I was shocked and appalled by the assassination
I thought the assassination was a good move
I loved the soundtrack at the end of Pawns
I really loved the soundtrack at the end of Pawns
I thought Delenda Est was too hard
I thought Delenda Est was just right
I love Admiral Steele
I want to kill Admiral Steele

Author Topic: The Massive War in Heaven Census (SPOILERS)  (Read 55501 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: The Massive War in Heaven Census (SPOILERS)
Spoiler:
I identify with the Alliance: They're the protagonists of nearly every campaign I've played, and they have some valid reasons for taking Sol. The war as it is is a terrible mistake.
I threatened the hostage in M05: I was biased because I already knew killing the hostage would make it easier
I killed the hostage in M05 See above.
I thought Darkest Hour was just right It was pretty easy to get all of the obvious objectives, on the third play through I even saved Beta.
I 'let' Xinny and Zero shoot me down: I charged ahead, and was shot down, so "let" is a misnomer.
I found the Simms conversation easy: It was like taking a test; the answers felt right.
I thought the Nyx dogfight was okay: I got killed the first time through trying to figure out the weapon dialog, but it wasn't impossibly hard
I understood the pointbuy system in Aristeia Names were ambiguous, but you can't really miss with a Bomber strike.
I thought the Vasudan logistics incident was an act of treachery: Even after being told to stop fire, the Nara continued, I was genuinely shocked. When the Elder was killed, and Laporte hit her breaking point, I wondered why: It was one person's life compared to ~1,000 that a Fed vessel took during a cease fire - much lower than assassinating a leader.

I felt bored in One Perfect Moment: I think I'll like it better with voice acting.
I thought the assassination was a good move: It's a good, smart tactic. If Admiral Steele decided to go to a meeting in an unarmed transport, and then change ships via a Hermes, and the Feds didn't blow him up, they would be stupid.

I loved the soundtrack at the end of Pawns
I thought Delenda Est was just right: I died right away; but I got more used to the Uriel the second time.
I love Admiral Steele Easily the most interesting character in WiH so far, Lopez comes second, and then Calder. Laporte is interesting in a monolithic, sinister kind of way, Simms feels the weakest to me; I'm not sure why.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Spoiler:
I thought the assassination was a good move: It's a good, smart tactic. If Admiral Steele decided to go to a meeting in an unarmed transport, and then change ships via a Hermes, and the Feds didn't blow him up, they would be stupid.
Spoiler:
The comparison is irrelevant. The Elders are not Admirals, they have no takings on military matters. What Steele did was cold-bloodly killing a civilian, not eliminating a military target.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Spoiler:
Or head of state, or member of senate. It was, at the very least, not remotely the worst thing that happened during the war.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Imagine that Stephen Hawking and the Dalai Lama went to negotiate with a terrorist group and the terrorists executed them. That's sort of the role the Elders play, and the sort of outrage the assassination would draw.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Imagine that Stephen Hawking and the Dalai Lama went to negotiate with a terrorist group and the terrorists executed them. That's sort of the role the Elders play, and the sort of outrage the assassination would draw.

And yet, it's still the logical thing for the Terrorists to do, especially if they were terrorists. In the name, they're striking terror. No one is safe.

Also, the Elders ARE political leaders. They have actual pull factor as politicians, and the death of a leader like that is part of this thing we call "Psychological Warfare" in a protracted campaign like the war for Sol.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Perhaps so, but that's a different argument than 'would a UEF pilot be outraged or not'.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Perhaps so, but that's a different argument than 'would a UEF pilot be outraged or not'.

I'm fairly certain that the assassination was aimed more at the populace of Sol than at the military. It's that kind of action that incenses the military, but terrifies civilians.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Spoiler:
Identified with the Federation

Used checkpoints, but, also couldn't figure out how to/was too slow/it didn't work the first time I tried(M1)

I'm pretty sure that I threatened the hostage the first time around, did the rest when playing through again.

Darkest hour felt just right.

Not really 'let', but I didn't keep replaying the mission when I died.

The Intervention was fine, the conversation -was- frustrating, but not in a 'didn't understand the mechanic' sense, just in the 'wish I was not in a ship so I could walk over and slap her' The dogfight was frustratingly hard, but that felt right in the context.

Half understood the call in menu, bomber strike and interceptors are pretty straight forward. The others, not so much. Don't know how that could be made clear without spoiling it though.

Accident, The Narayana fired before the Indus told them not to as I remember it. Don't see how there were any take backs after two holes get blown in the corvette.

