Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762619 times)

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Only problem I've had so far is when I enabled everything when I first started the launcher, if I do enable everything the game will lock up, stall, lag, and generally not work right, but that would be my own fault for doing that without a video card installed wouldn't it?
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Did you enable everything?  There are experimental, troubleshooting, and multiplayer options that don't need enabling.  See my post from earlier.

Erg.  Time to post the problem solver again.

Can you post your directory listing?  Start->Run, type
Code: [Select]
cmd press enter
type
dir "c:\games\freespace2" /s>"%homepath%\my documents\fs2dir.txt"(replace c:\games\freespace2 with your fs2 dir drive / path as neccessary)
Then, post it, hit "Additional Options", hit "Browse", find your fs2dir.txt file in your My Documents folder, then post it - if you don't see "Additional Options", then hit the "Preview" button first, then it will show up.

K?  :)

Compare it with my working version, seen below.

Thx for your reply, but I'm running fsopen on OS X and the directory listing isn't quite the same. Ofcourse I don't have any extra mods (yet) like you have :)

You can find my directory listing at http://users.pandora.be/silencer/FS_listing.txt.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
eh, can you type "du -?" and tell me what that gives you?  or "du -h" or whatever Mac OS X uses to give command line options & explainations.  Then I can tell you what to type.

eh, can you type "du -?" and tell me what that gives you?  or "du -h" or whatever Mac OS X uses to give command line options & explainations.  Then I can tell you what to type.

I updated the file. The command I used is on the first line. I also made a file from the man page of the du command for you: http://users.pandora.be/silencer/du_man.txt. Some letters are repeated, those are normally in bold in the terminal ;-).

Thx for the help
Tomas

Did you enable everything?  There are experimental, troubleshooting, and multiplayer options that don't need enabling.  See my post from earlier.

Well yea I enabled everything, LOL I fixed that problem, I only have enabled what I had enabled when I had my old computer.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Gah!  Turey, can you make sense of that?  There seems to be something not quite right there... :eek2:

I updated the file. The command I used is on the first line. I also made a file from the man page of the du command for you: http://users.pandora.be/silencer/du_man.txt. Some letters are repeated, those are normally in bold in the terminal ;-).

Thx for the help
Tomas

One more thing. Before every file the installer was about to download, it said "File is out of date", then went ahead and downloaded it anyway. Don't know if that matters.

Btw, I can't continue playing. I'm in the special ops mission where you have to shoot asteroids flying towards the iceni, but I can't see the asteroids ;).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:14:59 am by tomas1601 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
One more thing. Before every file the installer was about to download, it said "File is out of date", then went ahead and downloaded it anyway. Don't know if that matters.

Btw, I can't continue playing. I'm in the special ops mission where you have to shoot asteroids flying towards the iceni, but I can't see the asteroids ;).

Enabe jpeg/tga textures.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

It's already enabled. My commandline is:

-spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -img2dds -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -loadallweps -fps -mod mediavps
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:06:30 pm by tomas1601 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Try:
-spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -no_vsync -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -fps -mod mediavps

Still no difference. Would it help if I deleted everything and ran the installer again?

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I've got a littel problem since i updated my files. I had marked "yes to all" and the freespace 2 retail core files were added. since then i have some bugs into my hud. for example there is missing the "1". This means, f i am 10000 units away from something, i see nothing but " 0000"

in a distance of 1231 i see  " 23 "

The same goes for missile slots  " 0" missiles instead of "10" shown and so on.

Adding to this there are some other symbols missing, like the triangle pointers showing which wepons are in use, which missiles are loaded or if its single or double shot.

It's not unplayable, but it is a pain so far.

Can anyone help me to ged rid of my problem?
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Erg.  Time to post the problem solver again.

Can you post your directory listing?  Start->Run, type
cmd press enter
type
dir "c:\games\freespace2" /s>"%homepath%\my documents\fs2dir.txt"(replace c:\games\freespace2 with your fs2 dir drive / path as neccessary)
Then, post it, hit "Additional Options", hit "Browse", find your fs2dir.txt file in your My Documents folder, then post it - if you don't see "Additional Options", then hit the "Preview" button first, then it will show up.

K?  :)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
In fact, it seems there is no fs2dir.txt anywhere on my system. O.o

Edit: I don't know if i should call myself stupid or not. But i installed FS2Open over a German Retail Version und it went fine. Now, the update screwed up, so i changed the registry value from German to English and now everything is how it should be.

Problem solved.

Intereseting part remains, why there was this kind of bug occuring, which not existed before.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:10:52 pm by Sarkoth »
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

The fs2dir.txt file is normally created by the command jr2 was telling you to run ;-). It's just a list of the files and directory structure of the game, so they can help you ;-).

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Hey, I want to get this for my ex-gf, she once expressed an interest in this...

Is it simple enough a non-computer-savvy person could use it? And does it include everything necessary from retail?

*sigh*
Thanks in advance.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Hey, I want to get this for my ex-gf, she once expressed an interest in this...

Is it simple enough a non-computer-savvy person could use it? And does it include everything necessary from retail?

*sigh*
Thanks in advance.

Yes and Yes. If you want to make it even easier, you can give her this guide.

I took another screenshot of something that's clearly buggy/missing. Also, using the advanced effects mediavp's doesn't help. What was missing remains missing, and all the rest looks a lot better ;). I thought the adv_effects included high resolution asteroids though, guess I was wrong, because they remain invisible.

screen: http://users.pandora.be/silencer/screen.png