Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 164874 times)

Offline Flak

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
What does the CSA special do? Lower the morale of all fleets in the same system by 1 level, both hostile and friendly?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
1st Fleet - 'Fist of Silva' under the command of Rear Admiral Jason Ralwood (AdmiralRalwood) on the flagship Aurora
2nd Fleet - under the command of Rear Admiral Georgiy Kuznetsov (Admiral MS) on the flagship Nova
I half don't want to mention this in case it turns out to be bad luck and I die, but these should both say Vice Admiral...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

What does the CSA special do? Lower the morale of all fleets in the same system by 1 level, both hostile and friendly?
I think it's just a joke by Spoon, there's no description on what "Acting Smug" does. I don't think there is a special.

If I could think of anything to do with it as a special, I would have thought of the same effect as zeal, but since we already have zeal, it would be a manipulation tool. The Cyrvans contact a hierarchy fleet, and provoke it into attacking them that turn. It would be great for holding weak enemies in system, or breaking up organised attacks.

1st Fleet - 'Fist of Silva' under the command of Rear Admiral Jason Ralwood (AdmiralRalwood) on the flagship Aurora
2nd Fleet - under the command of Rear Admiral Georgiy Kuznetsov (Admiral MS) on the flagship Nova
I half don't want to mention this in case it turns out to be bad luck and I die, but these should both say Vice Admiral...

Are you nervous? :)

If you die, it won't be in vain though, for two reasons. First, the 2nd Hertak will die. And second, we may well have established a pattern, that the Hertak are crazy and fight to the death. The first time, it wasn't so crazy, they still had a decent chunk of health left, but unless this lot are also 150%, and I'd be surprised if they were because normal Hertak fleets are 100% in Spoon's list of normal stats, then they'll be very weak when they attack, still strong enough to tip you over the edge unfortunately, but very weak nontheless, and no enemy fleet has attacked in anywhere near that condition before, not even the fanatical Nordera.

Offline Flak

If you die while bringing down 2nd Hertak, at least you have a chance to scream at them Madness? THIS! IS! HYDRAAAAA!

How long will the replacement fleet rebuilt after a fleet was destroyed?  Will the map get expanded as well?

So, 1st LSF attacks who?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
2nd Fura'ngle is more dangerous and has woeful morale... although I think they need to be reduced to ~50% for morale to be a factor.   Anyway, I believe that if you attack 2nd Fura'ngle and then 1st Zy + 2nd Fura'ngle + 5th Cordi attack you back you'll be left on -4% fighters & 1% capships  :eek2: (actually, what happens if fighters are reduced to -4%?  Does that damage transfer to capships?)

If you don't attack and they all attack you, I think you'll be left with 10% fighters & 16% capships.

edit: for clarity
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:09:30 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ouch.  I guess I can't defend, either as the system is contested.  I guess 2nd SF and I shall have to hold the line.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well... the 2nd SF is worse off than you, if they don't leave they'll be destroyed by a triple team (although should just survive a double team), even if they don't attack.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well, crap.  Looks like 1st LSF is stuck holding the line by itself.  Again.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah, just sitting there waiting for the hammer to fall on you is not much fun :(

edit: Ah, why not, the 2nd UGCR will join you to hold the line and give em another target.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:15:49 am by niffiwan »
----
----

Offline Lorric

There's no way everyone will attack. They're not just going to let Tauri be inaccessible. If they leave Tauri without taking it, they can't re-enter it.

niffiwan, you're just wasting an action moving into Aldebaran. They'll all attack one fleet whether you're there or not.

And yes, the 1st LSF would be best to simply sit where it is for this turn.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:25:23 am by Lorric »

Offline Flak

The UGCR fleets are the best tank I think.

Offline Lorric

Indeed. But now that the hierarchy is in murder-death-kill mode, I don't think they'll oblige us by attacking our tanks. niffiwan will go untouched I'm sure if he moves into Aldebaran. Better to restore to full strength. The 1st LSF is strong. They'll be fine. And I'm sure they won't be triple teamed, my expectation is they'll be able to attack the turn after this one, then leave the system with 2nd action.

2nd LSF is still missing an order. If things stay this way (only 2 fleets attacking 2nd hertak) the hierarchy can choose to either kill me (2nd DD) or 1st DD by moving either 1st Fura or 2nd Hertak to another system. I think they would choose my fleet since it'll be the last remaining in Hydra (3rd SF has a retreat order) and they can do a higher effective damage (80% fleet strength compared to 60% of the 1st DD). That said, I want to hold Hydra and and I'll survive if I don't attack - the 3rd SF retreats anyway and survives the full damage of 2nd Hertak.
It doesn't matter if I attack them or not since they can destroy 1st DD in both cases if they want. The only difference is if they destroy me and 2nd LSF stays inactive, even 1st CSA will have a hard time against 3 hostile fleets and there are no other fleets ready to reinforce them next turn.
I don't like the idea of losing a fellow fleet but that's a given in case of a 2nd Hertak suicide attack (even if 2nd LSF joined the attack).

I changed my order to do nothing next turn.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:43:07 pm by Admiral MS »
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Lorric

Gah. We could have got on the front foot, and now we're going to be firmly on the back foot.

No blame to you, MS. It's a smart move under the circumstances.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
What, I can't play a Zy? Lame.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Indeed. But now that the hierarchy is in murder-death-kill mode, I don't think they'll oblige us by attacking our tanks. niffiwan will go untouched I'm sure if he moves into Aldebaran. Better to restore to full strength. The 1st LSF is strong. They'll be fine. And I'm sure they won't be triple teamed, my expectation is they'll be able to attack the turn after this one, then leave the system with 2nd action.

Agreed that there's a decent chance that 2nd UGCR won't be attacked.  On the other hand, I'm only ~15% down on strength so a resupply represents a small amount of wasted credits.  And, "probably not" attacked is still more likely than "can't be attacked".  Perhaps most importantly, in the event that the 1st LSF gets a pasting, the 2nd UGCR being in-system will let them retreat in the 1st move without damage & then resupply next turn, thus what is probably our best fleet will be back in action sooner.

And, on the triple team chance, if the Zy can bypass a starlance with one fleet, why can't all their fleets do it, thus diminishing the importance of them holding Tauri right now.
----
----

Offline Lorric

And, on the triple team chance, if the Zy can bypass a starlance with one fleet, why can't all their fleets do it, thus diminishing the importance of them holding Tauri right now.
That's a good point.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Rear Admiral Jason Ralwood. Thou Fleet has been bested. Though the soldiers under thy command fought valiantly.
Does thou wish to continue?
Yes / No

If yes, your admiral will have made it to the life pods and lives to fight an other day. A new fleet will be constructed at the cost of 50 resources. But it will take some time before it gets ready.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Good call niffiwan, you saved the 1st LSF.

Spoon, that system is friendly. Surely Tauri can give us some better intel than that on what the Zy left behind.