Author Topic: Those special FreeSpace moments...  (Read 46585 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: Those special FreeSpace moments...
I once killed a Manticore using dual Cyclops.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Windmills.

That is all.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The start of JAD:SSE was also pretty special because it was one of the last things you'd probably expect to happen.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Killing a wing of Manticores before they even shot at me, in an Erynies...
With Maxims.

Running FSOpen with all mediavp's as soon as I got my new PC running.

Playing through the TotT Intro without finding any real issues and releasing it.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Maxim is actually quite dangerous if fired from a quad-linked gun mount. I once fried several Lokis in SGWP2 while flying a Sekhmet equipped with a Maxim.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Krelus

The Maxim is actually quite dangerous if fired from a quad-linked gun mount. I once fried several Lokis in SGWP2 while flying a Sekhmet equipped with a Maxim.

Such a power hog, though.

Offline eliex

Such a power hog, though.

It's worth it when you see the carnage of pitiful convoys exploding from extreme long range.  :nod:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
By the time they see you fire, they're already dead. :drevil:
My blog

MP-Ryan

I really like that mission in Freespace 1 when you lead that attack to capture the Shivan warship commanding four wings of GTA fighters. It was just the first time I REALLY got a sense of not playing alone and having to depend on your wingmen for survival. It was like "Beta and Charlie take out the fighters, Delta hit those turrets, Alpha you stay on my wing we're going straight in...". At least that's what I was telling them in my head  :lol:

In Derelict there's that big battle in Phi Eridani where you're blockading the node and holding off the Shivans. It was just a -desperate- battle when I played it. Very memorable.

And how about that fantastic moment in Blue Planet when you jump in right above the Lucifer fleet to turn the tide of your "dream" battle? That was just epic. I loved, capital LOVED the sensation the moment you come out of subspace, see the planet below you, see the Shivans, see the GTVA warships, and realize you'd seen it all before. It was so well done.

Offline Mikes

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:28:29 am by Mikes »

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
Starts off when i first played the first freespace when i was like.. 8-9 maybe..i was rather good but i was jumping in my seat going "OMG OMG OMG I ROCK OMG AWESOMEZ!!!!!" yeah i was odd. i saw my friend...and i love shooting my allies in the back..and it was OH NO YOU DON'T you know? lol like i could turn traitor..so of course i laughed evilly and wickedly..and cheated an destroyed my friends..and then i though..f--- now im bored REDO!!!! lol but yeah. leading up the FIRST shivan encounter you know?i went ALLLL that way to the freaking warship..just to have it destroyed by some random red glowing things.... who made me almost break my T key.....lol. and then they left so I'm like...ok.... and then they go for the Plato.....i swore righy as my mother came in the room....lol
Next...omg I HATED the Galatea mission. those asteroid pissed me off something bad.. but man when the shivans finally showed up i was like COME ON COME ON COME ON!! ALMOST THERE!!! ALMOST YES!!!!!!" i screamed and fell backward had to play on my knees leaving the chair where it was. heh. i had to try that mission 15 times....after that its mostly a blur. but when i finally FINALLY got the dragon under control...greatest..disappointment..ever.. i was liek HELL YES i get to fly this pain in the butt finally...and then i realized it sucked....and asked myself this... HOW THE HECK DOES THIS THING KILL SO MANY CAPITOL SHIPS?! lo. god the Lucifer  i mean..talk about  a massive ship...i was like all "OOH Sh--" ahh ya know?" i was so amazed with i was really feeling the dread whenever it showed up. god was i happy to finally beat the game...the power went out before it registered had to restart the entire campaign lol. but it was awesome still...
i loved teh freespace2 demo.....omg the beam cannons...first time seeing that thing was like "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!"..... "high pitch praise" and finally to shorten this for myself and others as im doing this drunk and at very late night with sore body but proud thoughts.....
the Capella phase thingy  (lol yep im gonna cal it that)......i mean i was like wowed by lucifer...but i saw the star....... and this was what i thought.
"oh yeah.....no wya in hell are we gonna live...nope...shivans boned us. well nice playing wonder what else is on HLP (lol random yep and edited..somewhat.. also i have a million things i am downloading and slowly trying to mod but mainly cuz i have wayyy too much time on my hands and yeah im awake now lol HI THANKS FOR THE GREETING!!!")

