Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 118008 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Jack reminds me of iamzack too much, i can never do relationships with her.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Kolgena

You mean iamjack?

Offline iamzack

WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
I want Mordin, Legion and Thane back. Everyone else can burn

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I hope Kasumi makes some kind of return.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Woo! Go collectors! C TO THE O TO THE L TO... the...

I dun goofed, didn't I?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Hopefully, ME2 goes on sale on Steam in their upcoming holiday sale so I can play it soon... right after I finish Morrowind.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hopefully, ME2 goes on sale on Steam in their upcoming holiday sale so I can play it soon... right after I finish Morrowind.

It's only $20!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

It's only $20!

Yeah, but it might be down to $5 between Christmas and New Years'.  I'm nothing if not shrewd about a good deal.  The Steam Holiday sales are when I pick up my gaming list for the next year or so (last year's purchases included games still in my backlog like Morrowind, STALKER, and Company of Heroes; I finished Fallout 3 and its DLCs this fall).

I'm also hoping Dragon Age goes on sale too, along with a few other titles (Fallout: New Vegas, Assassin's Creed, BioShock 2).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
:bump:

So, Arrival (the last DLC pack) has been released. Short review: It's good, but not as good as Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker were.

Here's hoping we get a ME2 Ultimate Edition soon.....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
For those of us who just got Red Dead and haven't been paying a bit of attention because we're idiots, what's this one about?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

It's about bridging ME2 and 3.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Here's hoping we get a ME2 Ultimate Edition soon.....

This. Or atleast an all in one DLC pack.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok no one seems to have posted anything about ME3, so i will post some stuff,  best bit of news is that GARRUS is back as a squad member, provided he survived ME2. Liara is also back as a squadie.  Legion is returning YAY!!!! not yet comfirmed if he is a squad member or a guest star, same with Wrex. Sorry its a long post. All this is sourced from Game Informer.  Also Bioware confirmed that there wont be very many spoilers for the storyline, to qoute them "you won't know the story until you play it"

First Details
As promised, the first Mass Effect 3 details have arrived in US retailer mag Game Informer.  According to the mag, BioWare's third and final sci-fi instalment kicks off with Shepard on Earth, facing trial for the events that occurred during the recently released Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2.  In the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade, and it all kicks off. Mass Effect 3's prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and subsequent mission to yet again gather allies to battle the Reaper troops.

Confirmed squadmates from the GI article include Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and a man called James Sanders, who we're not familiar with. Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson will also appear in the game (if they're alive), but aren't confirmed as squadmates.  Mass Effect 3's set to include numerous endings, BioWare's confirmed, and just like the last game who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit will have a drastic effect on which ending you get.  The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role in the third game, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard for reasons unknown, says GI.  In the gameplay department, RPG elements are being beefed up for the third game, says BioWare, offering players more freedom with character skills. Skill trees are said to be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering players even more freedom.

Weapons are similar to those in Mass Effect 2, except mods make a return, allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and appearance.  All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. For example, only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once.  Finally, for those who've missed out on the series so far (shame on you) GI says Mass Effect 3 will feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions from scratch.  Good stuff. EA says to expect Mass Effect 3 this year. We'll hopefully have more for you soon.

Gamefeel fullscale war
BioWare's described in detail the feelings it plans to evoke with Mass Effect's final episode, which it says will - at the beginning at least - feel "hopeless", "ugly" and like a "full-scale war".

Speaking in the US Game Informer reveal (hit the link for all the Mass Effect 3 details), executive producer Casey Hudson said the third game will continue the dark tone of Mass Effect 2. "Yeah [the tone continues]. I don't want to say it's hopelessness, but it's that sense of, given the scale of what you're fighting, how can you possibly win? It's going to take so much coordination and so much force," he said. "Whereas Mass Effect 2 was sort of stylishly dark - cool and slick, this is much more of a full-scale war feel. You don't really have the luxuries, and you don't have the sense that you can for sure win. "Deep down, you know that it's going to get ugly and there are things that are going to be lost, even if you win." Hudson told GI that BioWare's intention is to make the beginning of Mass Effect 3's story "hopeless", but later "you start finding a reason to believe".

