaul.

Not only that, but stellar fan campaigns like Transcend, Blue Planet, and Derelict have me really excited for the future of Freespace. While we may never get a FS3, I feel like as long as mods of this quality are produced, I don't feel like that would be so terrible.