Author Topic: Awful textures  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
See attachments.

One of these is from FreeSpace: The Great War, released in 1998. The other is from the FSU MediaVPs 3.6.12, released in 2010.

Can anyone tell me how this happened? How many other maps in the MVPs are in this sorry state? And why has this gone unnoticed for so long?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Being saved and compressed over itself way too many times.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That is pretty bad. I had noticed the mediavp texture's crappiness before, but I had no idea there was another texture.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
My best guess is that someone saved the texture as DXT1 without being fully aware of how to use the best quality preserving options.

Either that or they first saved it as JPG or something silly like that. Dark RevenantX's explanation is also possible.

There are a few textures which have tons of dithering effects (check Levy/Fenris diffuse maps as an example of this) but yeah, that's pretty bad as far as retail -> DXT1 conversion goes.

And Hades, it's the same texture, the only difference is that the MediaVP texture is changed to a texture ratio of 512x512 (which by the way also eats a bit out from original resolution - better option would be 512x1024 or even 1024x1024; DXT1 compression gives 1:6 yield so even if the texture is four times larger, a DXT1 compressed, 1024^2 texture is more efficient than a 512^2 non-DXT compressed texture... plus the compression artefacts don't show up so clearly), the non-mapped areas have for some reason been filled with black, and it has been (badly) converted to DDS.

I did a little test with the original texture, and sure enough saving it as DDS results in much clearer texture than current MediaVP texture.

Thankfully (or not) there are not so many ships that use retail mappings any more - mostly Vasudan ships that have not been re-modeled, re-mapped and re-textured. But yeah it would seem that a quality inspection of the goods compared to retail source data is in order...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
It's not just compression artifacts... it looks like at some point someone played around with the contrast settings, which might have looked decent at that point, but the the following compression was done suboptimal.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Is anyone checking the other textures?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
oh **** that might be my fault, i remember putting that smiley face under the turret

i am so ashamed :-(
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
whatever dude that was like 6 years ago
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
No, I think the only way we can resolve this is by public lynching.

(really, just fix it up and replace it, who gives a **** why it happened)

Good on Galemp for catching it.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
oh **** that might be my fault, i remember putting that smiley face under the turret

i am so ashamed :-(

Did we even save the textures as DDS back then?
I recall Lightspeed using JPG and TGA for quite some time.

Also there is a good chance somebody else simply compressed is again by mistake.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------