Author Topic: Those special FreeSpace moments...  (Read 46584 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: Those special FreeSpace moments...
Here's an idea: Make Microsoft Sam say "soif" in FS2. For example, "the GTC Soif". I'm sure it'll be quite a laugh, because he always says "soif" in the weirdest way possible for a monotone.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Krelus

Here's an idea: Make Microsoft Sam say "soif" in FS2. For example, "the GTC Soif". I'm sure it'll be quite a laugh, because he always says "soif" in the weirdest way possible for a monotone.

A favorite bind of mine in Vent was "The roflcopter goes swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh"

I'll have to try JAD with voice synth XD

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Liek MAsturcheef?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I had a "special moment" a few days ago that highlighted just how great I think wingmen in Freespace 2 are and how much I rely on them. I play on insane difficulty by the way, I just love the AI on it.

Anyway, major fleet action in Blue Planet, our carrier was under attack and I had my wings holding off the bombers while I flew off on my own to destroy a Ravan's forward beam turrets. Ordinarily I would never even attempt this alone on insane diff but I was packing trident missiles and figured I'd be able to take them on from a distance and not expose myself too much.

So I was indeed able to blow away those beam cannons with the tridents and as I was turning back to assist in our carrier's defense I started getting a warning that I was being targeted and sure enough I had a wing of three or four Basilisks closing on me and I was isolated from the rest of my wing. Terrible situation, I avoid this like the plague. Furthermore I have missiles incoming and I'm all out of countermeasures. So I turn into the Basilisks, not really attempting to engage them but just to avoid their fire and keep them from getting a missile lock. Meanwhile I radio two fighters from the wing to back me up, not wanting to draw everyone else away just for little ol' me.

And although I do evade a lot of fire I little by little get chopped to pieces. Weapons are destroyed, nav is destroyed, down to 20% hull. And all the sudden I hear the sweetest sound of my wingmen's cannons firing like hell and Basilisks exploding. Those two guys jumped the all the Shivan fighters that were tearing me up and knocked them down like flies. And I survived and beat the mission.

It was beautiful. Were it real I'd buy those two guys a beer.

Homesick:
Spoiler:
The death of the MCv Custodian...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I had a "special moment" a few days ago that highlighted just how great I think wingmen in Freespace 2 are and how much I rely on them. I play on insane difficulty by the way, I just love the AI on it.

Anyway, major fleet action in Blue Planet, our carrier was under attack and I had my wings holding off the bombers while I flew off on my own to destroy a Ravan's forward beam turrets. Ordinarily I would never even attempt this alone on insane diff but I was packing trident missiles and figured I'd be able to take them on from a distance and not expose myself too much.

So I was indeed able to blow away those beam cannons with the tridents and as I was turning back to assist in our carrier's defense I started getting a warning that I was being targeted and sure enough I had a wing of three or four Basilisks closing on me and I was isolated from the rest of my wing. Terrible situation, I avoid this like the plague. Furthermore I have missiles incoming and I'm all out of countermeasures. So I turn into the Basilisks, not really attempting to engage them but just to avoid their fire and keep them from getting a missile lock. Meanwhile I radio two fighters from the wing to back me up, not wanting to draw everyone else away just for little ol' me.

And although I do evade a lot of fire I little by little get chopped to pieces. Weapons are destroyed, nav is destroyed, down to 20% hull. And all the sudden I hear the sweetest sound of my wingmen's cannons firing like hell and Basilisks exploding. Those two guys jumped the all the Shivan fighters that were tearing me up and knocked them down like flies. And I survived and beat the mission.

There are no "Trident" missiles in Blue Planet. Nor is there a "Ravan." (Ravan is obviously a missing 'a' at the end, but Trident? Do you mean Trebuchet?)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The story, however, is still super cool.

Offline Roanoke

As someone who never saw the demo, when the colossus appears for the first time.

Offline eliex

More like in Derelict, a Sathanas jumps in right in front of you at 700m/s . . .

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As someone who never saw the demo, when the colossus appears for the first time.

The Colossus isn't in the demo, actually. But it is in Freespace 2: Colossus, which was kind of a trial version. As I understood it, it was shipped with certain joysticks?

There are no "Trident" missiles in Blue Planet. Nor is there a "Ravan." (Ravan is obviously a missing 'a' at the end, but Trident? Do you mean Trebuchet?)

Yea I meant trebuchet. I don't know why I get those confused.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Well statistically they're surprisingly close in some respects
Trident
   Range:    7,360 KM
   Yield:       ~3.8 megatons
Trebuchet
   Range:   5.6 KM
   Yield:     ~.5 Megatons

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Perhaps its because of the Inferno/S:AH "Trident" missile?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kie99

Well statistically they're surprisingly close in some respects
Trident
   Range:    7,360 KM
   Yield:       ~3.8 megatons
Trebuchet
   Range:   5.6 KM
   Yield:     ~.5 Megatons

In what respect are they "close"?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm guessing it was sarcasm, which doesn't transmit well over the Internet.

However, they both start with 'tr' and end in 't'. (TRidenT and TRebucheT.)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Seeing the FS2 mainhall after a whole load of anticipation...

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Does "those magick moments" go through anyone else's head every time they see this thread?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
:confused:
Wha?

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Its a song ... rather slow.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Ohhhhh,

You mean does the quality street ad them play while reading this?

"Magic............Mom-ents, when two hearts are sharingggggggg........dum dum dum, dum dum dum."

Nah not really. although it's starting to now.....dammit :mad:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.