(again thanks for the greeting and i kept my word..i spell checked....most of it lol later!!)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:06:05 pm by bahijal74 »
All energy to weapons.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...well then. :lol:

:welcome:

Starts off when i first played the first freespace when i was like.. 8-9 maybe..i was rather good but i was jumpin in my seat going "OMG OMG OMG I RICK OMG AWESOMEZ!!!!!" yeah i was odd. i saw my friend...and i love shooting my allies in the back..and it was OH NO YOU DOnt you know? lol like i could turn traitor..so of course i laughed evilly and wickedly..and cheated an destroyed my friends..and then i though..f--- now im bored REDO!!!! lol but yeah. leading upthe FIRST shivan encounter you know?i went ALLLL that way to the freakin warship..just to have it destroye dby some random red glowing things.... who mad eme almost break my T key.....lol. an dthen they left so im like...ok.... and then they go for teh plato.....i swore rigth as my mother came in the room....lol
Next...omg I HATED teh galatea misssion thos easteroid pisse dme off somethignbad.. but man when teh shivan finally show up i wa slike COME ON COME ON COME ON!! LAMOST THER!!! ALMOST YES!!!!!!" i screame dand fell abckward ha dto play on my knees leaving the chair where it was. heh. i ha dto try that misssion 15 times....after that its mostly a blur. but when i finally FINALLY got the dragon under control...greatest..dissapointment..ever.. i wa sliek HELL YES i get to fly this pain in the butt finallly...and then i saw... HOW THE HECK DOES TIS THING KILL SO MANY CAPITOL SHIPS?! lo. god teh lucife r i mean..talk about  amassive ship...i wa slike all "OOH ahh ya know?" i was so amaze diwth i was really feeling the dread whenever it showed up. god wa si happy to finally beat the game...the power went out before it registered had to restart the entir ecampaign lol. but it was awesome still...
i love dteh freespace2 demo.....omg the beam cannon...first tiem seeign that thing wa sliek HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!..... "high pitch praise" and finally to hsorten this for msyelf an dothers im doign this drunk and at very late nigth with sor ebody but proud thougts.....
the capella phase......i mean i was liek wowe dby lucifer...but i saw teh star....... and this wa swhat i thought.
"oh yeah.....no wya in hell are we gonna live...nope...shivans boned us. well nic eplayign ownder what else is on HLP

(oh and hi this i smy first post lol im sorry...relaly tiredso ill spell check later k?)
Quoted for future reference :lol:

And, you'll find that there's a real load of good stuff on HLP. You can find recommendations of what to play in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:05:26 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
8SNIP<

(oh and hi this i smy first post lol im sorry...relaly tiredso ill spell check later k?)

Ahhhhhhhhh, Like minded individual.

Going back to FS1, i actually felt emotional at Losing the Galatae, Squealing like a pig when the Shivans first appeared, took out the Taurus, the jumped to my position and took out the Science cruiser..

Still, thinkin back, FS1 proves that shields are for nubs.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iranon

I still tighten up in my seat whenever I'm trying to defend a Terran vessel that throws its slashing beams all over the place... and often enough I'm going 'screw that, I'm out of here'.

Riding shockwaves after some massive explosion still makes me smile. Finishing off a capital ship, then blasting off with full afterburners feels good; destroying bombs the instant they left the bays is even better when I and the attacking bomber are bounced around like mad.

Story-wise, I found FS2 events more gripping.... the Lucifer was too impervious to conventional attacks, it was pretty clear it'd end in an equivalent to a Death Star run. FS2 felt more like a real war, with a feeling of 'we can do this if we play smart'; the losses hit harder because the ships in question didn't seemed doomed from the start. The suicide of the Colossus almost made me shout out loud because it really didn't seem necessary in my first playthrough.

I loved the user-made campaign with the feeling of being stuck with inferior hardware in Derelict and Homesick with a wing of equally cynical pilots... although Homesick made me wan to yell 'shut up about Lokis already! They're excellent fighters with a  badass heritage and I wouldn't trade mine for anything else!'

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Beating Forced Entry.  On any difficulty.

Offline Krelus

The first time I created a mid-mission "fake warp" instead of a red-alert SEXP.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
My favourite was a split second thing - I was flying straight towards a group of 3 hostile fighters more or less dead on, getting pummelled with primaries, but with my shields pumped up enough to survive. just before I would have crashed into them, I weaved down a little, and they all peeled off in 3 separate directions. It was brilliant, like a choreographed piece of movie SFX. Of course, 999,999 times out of a million they'd just have rammed into me, but this one time made that all worthwhile :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:28:32 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
My favourite was a split second thing - I was flying straight towards a group of 3 hostile fighters more or less dead on, getting pummelled with primaries, but with my shields pumped up enough to survive. just before I would have crashed into them, I weaved down a little, and they all peeled off in 3 separate directions. It was brilliant, like a choreographed piece of movie SFX. Of course, 999,999 times out of a million they'd just have rammed into me, but this one time made that all worthwhile :)
If only such things could be scripted.

I like the Colossus in the way that there's no beam blind spot you can sneak in like the Sathanas. If a powerful ship attacked the Sathanas from broadside or rear there's no way the Sathanas can easily destroy it. It can't be said for the Colossus though . . .  ;7

That pretty much fits Terran methodology.

Terrans have beams firing to all sides.

Vasudans have beams firing to the top.

Shivans have beams firing to the front.