Author Topic: Hosting Policy  (Read 93184 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We strongly prefer people to join existing projects rather than create new ones, but if you feel equally strongly about starting your own project, here are the requirements for applying for project hosting:

1) You must demonstrate significant progress on your project.  Examples of significant progress would be a modeldump or demo release, or evidence of strong and detailed internal project organization.

2) You must have a campaign outline.  (You don't have to release it publically, just show it to the person evaluating your hosting request.)  It can be detailed or vague, but it has to lay out a plan of attack.  This ensures that projects will make progress and will not wander aimlessly for years before settling down with a design.

3) If you want to be listed as a "hosted" project, then you will need a website, or a project page that people can visit to view story, screenshots, news, and so forth.  It doesn't have to be very big, or very complex, but it has to be halfway decent, not something you threw together in five minutes.  All hosted projects are given their own subdomain on hard-light.net.

4) We will not approve new project requests from any projects with campaigns longer than 20 missions.  History has shown that the failure rate for such campaigns has been very, very high, probably upwards of ninety percent.  Of those campaigns that do eventually release something, most languish for years, often going through one or more dormant stages before finishing.

5) Provision must have been made for what will happen if your mod does die. Too many campaigns have been hosted on HLP for several years only to end up unreleased. All the effort involved is then wasted, often because although there are many assets which could be released, people have moved on and can't be contacted and asked about making a public dump.

6) The team must have a clear policy over who owns assets while the mod is being worked on and after release. Releases that use Creative Commons or some other license which allows other members of the community to use the assets after release will be looked upon more favourably.

The object of this policy is not to discourage projects per se, but to ensure that the energy expended on projects is profitable and productive.  There's nothing worse than pouring months and months of effort into a bloated albatross only to have it die off or be abandoned.  Smaller campaigns of 5 to 10 missions have a much higher chance of succeeding.

It is also worth noting that FreeSpace has been out for a long time.  If you have an idea for a fantastic new campaign of epic proportions, chances are pretty good that someone, or several someones, has already thought of it.  In this situation, you're much better off finding an existing campaign similar to your own and joining that instead.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:48:03 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I think that is a good guideline. And on a side note, could you get rid of all the old projects on the hosted sites list?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
BUT who'd want to play such short campaigns?

Derelict
was long, but it was worth my time (disappointed when I finished it.)

Just asking-I'm not a fredder... :doubt: :blah:
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Most campaigns are only short. BP was only like 12 missions, IIRC. (I could be wrong)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
does this also apply to game warden hosted things? like nukemod?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
This isn't about space so much as clutter, I believe. I think that GW has it's own rules.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Most campaigns are only short. BP was only like 12 missions, IIRC. (I could be wrong)

BP had 23 (00 through 22)

A 20 mission maximum is a little harsh, but if it comes from experience, then...well, I can't argue.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Q: Will you allow exceptions to the 20 mission rule if a campaign shows much promise and the creator(s) seem like they will finish it in a timely manner?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I think they'd be more likely to accept a 20+ mission campaign if half of it is already done.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline blowfish

BTW not that I am going to anytime in the near future, but how do you apply for project hosting?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
...could you get rid of all the old projects on the hosted sites list?
Which ones?

BUT who'd want to play such short campaigns?
Who'd want to play The Procyon Insurgency then, which only has 17 missions?  Or Shrouding the Light, with 15?  Inferno, with 14?  Aeos Affair, with 10; Cardinal Spear, with 8; Destiny of Peace, with 7; Twilight, with 6; Deus Ex Machina, with 5; Echo Gate or Phantoms, with 4 each?  You would know better than I.

does this also apply to game warden hosted things? like nukemod?
This policy only applies to HLP.

Q: Will you allow exceptions to the 20 mission rule if a campaign shows much promise and the creator(s) seem like they will finish it in a timely manner?
Not gonna answer that, as it's a hypothetical question.

how do you apply for project hosting?
You contact one of the admins and ask.

Offline blowfish

Not gonna answer that, as it's a hypothetical question.

But that does acknowledge the possibility of it happening...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You just don't know when to shut up, do you?  Fine.  Just for you, I'll eliminate the ambiguity.  NO.  No, we will not grant any exceptions whatsoever to the 20-mission rule.  This policy exists for a reason, and if we let members hack it to death with a thousand hypotheticals, it will quickly become meaningless.

We are not going to countenance a ninety-percent failure rate on new campaigns.  It's discouraging to the project members and it's harmful to the health of the community -- just look at what happened to SectorGame.  If you want to challenge the policy, then man up, come back in six months with your twenty-plus mission campaign, and prove us wrong.  Whining about it when you don't even plan on applying for hosting will get you nowhere.  The rule stands, no exceptions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:04:19 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
And here I thought episodic content would be the word of the day. I've never really understood why projects had to keep partially finished campaigns to themselves when they could release it in parts. Episodic release design also endorses proper outlining, planning and mission designing. Which again actually improves the chances of someone being able to finish it, even if that someone would be someone else than the one who started it all.

Offline blowfish

You just don't know when to shut up, do you?  Fine.  Just for you, I'll eliminate the ambiguity.  NO.  No, we will not grant any exceptions whatsoever to the 20-mission rule.  This policy exists for a reason, and if we let members hack it to death with a thousand hypotheticals, it will quickly become meaningless.

All right, I'm sorry for being an annoying n00b.  I was just in a bad mood last night.  And I am known for asking hypothetical questions.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
And here I thought episodic content would be the word of the day. I've never really understood why projects had to keep partially finished campaigns to themselves when they could release it in parts. Episodic release design also endorses proper outlining, planning and mission designing. Which again actually improves the chances of someone being able to finish it, even if that someone would be someone else than the one who started it all.

QFT. Me, Bengal, Retsof, Shiv, And Blowfish are working on a 40 mission mod, released in 10 mission chapters

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

We are not going to countenance a ninety-percent failure rate on new campaigns.  It's discouraging to the project members and it's harmful to the health of the community -- just look at what happened to SectorGame.  If you want to challenge the policy, then man up, come back in six months with your twenty-plus mission campaign, and prove us wrong.  Whining about it when you don't even plan on applying for hosting will get you nowhere.  The rule stands, no exceptions.

Now I'm afraid to ask if the mod's already done before the request. :nervous:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
...could you get rid of all the old projects on the hosted sites list?
Which ones?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You must have had a good reason to do this. Question...what led you to to post this Announcement? Someone recently asked for project hosting and you denied it without letting us know? Just curious.

Who'd want to play The Procyon Insurgency then, which only has 17 missions?  Or Shrouding the Light, with 15?  Inferno, with 14?  Aeos Affair, with 10; Cardinal Spear, with 8; Destiny of Peace, with 7; Twilight, with 6; Deus Ex Machina, with 5; Echo Gate or Phantoms, with 4 each?  You would know better than I.

I'm sorry  but these are bad examples. First of all, PI has been dead for a long while(CP, correct me if I'm wrong)and would have never been hosted I think. Secondly, these are campaigns, not "complete" projects. What's the point in asking for hosting a 5-10-15 missions campaign before FREDding it? People can simply FRED it and ask for direct hosting as soon as it has been completed.

When you're dealing with a modpack in very good shape and a campaign whose number of missions exceeds 20 you can't do that, not under a moral point of view. You can always host models and graphics that risk to get lost if they remain in the hands of common members. Furthermore, teams can be renewed even after a while in an unexpected way - Inferno's an example.

And what if the number of missions is 21?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
CP is always here. And PI was only finished less that a year ago.