Felt good in One Perfect Moment. Not so good when I went on amazon and bought the first four seasons of babylon 5.

Shocked and appalled at the assassination.

Really loved the soundtrack at the end of Pawns. And at everywhere else.

Delenda Est was just right. Had more problems not dying with the previous mission actually.

Love Steele... probably because I have a thing for Chiwetel Ejiofor. 
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Mars

• I have no originality

I'm fairly certain that the assassination was aimed more at the populace of Sol than at the military. It's that kind of action that incenses the military, but terrifies civilians.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure it was because the elder knew too much

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'm leaning towards more of Steele sabotaging Ubuntu-Vasudan relationship. Unless Steele is NGRI-sensitive...maybe he's...Shivan ambassador!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Spoiler:
Well, no; just consider the timing. The Elder was about to tell Laporte something very important. It's clear she has an idea of something the player knows nothing about.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Possibly it was just bad luck, though!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yeah, I didn't think the Tevs were listening in, but I think the fact that it is she who is slain  is probably purposeful.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well remember another Elder was going to go on the mission but she was ill, so Taudigani got swapped in.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Spoiler:
I identify with the Alliance - Not entirely true I identify with both sides, but when push comes to shove I'm backing the Alliance as humanity's safest haven.
I used a checkpoint at least once in the campaign - Several times to debeam Medea and save Torpedo Two.
I threatened the hostage in M05 - Unfortunately I didn't have any aspect seekers so the Gef bumrushed anyway.
I thought Darkest Hour was just right - Doesn't change the fact I died a lot. :)
I killed Xinny and Zero - After several retries no less, having been shot down quite unceremoniously I didn't stop until I could beat them on insane. Kudos to Fury's AI.
I found the Simms conversation easy - You get really good pointers in the briefing so it's simply a matter of acting whe the cue comes.
I thought the Nyx dogfight was okay - I probably should've voted for too hard since I died several times, but I don't want the campaign to become any easier, even if I only have one vote. :)
I understood the pointbuy system in Aristeia - Bomber strike = bomber strike, pretty self explanatory.
I thought the Vasudan logistics incident was an act of treachery - Indus joined in on pummeling the Arethusa. Nuff said.
I felt good in One Perfect Moment - Very good soundtrack choice, made me feel warm and fuzzy, particularly the part where Simms comments on Earth.
I was shocked and appalled by the assassination - On my first playthrough. Now however, with some facts from Conversations I think it was a well calculated and executed move on Steele's part. It's a good example of why the GTVA is the true be all end all fighting side in this war.
I loved the soundtrack at the end of Pawns - Not as much as I loved the Carthage's subspace shwaayyyeee and dramatic entrance track.
I thought Delenda Est was too hard - But then again I never play on anything lower than Hard as that's how FS is meant to be played. :P I did get a minor FPS drop too, reason #2 on my list for a GPU upgrade.
I love Admiral Steele - Imagine there is a sphere of Iron in space the size of Jupiter and every hundred thousand years an eagle flies past, it's wing briefly sweeping the edge. By the time the Eagle has eroded that sphere to nothing the amount of time passed in seconds won't have equalled one one billionth of Admiral Steele's awesome rating.

Offline Luis Dias

Gimme yo votes! I gave you 13, please don't screw it up by voting for two contradictory options.  :(

Can I love admiral Steele and have a desire to kill him?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Spoiler:
I thought Delenda Est was too hard - But then again I never play on anything lower than Hard as that's how FS is meant to be played. I did get a minor FPS drop too, reason #2 on my list for a GPU upgrade.

"Minor" drop?  Can I have your computer please?

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Spoiler:
I thought Delenda Est was too hard - But then again I never play on anything lower than Hard as that's how FS is meant to be played. I did get a minor FPS drop too, reason #2 on my list for a GPU upgrade.

"Minor" drop?  Can I have your computer please?

After I've tried Shogun 2 and melted the GPU in the process. :P

EDIT: Oh BTW how goes progress on the Tev BP? Have you got a forum or anything to peek at? IRC channel?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Private forum, technically public but generally small channel. :P

We're making progress, don't worry.

Gimme yo votes! I gave you 13, please don't screw it up by voting for two contradictory options.  :(

Can I love admiral Steele and have a desire to kill him?

I voted for both. I can't help but love him as a character, but after blowing up my elder and snatching revenge away from us at the last possible moment  :banghead: and then blowing up my entire battlegroup  :mad: I really want to take him down.