Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163706 times)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
Thank you. I appreciate not being left to fight alone and hope we will not come to regret this.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

Thank you. I appreciate not being left to fight alone and hope we will not come to regret this.
Indeed. And now that Veers is on board, Sparda, if you please, attack the 3rd Hertak as well, and then they will fall next turn.

EDIT: I just realised DJ attacking then Blitzing the Cordi covers my retreat. Nice one! :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:25:50 pm by Lorric »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
That was the intention. :D
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
OK, so which fleet should we attack? We've got to hit the Doomstack hard if we want any hope of surviving it's retaliation...

Offline Lorric

OK, so which fleet should we attack? We've got to hit the Doomstack hard if we want any hope of surviving it's retaliation...
I'm leaning towards the 2nd Fura'ngle. I wouldn't be fussed if you attacked the 1st, but I would choose the 2nd.

Let's see...

2nd Fura'ngle Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 16 (16)
Capital attack strength: 20 (20)
Fighters at 91% Strength
Capital ships at 91% Strength
Morale: Normal

(oh and that's a quote from the game thread, they shouldn't be doing full damage, it should be 15/18.)

so
15+9=24
18+8=23

vs

1st CSA Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 19+8=27 (23)
Capital attack strength: 16+10=26 (20)
Fighters at 82% Strength
Capital ships at 81% Strength
Morale: Normal

2nd LSF Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 22+7+1=30 (19+2+1)
Capital attack strength: 14+11+1=26 (14+1)
Fighters at 100% Strength, 3rd Gen
Capital ships at 93% Strength
Morale: High
Combined Arms prepared
Combined Arms on Cooldown, Available again on turn 12

So the CSA will take 12 damage to both fighters and capships, while the LSF will take 10 to both due to Combined Arms. The Fura'ngle will take 57/52 and be reduced to 34/39.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The question is would reducing them to 34/39 cause the counterattack from the 1st/2nd Fura+Flag Hertak be survivable? Because if it isn't it may be better to GTFO (I'll eat the retreat damage). Since we're not killing them either way.

Actually from the looks of it, the 1st Fura and Flag Hertak alone could kill me (could be wrong, didn't run the numbers, just looking at their attack strength when they killed the 4th CRF). That extra 12 capship damage from the attack probably seals the deal. Not sure if trading a fleet-and-a-bit for 2/3rds of a fleet is a good trade.

Actually, I could pull back after that attack - more pressing is if the 2nd LSF could survive.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:59:03 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Veers

That's what I'm worried about, we cant go losing fleets. Left and right.

Hence why I'm worried about my position in Draco, not with the attack but the potential counter-attacks. Potential for upto 2 fleets lost there, of course assuming everything proceeds one way, to the letter.

Very tight endgame, lets get it done regardless!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

Someone dies either way. The Doomstack could simply take in the 4th Hertak and be even stronger.

I wouldn't mind if there was no attack besides the one on the 3rd Hertak either. The way I see it we will lose this current fight eventually. The Hierarchy is just too strong. What we have to do is kill as many enemy fleets as possible in doing so, while having the supplies to replace our losses, which the Hierarchy can't do. When we are finally overstretched, everyone retreats back to the Sol area, our lost fleets will have returned, and then we hit them with everything we have, all our fleets will be restored, everyone will be Defending, everyone will have their specials ready, and we just have to hope we have enough strength to win the final battle.

I wonder if you will respawn at Sol, Droid. You have a Cyrvan fleet...

Offline Droid803

I doubt my fleet can respawn at all.
Even if it did, would probably arrive from Silva, like where it first arrived. Not exactly the most ideal location if your last-stand scenario comes into play.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:58:15 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Lorric

I doubt my fleet can respawn at all.
I don't think Spoon would cut you out of the game when everyone else gets to come back if they die, provided we have the supplies.

Unless you know something I don't, you must have cooked something up between you and Spoon for your late entry into the game.

You might be okay though. You have the best fleet outside of Enioch, it would make the most sense to eliminate you, yet you've been left alone, you could have been eliminated a while ago.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I just noticed, we're going to exceed the stack limit in Aldebaran. Maybe one of Lorric/AndrewOfDoom/Jellyfish could move through to Virgo?  Or Jellyfish could stay in Algol?

Edit:  Veers, you could also consider attacking the 3rd Hertak then retreating to Vega?

Edit2: Based on some calculations, if we proceed with:

3 DD / 1 CRF / 1 LSF ==> 3rd Hertak
2 LSF / 1 CSA ==> 2nd Fura

If the Hierarchy leave a fleet in Kardoen, we'll could lose one fleet with a 2nd heavily damaged (e.g. lose 1 CSA, 1 LSF @ 19/10)
If the Hierarchy do NOT leave a fleet in Kardoen (which I consider unlikely, given that the 2nd UGCR could then cut their supply lines unopposed) then we could lose 2 fleets (e.g. 1 CSA & 1 LSF)
If the Nordera fleets kamikaze, then all bets are off, we could lose more fleets, maybe 3.  Or we may lose the 3 DD instead.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned about the 3rd Zy.  Due to the special nature of Aquarius, they can leave straight away and make a run for Sol, or capture Tamy or Virgo.  Therefore it *may* be useful if the 3 SF were to move to Tamy as a block (having to give up a resupply to do so), and ditto for one of the northern fleets & Virgo.

