Poll

How much would you be willing to contribute towards a joint HLP pledge? ($2500 is the target)

$1
6 (5.6%)
$3
5 (4.7%)
$5
12 (11.2%)
$10
21 (19.6%)
$20
27 (25.2%)
$50
20 (18.7%)
$75
1 (0.9%)
$100
9 (8.4%)
$200
4 (3.7%)
More (Please Post)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: This makes me giddy  (Read 70106 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Now I've gone from giddy to flat out passing out from geek joy.

We are mostly C++ (the type is varied. the original source code was C and we've been refining and adapting it ever since).

We are wanting to use the ability to read in APNG as in-game assets material (usually interface and HUD elements, but I'm sure we can also use it elsewhere) but as well, we need to have some format of a builder so that modders can create that APNG content across Windows, OS X and Linux. We have stock standard linking into libpng already to start with, but lack of an universal content creator hampers implementation when nobody can seem to do it the same way consistently.

At some point, our asset container toolset is going to need to be updated (as the asset container itself will be upgraded) into providing a "Preview" function for various data-types that can be stored, which would also include APNG.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So, wait, we can pledge to the kickstarter and have it count towards HLP's group pledge?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Yus. If anybody has already donated to the HLP PayPal, IM me with the details and I will make sure it gets moved over accordingly.

Or if preferred, sent back for direct pledging to the Kickstarter directly.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Okay, easy. But I reckon everyone should also post on here when/how much you contributed to kickstarter so we can keep our own running tally. Going from pledges to real cash is sometimes where projects like this one fall over.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The Kickstarter project lead notices this thread and makes an account to reach out to us?

:jaw:

I love the new yt tag.

Also, $50 pledge sent to Kickstarter with note sent to Rei.

Pledged $30 to KS and note sent.

Now I've gone from giddy to flat out passing out from geek joy.
:D

We are mostly C++ (the type is varied. the original source code was C and we've been refining and adapting it ever since).
OK! I don't expect any issues here. Since it will compile to standard libraries on each system with the magic of CMake hopefully there will be no issues with linking and it will just work.

We are wanting to use the ability to read in APNG as in-game assets material (usually interface and HUD elements, but I'm sure we can also use it elsewhere) but as well, we need to have some format of a builder so that modders can create that APNG content across Windows, OS X and Linux. We have stock standard linking into libpng already to start with, but lack of an universal content creator hampers implementation when nobody can seem to do it the same way consistently.
APNG is basically just a bunch of PNG images in a row with some meta information and we WILL NOT rely on a patched version of libpng. Anything assebled with apngasm on system A should dis-assembled properly on system B. Actual encoding and decoding of PNG frames is still the job of libpng.

All our tools will use the core apngasm library so there should not be any issues with content being created in one tool not being read or output the same on another or in your client (f*ing collada still gives me nigthmares  :hopping: ). As for the content creator we'll have a command line tool and the GUI we outlined and it looks like we'll have a Photoshop plug-in as well. Since the CLI, GUI and plug-in will all be using the exact same library to assemble PNG as you'll be integrating to dis-assemble I expect all will be good.

The Kickstarter project lead notices this thread and makes an account to reach out to us?

:jaw:

Hey, thanks for showing interest in a non-web context! I'll be preparing a post in a little bit and I'll post it here first for everyone to review. If there's anything you want me to convey about HLP and the OSS FSO projects can you outline them? I don't want to give inaccurate or unwanted PR.

Also don't assume anyone running a kickstarter campaign is any kind of special. All you need to run a KS campaign is an amazon payments account and either:
A. Enough confidence in your awesome product that feel you can finally show it to the world
B. A lack of enough shame to stop you from making a stupid pitch video with a goofy sound track and a desire to make something you are just assuming everyone will think is awesome, regardless of the fact you have no actual reason or basis to assume anyone will care at all
'B' Totally worked for us this time!

Offline Luis Dias

Hehe, anyways it's really cool to see how the wider internet FOSS developer community is neatly getting things together and so on!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh yes.. Photoshop plugin FTW! Bonus points for PS 64-bit compatibility... I'll get my pledge in quite soon.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
$50 contributed to KS and message sent.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Done --> + 66.75$ (=50€)

Offline Lorric

Hello everyone, I'm Rei Kagetsuki the creator of the kickstarter. Sorry it took me so long to notice this.
You're sorry? I'm surprised you found this place at all!

Offline docfu

Pledged $100 and notice sent.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Add in my 100$.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Posting to confirm I just registered to KS and sent mine. Note also sent to Kagetsuki-san.

Decided sod it and pledged $50 in the end. Hope you guys get this; it sounds like it'll be useful :)
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
$50 pledged & note sent.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I just pledged 55$, but how do I send a note? Right now it's in my name...

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Log in to Kickstarter and open the project page.  It should say "You're a backer!" near the top.  next to that is a link that says "Rei Kagetsuki".  Click the link, and choose "contact me" from the pop up.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Kicked my $30 pledge to the KS and sent notification. :)
I am a revolutionary.