Author Topic: Considering buying a PS3  (Read 2950 times)

Considering buying a PS3
Yeah, weird. But they're down to $250 now and there's a few exclusive games I want to try out.

Considering I own a Wii and an Xbox 360 already, am I just being silly, or are PS3 exclusive titles worth it?

Ah, maybe I should clarify which titles I mean: Disgaea 3 and 4, as well as Gundam Extreme Vs. Those are the ones I'm interested in at the moment.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: Considering buying a PS3
Well, I've never played those titles, but if it's exclusives you're looking at may as well eh
However, I'd suggest waiting for pricing on the exclusives to drop anyhow. That way, you can get more bang for your buck
"No"

Offline Veers

Own all three, enjoy all three. Completely upto you if you want to play those titles, if you dont have a blu-ray player, it also is a good benefit.

Mind you, bought the Wii new after release. Bought the PS3 for $400 3 weeks old, never used. (RRP for all of the gear is slightly over $800). And the 360 when a local store stuffed up majorly. So Kinect Bundle with the large hdd version, + 4 games and controller for the same price as the 4GB Kinect Bundle with 2 games. They tried swapping it out with a 4GB so I had a good go at them... good times. :)

Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Patriot

I myself own a 360, my buddy has all three, he plays his 360 pretty much all the time, we use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

But, if a few of your friends have a PS3 and no 360 and you want to play with them online, i'd say go for it, unless the exclusives are the sole reason to buy one, personally i wouldn't, but it's up to you on that one.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
A good, fast PC should be able to emulate PS3 without any problems.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Aaaaahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, Dragon. You are sooo wrong. So very, very wrong. x86-based PCs will not be able to emulate a PS3 for several years.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline LHN91

A good, fast PC should be able to emulate PS3 without any problems.

PS2 emulation is not particularly easy at the moment (to get smooth, 60fps gameplay at any rate), let alone PS3.

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
The problem with emulating is that you need roughly 10 times the processing power so ps3 emulators won't be coming for several years yet

Offline Davros

That day is here (according to some)

PCs have 10x console horsepower - AMD
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-21-pcs-have-10x-console-horsepower-amd

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Not only that, but you need a game of which can look 10x as good in the same cost as it would be 1x as good
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The references in the article are pretty damn wrong. In terms of raw GPU horsepower, a Radeon 7970 (The most powerful single-gpu card on the market at the moment) has about 7 times the processing power of the one found in the 360 (And given that the PS3 GPU comes from the same generation, the same is true there).

However, that's not the problem.

The problem with emulating modern consoles (or any console in the history of ever), is that it's not enough to just find a way to make the binaries run on another hardware, you have to find a way to accurately emulate the actual hardware and its quirks. Modern console programs are heavily optimized for the hardware they are running on; if we take the PS3 and Uncharted as an example, Naughty Dog are using several of the Cell's SPUs to offload postprocessing duties on the fly. This is something noone would ever do on a PC, and a case in which a direct translation of the process to the PC architecture would incur slowdowns like crazy.

Right now, we're just about able to emulate PS2s, 12 years after that system's debut. Because it took that long to reverse-engineer and recreate the internal workings of the PS2 to a degree where emulation is mostly stable. Getting to the same level with the PS3 and 360 will take quite a bit longer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Enzo03

Even worse is the state of original Xbox emulation. :)
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Even worse is the state of original Xbox emulation. :)
Yeah, which annoys the heck out of me.  I have a "copy" of the game Metal Wolf Chaos, a hilarious Japanese-exclusive title featuring a future president of the US fighting his way across the country in a giant robot to take on the usurping vice-president, but I have absolutely no way of playing it.

As for the PS3, given the current price point, I could easily see myself getting one at some point this year once I have some real income.  I don't own a personal Blu-ray player yet, and there are a few exclusives (the Uncharted series, the upcoming The Last Guardian) that I definitely wouldn't mind playing.

I have a "copy" of the game Metal Wolf Chaos, a hilarious Japanese-exclusive title featuring a future president of the US fighting his way across the country in a giant robot to take on the usurping vice-president, but I have absolutely no way of playing it.

I've never understood why this wasn't released in America. I mean, really. The American President kicking ass in a giant robot all over the US, shouting lines about freedom and liberty and whatnot all the while?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The only thing I can think of is that the publisher was concerned about the title possibly generating a negative reaction in the US...which would imply that they have no concept of the US market, because more than a few people over here would have eaten that thing up.  Hell, the localization would have been a snap, since it's all in (wonderfully cheesy) English in the first place.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
I have a "copy" of the game Metal Wolf Chaos, a hilarious Japanese-exclusive title featuring a future president of the US fighting his way across the country in a giant robot to take on the usurping vice-president, but I have absolutely no way of playing it.

I've never understood why this wasn't released in America. I mean, really. The American President kicking ass in a giant robot all over the US, shouting lines about freedom and liberty and whatnot all the while?

The vice-president is the villain. Of course Cheney had the black-helicopter guys block it.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found