Any thoughts/comments?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:07:08 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

I just noticed, we're going to exceed the stack limit in Aldebaran. Maybe one of Lorric/AndrewOfDoom/Jellyfish could move through to Virgo?  Or Jellyfish could stay in Algol?

Edit:  Veers, you could also consider attacking the 3rd Hertak then retreating to Vega?

Edit2: Based on some calculations, if we proceed with:

3 DD / 1 CRF / 1 LSF ==> 3rd Hertak
2 LSF / 1 CSA ==> 2nd Fura

If the Hierarchy leave a fleet in Kardoen, we'll could lose one fleet with a 2nd heavily damaged (e.g. lose 1 CSA, 1 LSF @ 19/10)
If the Hierarchy do NOT leave a fleet in Kardoen (which I consider unlikely, given that the 2nd UGCR could then cut their supply lines unopposed) then we could lose 2 fleets (e.g. 1 CSA & 1 LSF)
If the Nordera fleets kamikaze, then all bets are off, we could lose more fleets, maybe 3.  Or we may lose the 3 DD instead.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned about the 3rd Zy.  Due to the special nature of Aquarius, they can leave straight away and make a run for Sol, or capture Tamy or Virgo.  Therefore it *may* be useful if the 3 SF were to move to Tamy as a block (having to give up a resupply to do so), and ditto for one of the northern fleets & Virgo.

Any thoughts/comments?
Andrew needs to move. Perhaps he could come and see you. And merc up, since Spoon is letting you merc up. Two merced fleets will give the hierarchy something to think about.

3rd Zy proved this turn they can simply slipstream in and slipstream out without us being able to do anything about it. I'm not worried about Sol, our reborn fleets are up there. If the 2nd SF performs a double Resupply this turn, it will be free to chase the Zy around, if a game of cat and mouse needs to be played.

Bottom line they can jump to anywhere they want and capture it. But if they do, that will leave them open to a counterattack by us. They can't do anything on their own behind us unsupported like that. They are a minor annoyance.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
oh yeah, the reborn fleets, forgot about them.  I just had mad visions of the Zy scurrying off to earth while we stomped everyone else into the ground at the frontlines :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Okay, let's see what we're missing...

The 2nd SF needs to do it's double Resupply.

Sparda needs to attack the 3rd Hertak.

Andrew needs to make his move.

And Droid and Dragon need to decide whether to attack or not. I would.

Offline Veers

Any thoughts/comments?

Sorry, attack first move and retreat second?

Would that A) assist everyone in destroying 3rd Her'tak and
B) Allowing me to survive?

Sorry, don't have time to check the figures myself. It's the counter-attack I'm worried about losing the 1st in, not the initial assault.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yep, attack 1st & move 2nd should still destroy the 3rd Hertak, and give you a better chance of surviving.  i.e. you won't be able to be attacked by anyone except the 3rd Zy... if they do attack you then you're probably doomed though :(  On the other hand if you stay in Draco, I'd say that someone will almost certainly destroy you as well. 

i.e. by my calcs (if they're correct) the Hierarchy have the following damage to dish out next turn in the south:

3rd Zy Fleet: 33/32
1st Fura'ngle Fleet: 33/35
2nd Fura'ngle Fleet: 13/13
Hertak Flag Fleet: 43/48
4th Hertak Fleet: 37/41
4th Nordera Fleet: 16/16
5th Nordera Fleet: 17/16

And all our fleets will be at:
2nd SF Fleet: 100/100
3rd SF Fleet: 100/100
3rd DD Fleet: 167/152
1st CRF Fleet: 32/28
1st LSF Fleet: 89/86
2nd LSF Fleet: 89/81
1st CSA Fleet: 69/67
2nd UGCR Fleet: 166/142

----
----

Offline Droid803

YOLO.
Let's hit the Fura.

Here's hoping I don't have this totally wrong and the 2nd LSF can actually cover my retreat, and that it's not a completely stupid/futile idea.
(´・ω・`)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
well.... the 2nd LSF could still cover your retreat... i.e. you move back to Odin with your 2nd action, leaving them to face the music  :nervous:

No matter what though, someone's fleet is going to be destroyed. Even with the 3rd Hertak down and the 2nd Fura hurting they've got 35+41+48=124% capship damage they can dish out to one fleet in Hydra or Draco (and max 16+16+13=45 to another fleet in Hydra or Draco as well)
----
----

Offline Veers

If I do happen to die, I have had a death... umm.. Heroic Demise theme all sorted.. :D

Plus a new Royal type-ish theme :) (No, this does not give you permission to wipe me out just for music!)

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
If they do move to Draco, I will need people to jump in and cover my retreat to Aqua. My superfleet will be on its last legs, if I gets hit for 120+ dmg.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)