Author Topic: SDL2 + X-55 Rhino = Weirdness  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
SDL2 + X-55 Rhino = Weirdness
So I downloaded a nightly and slapped SDL2.dll in my game folder. I'm assuming that's where it goes, anyway. The slapping was definitely a must. Fired up the launcher, was surprised to see actual names for my devices instead of "PC-joystick driver". I attempted to use vJoy because  FSO won't be able to discern between the X and Y axes also present on the stick. My vJoy stick ID is #1, but FSO seems to completely ignore vJoy. It also refuses to accept button and axis inputs, and using the throttle (dual throttle, so a second axis) makes FSO think I'm pitching and rolling.

So uh... is this an actual issue or is it because Saitek is dumb? This is probably unreadable but I honestly don't know how to explain it better, at least initially.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline m!m

Re: SDL2 + X-55 Rhino = Weirdness
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

The log should say what FSO thinks about the selected joystick. Which wxLauncher version are you using?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I guess you've updated wxLauncher since I last checked. I was still using 0.10.1. Seems to have resolved the issue. Here's the log anyway, though, despite there being only one mention of joysticks (Windows reporting 16 and probably assuming each of my HIDs is a joystick input).

[EDIT] Crap, wrong log.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:02:40 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline m!m

There have been a few bugs in SDL2 Joystick handling that were resolved by wxLauncher 0.11 so you were probably experiencing one of them.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah, this is what I get for not frequenting HLP as much as I used to. :P

Though I do have a question... does FreeSpace with SDL2 support more than 32 buttons?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:09:03 am by Cobra »

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
No, not currently, it's on my TODO list.  :banghead:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Hopefully it will be done because we get wxFRED working and you're moving on to more items on the list, but the way things go around here, it's more likely it will get worked on because you're tired of banging your head against the wxFRED wall. LOL
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.