Author Topic: "Eternal Damage"  (Read 9131 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was plazing around with the Hell Repair Rate thingy and noticed something verz irritating.

Namely, that the damage effects persist even if the ship repairs itself. The sparks nad the smoke are still tehre. Even worse, once you get damaged AGAIN, more amage efects appear.

After 2-3 times you cant see your fighter from all the smoke.. :lol:

Someone should fix this.

Oh - It would be nice if htere was a 2D/3D shockwave checkbox or something... I hate the fact that the 3D one is foced on you in the media VP-s
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Someone should fix this.

Someone should stick it in Mantis.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
but i like the forever smoke...

Offline Kaine

maybe just a cap on the total amount of smoke/spark effects on any given ship, or when a damaged ship has been repaired, stop the smoke effects and most of the sparks, but leave a couple of spark effects - say the last 2 or 3 damage indicators started - in place. i reckon that'd be a good solution :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I was playing around with the Hell Repair Rate thingy

Yeah, it needs to be repaired. That place is a dump.  :P
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
on the topic of flaming ships....

if you burn a log, and it restores itself, does it keep burning?

and if you say that a ship is not a log, look at the erineyes.

(the ares is the GTT turkey btw)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If you repair the log and put it in space then the fire would go out due to no atmosphere. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
but theres no sound in space either. unless of course GTVA ships have atmosphere generators incase of cockpit breach  :lol:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
but theres no sound in space either. unless of course GTVA ships have atmosphere generators incase of cockpit breach  :lol:

Your logic hurts my brain. Luckily, there's Occam's Razor.

The simplest possible explanation is that it sounds cool. The second simplest explanation is that GTVA fighters simulate sounds to increase pilot awareness of their surroundings.

Your explanation doesn't make top ten simplest. It dies a horrible death.

Oh, and you've got something against turkeys?  :mad2:
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I hope it's fixes soon..I jsut looks daft that a fighter/capship in top condition looks like it's about to fallapart.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Your logic hurts my brain. Luckily, there's Occam's Razor.

The simplest possible explanation is that it sounds cool. The second simplest explanation is that GTVA fighters simulate sounds to increase pilot awareness of their surroundings.

Here's my idea, to make sound in space fighter sims sound scientific:  (hah!)
The ship's subspace/warp drive is operating in several dimensions, one of which is parallel to the normal three (ie, if you're in point xyz there, you're in point xyz here) and the sounds are passed to it because of ship vibration.  Any other ship with a subspace/warp drive will pick these vibrations up, if it is close enough.
-sounds stupid, I know... but better than atmospheric generators.  :p

Offline Kaine

How about a variation on that explanation? Space isn't a *complete* vacuum, there is matter floating around, just very very little of it. Ships are fitted with directional sensors that pick up the minutest disturbances in the tiny amount of matter floating around in space, convert it to a sound wave, filter out the noise and feed the result to the pilot, giving him an awareness of enemy movement and fire without cluttering his HUD. Whee!

Oh and <3 the Erineyes (sp?) i think its hawt.

Oh and as for fire, just imagine the escaping fuel/oxygen/hydrogen from a hole in the ship being ignited by the red hot metal on the outside. You don't need atmosphere when the fuel is a gas. haven't ever wondered how thrusters work in space?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:33:23 am by Kaine »

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
is this becomin a real vs. game kinda discussion?

my explanation makes sense in a game world just as much as your makes sense in the real world.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
is this becomin a real vs. game kinda discussion?

my explanation makes sense in a game world just as much as your makes sense in the real world.

You're saying... that the GTVA has its entire fleet creating oxygen from pure energy and pumping it into space in an effort to make sound travel.

That makes sense to you?

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
more like containing it in the energy shell (shield) . the SCP should make a distance where you cant hear things.

btw, the "air in the shield" thing corresponds witht the "particle movement2sound" theory.

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
The difference is - in one instance, the particles > sound, it's using ambient particles - ones already there.

In the second, a space fleet is actively expending energy (and surely gobs of money) to dump artificially generated air into the surrounding vacuum. 

Does that sound entirely brilliant to you?  Even surrounded by a shield?  The air costs energy and money to produce, and the shield definitely costs energy.  All as an elaborate expedient for fighter pilots to hear sounds?

Fighter pilots are considered expendable resources in most SF universes, so I wouldn't think that the expense would be either justified, or sane.

Do you see yet why people wonder what the heck you're talking about?   This is elementary science class stuff.  No, you don't pump air into a vacuum, so you can hear the sounds.  That is not very smart.
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline Kaine

No, you don't pump air into a vacuum, so you can hear the sounds.  That is not very smart.

agreed, it is like pouring fresh water into the ocean so you can drink seawater. Why pour massive amounts of resources in when you can just sample and convert what is already there? (ie desalination)

My explanation is really just to expand and slightly modify the original "ship generates sound" story to make it that little bit easier to digest. ie/ there's no questions like "who decides what things sound like?", "what if the ship doesn't know the weapon/ship?" and "wouldn't the ship filter out really loud & high pitched sounds?" In my scenario, all the sounds are generated dynamically, a sort of quick and dirty style that fits much better into FS technology imho.

sorry for thread hijack btw!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeesh.  I like my idea better.  :p

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
why is it that you think this is real? ITS A GAME. A FREAKING GAEM. every single reason every person posted still makes no sense!

*pummled by fanboys*

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah, but of all the ideas, mine has the best possibility of making sense, because the reasoning is based on a technology not developed yet, therefore the reality is unknown.  :p