"If I tell you that reason to believe right now, then the story up front doesn't make sense when you play, because you're waiting for X to happen. That's thing we don't want to reveal." In the same interview Hudson teased the possibility of an MMO based in the sci-fi universe and detailed a tweaked combat system.

[ Source: Game Informer ]

New Game +
Mass Effect 3's release still lies in the too-distant future, but that hasn't stopped BioWare talking up what players will be able to do once the main game is finished.

Mass Effect aficionados will remember the first game allowed players to replay the main story campaign in a New Game+ mode once the story was completed, whereas the second Mass Effect simply dropped Shepard and the crew back into the world and allowed you to finish up side-missions and play DLC.

According to executive producer Casey Hudson, Mass Effect 3 will use a mixture of both of these, allowing players to both replay the campaign with extra powers and tie up loose ends. "It's probably going to be a combination of both," Hudson told US retail mag Game Informer. "We're going to have a version of the post-game state that you can go back to and finish more stuff, but then we'll have stuff you can loop back around and do in new game+. It's a hybrid of the two", he explained.

In the same interview Hudson teased the possibility of an MMO based in the sci-fi universe and detailed a tweaked combat system.

Combat tactics
BioWare has provided a little information on the combat mechanics in Mass Effect 3, including similarities to previous series entries as well as tweaks and new additions.  Speaking to Game Informer as part of its cover feature, Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson said critical and fan responses to the redesigned system used in Mass Effect 2 indicated that the studio had found its sweet spot.  "If you look at the way Mass Effect 2 was received by fans and critics - given the huge, sweeping changes we made - I think there's reason to believe that the formula we arrived at was right. Now, I think there are tweaks we can make to that."

The GI article goes on to say that many of the improvements to the mechanics are subtle and will likely only be noticed by players with a deep familiarity with the ME2 system, although there are some new additions too.  According to the feature, the game has 'enhanced cover mechanics' that allow Shepard to remain safe and manoeuvre himself around the battlefield. Peeking round corners has also been tweaked, and Shepard can now execute a roll intended to make getting over lower objects easier. Locales are more dynamic in Mass Effect 3, with ladders providing access to different parts of an area.

Elsewhere in the article, Hudson discusses enemy AI, which he says is much more "aggressive". "They have very specific roles on the battlefield, and those roles - like chess pieces - work together a lot better because they have unique tactics", he explained. He pointed out that switching from number-based combat to a more traditional shooter gameplay style placed Mass Effect 2 in a competitive genre, but is confident Mass Effect 3 can hold its own." We realised that because we have shooter combat, we inevitably will be compared with the best shooters in the world. So we have to get to that level... Now, with Mass Effect 3, we're able to complete that evolution with improvements across the board." Hudson also teased the possibility of an MMO based in the sci-fi universe

Savegames from ME1 and ME2
Casey Hudson, BioWare's executive producer for the Mass Effect franchise, says the third game in the series will feature a number of "incredible moments".

"... This is what we've been looking forward to the whole trilogy," he told Game Informer. "If you think about the IP that we've built, really every one of the arcs we've got going are leading towards this long list of incredible moments, and that's really what Mass Effect is made out of."  Hudson also confirmed that a number of decisions made in the first game will have consequences in the third one, and went on to tease the possibility of an MMO based in the sci-fi universe.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So do Niftu Cal and Conrad Verner team up, depending on them not having perished in ME2?   

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That's pretty good! :lol:

Offline Luis Dias

Starbug, that's good intel ;).

And yeah I agree that the Terminator idea was the biggest stain in a game that will be in my memories as the best game the last decade was able to produce. I just hope they just "forget about it", and don't try to explain it in some convoluted-solution-that-is-worse-than-the-original-stain. The beggining of the plot sounds good too. 911 and Pearl Harbor, etc., but the "7 million a week" killing average will need a damned good explainin'.

It better not just be 7 million a week. The Reapers wouldn't be doing their jobs if that was the case.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Could be just the population of London or the UK they've killed off?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

It better not just be 7 million a week. The Reapers wouldn't be doing their jobs if that was the case.

It's in the trailah

Could be just the population of London or the UK they've killed off?

They are probably trying to snipe Shepard.

EDIT: sorry, the trailer says there are "other cities" which are being attacked too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:20:10 pm by Luis Dias »